Audio upgrades

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
AlexB7RS4
2nd Gear

Audio upgrades

Post by AlexB7RS4 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:12 am

Getting a bit tired of the crappy Bose, and never did get the sub working again after installing the Alpine INE-W928R.

Thinking of replacing amp, speakers and sub with some good quality units - focal or similar. Anyone had much experience with this? I assume I'll need to run new amp cabling, but can I get away with using the existing cabling for speakers and comms to head unit, or does all this need to be replaced?

I looked through Jon's Saloon audio build thread, which was impressive, but way beyond what I need for my taste.

Jon_J
5th Gear

Re: Audio upgrades

Post by Jon_J » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:23 am

AlexB7RS4 wrote:Getting a bit tired of the crappy Bose, and never did get the sub working again after installing the Alpine INE-W928R.

Thinking of replacing amp, speakers and sub with some good quality units - focal or similar. Anyone had much experience with this? I assume I'll need to run new amp cabling, but can I get away with using the existing cabling for speakers and comms to head unit, or does all this need to be replaced?

I looked through Jon's Saloon audio build thread, which was impressive, but way beyond what I need for my taste.

Haha

You can cut it back. You can install an amp using your stereos outputs to connect to a sub, you can just change the components in the car and leave the running from the BOSE amp.

Both of these will make a huge difference and can be done in small stages to keep the cost under control as well as deciding what you like as you go along.

Happy to help as you go along

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White
S4 B7 Phantom Black (gone but not forgotten)
A4 B7 Avant 2.7 TDI Brilliant Red
A5 Cab 3.0 TDI Phantom Black

AlexB7RS4
2nd Gear

Post by AlexB7RS4 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:41 am

Thanks, might be a good call as a staged approach.

I still have an annoying static noise coming from the speakers at low volumes (disappears at higher volumes). Sounds like the noise a radio makes when on a blank channel. This is the primary reason for wanting to swap the amp out. I've had it into the local car audio place twice, down $300 in labour, and it's improved but not gone.

Jon_J
5th Gear

Post by Jon_J » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:53 am

AlexB7RS4 wrote:Thanks, might be a good call as a staged approach.

I still have an annoying static noise coming from the speakers at low volumes (disappears at higher volumes). Sounds like the noise a radio makes when on a blank channel. This is the primary reason for wanting to swap the amp out. I've had it into the local car audio place twice, down $300 in labour, and it's improved but not gone.
It’ll be the amp for definite, I wants a specific signal from the head unit and your new one won’t be it.

The wiring piece isn’t that daunting, you don’t have to do the loom like I have, you could just cut it before the amp and then solder into what you need.

RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White

AlexB7RS4
2nd Gear

Post by AlexB7RS4 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:12 am

I'm not that daunted by the work really, just limited in time and would rather do it myself than pay someone else lots of $. Cutting existing wiring and re-connecting would be fine, just trying to avoid pulling the whole floor or roof apart to run cabling. Done it before and it's a time consuming and frustrating experience.

Are there decent slimline subs that can go into the factory location?

Jon_J
5th Gear

Post by Jon_J » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:16 am

AlexB7RS4 wrote:I'm not that daunted by the work really, just limited in time and would rather do it myself than pay someone else lots of $. Cutting existing wiring and re-connecting would be fine, just trying to avoid pulling the whole floor or roof apart to run cabling. Done it before and it's a time consuming and frustrating experience.

Are there decent slimline subs that can go into the factory location?
In that case it’s a doddle, the only carpet you need to expose is the right rear boot carpet, that gives you access to the amp and inputs and outputs.

No need to run door speakers just use what is there.

Rockford to a slim 8 inch that may fit in the existing hole. The issue is not size and fitment , the issue will be finding a sub that sounds even sensible without some sort of enclosure behind it.

RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White

AlexB7RS4
2nd Gear

Post by AlexB7RS4 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:36 am

Yeah that is a point. It's an Avant and I want to keep the storage space. I did see someone else's car (maybe Faisal's?) with a sub installed into a custom enclosure in the rear left, out of the way. Might be able to copy that setup.

Jon_J
5th Gear

Audio upgrades

Post by Jon_J » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:47 am

AlexB7RS4 wrote:Yeah that is a point. It's an Avant and I want to keep the storage space. I did see someone else's car (maybe Faisal's?) with a sub installed into a custom enclosure in the rear left, out of the way. Might be able to copy that setup.
@pule333 has one too. He has a build thread with the details in it.

RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”