Clutch pedal, how should it feel?

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
James1984
3rd Gear

Clutch pedal, how should it feel?

Post by James1984 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:08 pm

The first third of my clutch pedal feels like it is just the clutch return spring and then it starts to operate the clutch, i am unsure is this is normal for this car or whether it needs bleeding, new return line or time to put some cash aside for a new clutch, I have never driven another so have nothing to compare it to, is this normal? Thanks
2007 B7 RS4 Saloon, Phantom Black, Forge Oil Cooler Kit, custom home made air feed, H&R Coilovers, H&R anti roll bars, 10mm H&R Spacers, Milltek decat downpipes, Milltek Non Res Valved Exhaust, Reyland Motorsports front & rear discs with Hel braided Hoses, full underbody overhauled inc powdercoated subframes and arms, 034 solid subframe bushes and every joint, arm or bush replaced.

12th
3rd Gear

Re: Clutch pedal, how should it feel?

Post by 12th » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:06 am

The clutch doesn't start to disengage with the first part of travel. When the clutch is wearing noticeably the bite point will get further towards the floor and it starts to feel a little 'gritty' for want of a better word, as well as requiring more force. If it feels otherwise smooth and the bite is roughly in the middle of the pedal's travel, I don't think I'd be worrying too much. I got the best part of 70k out of my first clutch, which was about 9 years worth of fairly enthusiastic driving.
Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Saloon with MRC tweakery.

James1984
3rd Gear

Post by James1984 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:32 pm

Mines on 74k on origional clutch, took the car out again last night and the clutch felt better. I am planning on hetting the can in the garage to freshen up a few bits so will add a clutch hose and rebleed on the list
2007 B7 RS4 Saloon, Phantom Black, Forge Oil Cooler Kit, custom home made air feed, H&R Coilovers, H&R anti roll bars, 10mm H&R Spacers, Milltek decat downpipes, Milltek Non Res Valved Exhaust, Reyland Motorsports front & rear discs with Hel braided Hoses, full underbody overhauled inc powdercoated subframes and arms, 034 solid subframe bushes and every joint, arm or bush replaced.

Pistolpete2543
3rd Gear

Post by Pistolpete2543 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:06 am

so will add a clutch hose and rebleed on the list
I wouldn't bother with this, if you're still on original clutch at 74k miles, I'd just start budgeting for a new clutch and flywheel in the near future. Mine got to 79k miles on original clutch, I replaced the whole lot and it has been a dream to use ever since.

12th
3rd Gear

Post by 12th » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:31 am

At 74k, starting to budget is probably wise, but it will depend upon how it's been used. The movement and stiffening up of clutch pedal/bite point happen gradually so will be noticeable.

As an aside, if the clutch pedal is ever slow or reluctant to return to fully up after enthusiastic use, try replacing the fluid with Dot 5.1 (this has a higher boiling point) before doing anything else more expensive. Voice of experience speaking, here...
Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Saloon with MRC tweakery.

James1984
3rd Gear

Post by James1984 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:32 pm

Thanks, i have a friend that has a ramp in his garage so when the time comes i’ll grab myself a clutch and go knocking, might chuck in a lighter flywheel too.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”