Brake pad fault

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
NeilyRS
Neutral
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat May 16, 2015 10:27 am

Brake pad fault

Post by NeilyRS » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:50 am

Hello all,

Don't post on here very often however like to keep an eye on what's happening.

Hoped someone would be able to help. I have had an intermittent brake pad warning fault for around 4 years.

Recently changed my front discs and pads with OEM parts/sensors etc and all terminals looked ok visually. Since changing the fault is still in. Dash states 'OK' when turning ignition on however after a few seconds reverts back to fault!

Any advice/things to check?

Cheers
Neil

User avatar
Jon_J
5th Gear
Posts: 1163
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:20 am

Re: Brake pad fault

Post by Jon_J » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:56 am

NeilyRS wrote:Hello all,

Don't post on here very often however like to keep an eye on what's happening.

Hoped someone would be able to help. I have had an intermittent brake pad warning fault for around 4 years.

Recently changed my front discs and pads with OEM parts/sensors etc and all terminals looked ok visually. Since changing the fault is still in. Dash states 'OK' when turning ignition on however after a few seconds reverts back to fault!

Any advice/things to check?

Cheers
Neil
Mine was doing the his for a while. I cleaned the terminals with contact cleaner and it seems to have gone away now?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White
S4 B7 Phantom Black (gone but not forgotten)
A4 B7 Avant 2.7 TDI Brilliant Red
A5 Cab 3.0 TDI Phantom Black

irishmike
3rd Gear
Posts: 355
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:52 pm

Re: Brake pad fault

Post by irishmike » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:05 am

Odd, I just started getting this recently.
Car was in for a service a month ago so I know the pads are fine.
Will check the contacts.

User avatar
Jon_J
5th Gear
Posts: 1163
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:20 am

Re: Brake pad fault

Post by Jon_J » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:06 am

irishmike wrote:Odd, I just started getting this recently.
Car was in for a service a month ago so I know the pads are fine.
Will check the contacts.
Do you know how it works?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White
S4 B7 Phantom Black (gone but not forgotten)
A4 B7 Avant 2.7 TDI Brilliant Red
A5 Cab 3.0 TDI Phantom Black

irishmike
3rd Gear
Posts: 355
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:52 pm

Re: Brake pad fault

Post by irishmike » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:09 am

A bit of advice would be helpful :)

User avatar
Jon_J
5th Gear
Posts: 1163
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:20 am

Re: Brake pad fault

Post by Jon_J » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:20 am

irishmike wrote:A bit of advice would be helpful :)
So there are two wires, when everything is working correctly you have a closed circuit. By that I mean the wires effectively are connected to each other.

As the pad wears down it has a section of the wire embedded in the pad and it wears trough the wire. This opens the circuit so the wires are no longer touching each other and the warning comes up.

Some people when they get fed up with the warnings unplug the pads and join the wires inside the connector, this closes the circuit and stops the warning coming up.

So as a few checks. If you have a multi meter you can check the pads have a closed circuit. Effectively when you look at the pad terminal, the voltage goes down the pin into the pad and back up the other pin. As I said, when the pad wears the voltage will go down but not come back up the other pin as the wire is broken.

You can also test the car by bridging the terminals. If you put a piece of wire across the car pins the warning light should go off.

If they don’t go off I would clean the terminals up will and try again. If it still doesn’t work you could be looking at a break in a wire further up from the terminal.

Hope this helps


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White
S4 B7 Phantom Black (gone but not forgotten)
A4 B7 Avant 2.7 TDI Brilliant Red
A5 Cab 3.0 TDI Phantom Black

irishmike
3rd Gear
Posts: 355
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:52 pm

Re: Brake pad fault

Post by irishmike » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:29 am

Perfect, thanks.
I was thinking along those lines, but the advice will be most helpful.

NeilyRS
Neutral
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat May 16, 2015 10:27 am

Re: Brake pad fault

Post by NeilyRS » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:47 am

Thanks for the replies

My dad is a mechanic and he said it's probably one of the terminals that is a bit dirty. Next time I'm back from work il get my wheels off again and get a look.

Should have done it when I replaced the discs and pads! I was surprised however, how easy the discs and pads were to replace.

Thanks again

neil_f
2nd Gear
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:45 am

Re: Brake pad fault

Post by neil_f » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:58 pm

NeilyRS wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:47 am
Thanks for the replies

My dad is a mechanic and he said it's probably one of the terminals that is a bit dirty. Next time I'm back from work il get my wheels off again and get a look.

Should have done it when I replaced the discs and pads! I was surprised however, how easy the discs and pads were to replace.

Thanks again
I've experienced the same thing recently and also changed the discs and pads. As suggested, turned out to be a dirty connector. Guess the pins in the caliper hadn't seized when you did it as it took me about 4hrs by the time I drilled them all out!

NeilyRS
Neutral
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat May 16, 2015 10:27 am

Re: Brake pad fault

Post by NeilyRS » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:14 pm

neil_f wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:58 pm
[quote=NeilyRS post_id=892268 time=<a href="tel:1533721673">1533721673</a> user_id=37632]

I've experienced the same thing recently and also changed the discs and pads. As suggested, turned out to be a dirty connector. Guess the pins in the caliper hadn't seized when you did it as it took me about 4hrs by the time I drilled them all out!
My dad had the discs off last year for a clean up so I dare say this made it a lot easier.

arthur.d
4th Gear
Posts: 619
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:01 pm

Re: Brake pad fault

Post by arthur.d » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:29 pm

if you get stuck-particularly wih the new mot rules the light can be put out permenantly by earthing it in the passenger footwell....

User avatar
dhali
4th Gear
Posts: 693
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:44 pm

Re: Brake pad fault

Post by dhali » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:31 pm

arthur.d wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:29 pm
if you get stuck-particularly wih the new mot rules the light can be put out permenantly by earthing it in the passenger footwell....
That's handy to know . More details please.

neil_f
2nd Gear
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:45 am

Re: Brake pad fault

Post by neil_f » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:04 pm

dhali wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:31 pm
arthur.d wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:29 pm
if you get stuck-particularly wih the new mot rules the light can be put out permenantly by earthing it in the passenger footwell....
That's handy to know . More details please.
Think this guide might help :
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthrea ... t-solution
Wiring is in passenger kick panel in our model and not driver as stated in the guide .

User avatar
dhali
4th Gear
Posts: 693
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:44 pm

Re: Brake pad fault

Post by dhali » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:18 pm

Cool thanks

arthur.d
4th Gear
Posts: 619
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:01 pm

Re: Brake pad fault

Post by arthur.d » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:54 pm

its a 2 minute fix in practice
i coded my skoda vrs tdi one off-even easier but sadly you cant do this with the b7

Post Reply

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 58 guests