Has anyone had their windscreen replaced

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
KWheeler
1st Gear

Has anyone had their windscreen replaced

Post by KWheeler » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:29 pm

A trip down to Cornwall resulted in a nasty crack in the windscreen, I'm a little concerned around going through my insurance companies windscreen provider as I very much doubt it will be a like for like replacement for the existing glass which according to Audi has a slight green tint to it (along with auto wipers). Have any of you guys had a replacement screen fitted and if so did you notice the difference from the original glass from Audi?
2010 RS6 Plus saloon number 433 in Mugello blue Stage 1 APR map and filter, Milltek Non Resonated, RR 655PS/949NM
Interior Audi exclusive leather package 2 in valcona, climate comfort seats, electric steering column, adaptive cruise, parking system advanced, garage door opener, UV glass.

Current:
10 RS6 Plus Stage 1
15 Golf R stage 1

Previous:
07 RS4 saloon Mugello blue
07 MKV R32
03 Impreza STI
99 RX7 Type R
01 TT 225Q
97 A4 2.8Q

Jon_J
5th Gear

Re: Has anyone had their windscreen replaced

Post by Jon_J » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:40 pm

KWheeler wrote:A trip down to Cornwall resulted in a nasty crack in the windscreen, I'm a little concerned around going through my insurance companies windscreen provider as I very much doubt it will be a like for like replacement for the existing glass which according to Audi has a slight green tint to it (along with auto wipers). Have any of you guys had a replacement screen fitted and if so did you notice the difference from the original glass from Audi?

Yes.

Just tell them what you want. I had OEM glass without auto wipers originally. I had them fit OEM glass with auto wipers after it had a small crack (created by my hammer).

You pay slightly more for OEM glass but it’s still stupid cheap.

Just be clear and tell them what you want. It’s your car, not theirs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White
S4 B7 Phantom Black (gone but not forgotten)
A4 B7 Avant 2.7 TDI Brilliant Red
A5 Cab 3.0 TDI Phantom Black

Mav8
3rd Gear

Post by Mav8 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:17 pm

I purchased an OEM screen,and had fitted privately,felt happier diong this although it was a bit more expensive.As Jon said there not that expensive, mine was £200ish plus fitting.
Mav8
RS3- Sepang
Gone
F80-M3
B7-RS4
B5-RS4

The_Coat
4th Gear

Post by The_Coat » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:44 pm

I had one fitted last year by Audi, £241.73.

Also had the two black strips down the side replaced at £10 odd each to freshen it up.

That's just a standard screen no auto lights etc.Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

RS4 Avant - Misano Red

Jon_J
5th Gear

Post by Jon_J » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:47 pm

Mav8 wrote:I purchased an OEM screen,and had fitted privately,felt happier diong this although it was a bit more expensive.As Jon said there not that expensive, mine was £200ish plus fitting.
Mav8
I think mine was £80 under the insurance.

Either way it’s not expensive and you can put whatever screen you like on. It’s yours Image

RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White

Mav8
3rd Gear

Post by Mav8 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:54 pm

The_Coat wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:44 pm
I had one fitted last year by Audi, £241.73.

Also had the two black strips down the side replaced at £10 odd each to freshen it up.

That's just a standard screen no auto lights etc.Image

Mine has the auto lights,so decided to sort it all out myself,no real hassle.
RS3- Sepang
Gone
F80-M3
B7-RS4
B5-RS4

KWheeler
1st Gear

Post by KWheeler » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:03 pm

Hi Chaps thanks for all your replies. I popped into Southend Audi and the glass is around £340 inc VAT with the auto wipers. If the glass company for whatever reason cannot provide me OEM glass with correct tint then I expect I'll just pay for it out of my own pocket. Obviously I would like to avoid additional expense where possible but to the same degree I want it exactly as it should be.
2010 RS6 Plus saloon number 433 in Mugello blue Stage 1 APR map and filter, Milltek Non Resonated, RR 655PS/949NM
Interior Audi exclusive leather package 2 in valcona, climate comfort seats, electric steering column, adaptive cruise, parking system advanced, garage door opener, UV glass.

Current:
10 RS6 Plus Stage 1
15 Golf R stage 1

Previous:
07 MKV R32
03 Impreza STI
99 RX7 Type R
01 TT 225Q
97 A4 2.8Q

Jon_J
5th Gear

Post by Jon_J » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:07 pm

KWheeler wrote:Hi Chaps thanks for all your replies. I popped into Southend Audi and the glass is around £340 inc VAT with the auto wipers. If the glass company for whatever reason cannot provide me OEM glass with correct tint then I expect I'll just pay for it out of my own pocket. Obviously I would like to avoid additional expense where possible but to the same degree I want it exactly as it should be.
They will provide it. Like I said at extra cost (but not full Audi price) and they’ll need to order it from Audi.

RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White

The_Coat
4th Gear

Post by The_Coat » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:16 pm

KWheeler wrote:Hi Chaps thanks for all your replies. I popped into Southend Audi and the glass is around £340 inc VAT with the auto wipers. If the glass company for whatever reason cannot provide me OEM glass with correct tint then I expect I'll just pay for it out of my own pocket. Obviously I would like to avoid additional expense where possible but to the same degree I want it exactly as it should be.
I had mine done at Southend Audi.

What RS4 you got as seen a few in the area lately.

RS4 Avant - Misano Red

KWheeler
1st Gear

Post by KWheeler » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:20 pm

The_Coat wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:16 pm

REG: X99KAW Muggy saloon, I live in Chalkwell area
IMG_6038.JPG

Current:
10 RS6 Plus Stage 1
15 Golf R stage 1

Previous:
07 MKV R32
03 Impreza STI
99 RX7 Type R
01 TT 225Q
97 A4 2.8Q

The_Coat
4th Gear

Post by The_Coat » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:29 pm

KWheeler wrote:
The_Coat wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:16 pm

REG: X99KAW Muggy saloon, I live in Chalkwell area
IMG_6038.JPG
Very nice, I'll keep an eye out.

I'm in Benfleet with a red Avant.

RS4 Avant - Misano Red

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:35 pm

It depends who you go to and who your insurer is. I went to autoglass or someone like that. I insisted on OEM glass and got the usual patter about this glass is the same or better and audi use this one for new factory cars now blah blah blah. They had to make a call to my insurers to ask them if they were willing to pay for an OEM screen. They said yes so I just had to pay the usual £75 fee.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:36 pm

Oh, and the guy turned up with a non oem screen so I had to send him packing until he had the proper screen.

dhali
4th Gear

Post by dhali » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:49 pm

MikeFish wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:36 pm
Oh, and the guy turned up with a non oem screen so I had to send him packing until he had the proper screen.

No doubt charging your insurance the price for an oem one if they got away with fitting it .

Jon_J
5th Gear

Post by Jon_J » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:58 pm

MikeFish wrote:Oh, and the guy turned up with a non oem screen so I had to send him packing until he had the proper screen.
That’s exactly what happened with me. Auto glass again. Agreed to do OEM, then bought non OEM, then two weeks later bought non light sensor, then finally got the screen correct, called on the Thursday night to say they would be with me Saturday morning and I wrote the car off Friday afternoon!

You couldn’t write it!

RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”