DRC what to do?

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
bennn
1st Gear

DRC what to do?

Post by bennn » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:15 pm

I'm convinced the DRC on my car isn't working properly.

It seems very bouncy particularly when cornering hard and you can feel a shake through the steering wheel when going over bumps. Its horrid and really ruining the car for me. There are a few slight noises but nothing horrendous (I think the noises are worn ball joints in the upper arms)

It's been to Audi for a VHC and they said it all looks quote new. The dampers have all been replaced previously and are the V3 type.

They noted the lower front arms were worn and I have replaced these but when doing so noted a bit of play in the upper arm ball joints.

Options are now to get the DRC recharged at Audi (unsure of the cost) and see how it goes. Presumably if it is in need of a charge it is leaking from somewhere?

Cut my losses now and replace with some Koni dampers keeping original springs.

I don't want coilovers and want to keep the ride height standard.

Leaning towards putting on the konis so I don't have to worry about it and as I've got to do the upper arms anyway it would be a good time to do it.

On the other hand it does seem a shame to get rid of it given that all the shocks look to be ok.

Then again, I don't think it's been working properly since I've owned the car so I won't miss what I've never had!

What are people's thoughts?

Jon_J
5th Gear

Re: DRC what to do?

Post by Jon_J » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:33 pm

bennn wrote:I'm convinced the DRC on my car isn't working properly.

It seems very bouncy particularly when cornering hard and you can feel a shake through the steering wheel when going over bumps. Its horrid and really ruining the car for me. There are a few slight noises but nothing horrendous (I think the noises are worn ball joints in the upper arms)

It's been to Audi for a VHC and they said it all looks quote new. The dampers have all been replaced previously and are the V3 type.

They noted the lower front arms were worn and I have replaced these but when doing so noted a bit of play in the upper arm ball joints.

Options are now to get the DRC recharged at Audi (unsure of the cost) and see how it goes. Presumably if it is in need of a charge it is leaking from somewhere?

Leaning towards putting on the konis so I don't have to worry about it and as I've got to do the upper arms anyway it would be a good time to do it.

On the other hand it does seem a shame to get rid of it given that all the shocks look to be ok.

Then again, I don't think it's been working properly since I've owned the car so I won't miss what I've never had!

At some point you’ll need to replace it, there are two schools of thought.

Stay completely OEM and just swallow the costs of replacing the dampers each time they go. They are on V3 already. It won’t be the last time they need replacing.

Or get rid and fit something else. Coil overs is the obvious choice as you get a similar ride but the benefit of adjusting the height.

FYI - you can still run standard ride height with coilovers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White
S4 B7 Phantom Black (gone but not forgotten)
A4 B7 Avant 2.7 TDI Brilliant Red
A5 Cab 3.0 TDI Phantom Black

Pistolpete2543
3rd Gear

Post by Pistolpete2543 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:11 pm

A recharge will cost about £250. If the DRC was at fault then you’d either have a noticeable leak somewhere or a very obvious knock from the suspension that sounded like a golf ball rattling in a door pocket. Doesn’t sound like you have symptoms of DRC failure.

bennn
1st Gear

Post by bennn » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:39 pm

Pistolpete2543 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:11 pm
A recharge will cost about £250. If the DRC was at fault then you’d either have a noticeable leak somewhere or a very obvious knock from the suspension that sounded like a golf ball rattling in a door pocket. Doesn’t sound like you have symptoms of DRC failure.
Something definitely isn't right with the shocks as it is very bouncy and as a result handles and rideslike <beep>. If you push down on the N/S it bounces a bit rather than just returning to the top like the other side.

I don't have any visible leaks which is why I was wondering if a recharge would sort it but surely the fluid must go somewhere.

bennn
1st Gear

Post by bennn » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:56 pm

Jon_J wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:33 pm
bennn wrote:I'm convinced the DRC on my car isn't working properly.

At some point you’ll need to replace it, there are two schools of thought.

Stay completely OEM and just swallow the costs of replacing the dampers each time they go. They are on V3 already. It won’t be the last time they need replacing.

Or get rid and fit something else. Coil overs is the obvious choice as you get a similar ride but the benefit of adjusting the height.

FYI - you can still run standard ride height with coilovers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't know you could keep it standard height with coilovers i thougnt it would be at leasy 30mm lower.

I think I'd be happy enough with a standard shock and spring anyway.

coffey555
5th Gear

Post by coffey555 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:14 pm

Keep in mind that you should really sevice the dampers in your coilover kits as well.
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

neil_f
2nd Gear

Post by neil_f » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:39 pm

I was in the same predicament last week after a pipe burst on mine. Annoyingly when I bought my rs4 i thought the drc might last as it had a reciept for over 4l replacing all the dampers etc. I'm just about to replace the drc on mine with koni dampers so will do a review on my thoughts once fitted. From my understanding there are no coilovers kits that will maintain it at standard ride height....all will lower it to some degree ( correct me if I'm wrong). Also coilovers kits are generally stiffer (higher spring rates as well as the dampers ) and I didn't want to make it any stiffer.

bennn
1st Gear

Post by bennn » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:43 am

neil_f wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:39 pm
I was in the same predicament last week after a pipe burst on mine. Annoyingly when I bought my rs4 i thought the drc might last as it had a reciept for over 4l replacing all the dampers etc. I'm just about to replace the drc on mine with koni dampers so will do a review on my thoughts once fitted. From my understanding there are no coilovers kits that will maintain it at standard ride height....all will lower it to some degree ( correct me if I'm wrong). Also coilovers kits are generally stiffer (higher spring rates as well as the dampers ) and I didn't want to make it any stiffer.
Thanks Neil, I did see your post. Did you get your Koni's off the bloke selling them on eBay?

Pistolpete2543
3rd Gear

Post by Pistolpete2543 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:53 am

I believe you should also uprate the ARB’s to compensate for removing DRC. For the sake of £250, it might be worth a system recharge to see if you’re low on pressure. Mine is like a new car since replacing everything & having full system recharged with new hydraulic fluid. It really made a massive difference to the handling.

neil_f
2nd Gear

Post by neil_f » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:35 pm

bennn wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:43 am
neil_f wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:39 pm
Thanks Neil, I did see your post. Did you get your Koni's off the bloke selling them on eBay?
Yeah got them from Steve at crs performance. Really helpful guy. Think I got the last set he had in the uk but should have more again in 2-3 weeks from what he was saying. I've used koni sport in other cars over the years and found them to be a good road setup. I've been on holiday and back in the UK tomorrow hence why I've not had the time to fit them yet. Should be done on Wednesday providing the pinch bolts on the front struts aren't seized !
Last edited by neil_f on Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neil_f
2nd Gear

Post by neil_f » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:41 pm

Pistolpete2543 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:53 am
I believe you should also uprate the ARB’s to compensate for removing DRC. For the sake of £250, it might be worth a system recharge to see if you’re low on pressure. Mine is like a new car since replacing everything & having full system recharged with new hydraulic fluid. It really made a massive difference to the handling.
Thing is that's almost halfway towards the cost of the koni dampers and still doesn't guarantee a fix. I'm sure replacing everything the car feels amazing but at a huge cost. As already stated mine had over 4k spent on drc. Do you spend another couple grand replacing pipes and then potentially the same again in a couple years when the dampers need replaced again. As I stated in another post the biggest deciding factor for me was the fact it just went suddenly with no warning . No advisories on any mots for corroded pipes as well. Thankfully it wasn't the car I was taking on holiday or I could have been stranded abroad .

Fandango
Neutral

Post by Fandango » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:07 pm

Got some parts see Fandango and Alicz77 if you need any replacements on the DRC.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”