Fitting coil overs

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
AlexB7RS4
2nd Gear

Re: Fitting coil overs

Post by AlexB7RS4 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:19 am

KW V3s, H&R ARBs and 034 front adjustable UCAs went in today. I also raised the front a little - it was lower than the pic in the first post but was a PITA on any sort of oversized speed hump or gutter. Back to about the same height as the photo.

Only driven home so far on normal streets but have to say, the V3s feel fantastic. Much better than my DRC ever did in terms of comfort even before the knock - it is 10yr old DRC vs brand new coilovers so not an entirely fair fight. Not a soft feel, but solid with high quality damping. Front steering is a touch heavier with the updated front ARB but not a lot.

My day job for a few years was in automotive engineering and I’ve driven and owned plenty of worked cars. This is a high quality performance OEM feel - rare for aftermarket suspension. Very happy with them.

Tomorrow I’ve offered to take the wife to a winery for lunch. She doesn’t know that’s code for hills run. Will update with how it feels in the twisties. Looking forward to trying out that rear ARB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlexB7RS4
2nd Gear

Post by AlexB7RS4 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:51 am

Alright quick update after a month or so installed for those interested (now or down the track for future searchers).

Spirited driving - car feels amazing. Chalk and cheese between stock suspension. So much more agile and playful and feels almost perfectly balanced. As good as you’ll ever need for the street, and feels like it’d be great for track too.

Long trips/comfort - I’ve just finished driving over 3000km (1800 Miles) over the past 10 days. Combination of big freeways, back road highways, mountain roads, and city streets. Honestly the comfort is fine. Better than my DRC was (when worn) by miles. At least as good as I remember DRC being when DRC was still good.

Overall I can’t fault the KW V3 and H&R ARB combination (I’m running 19” Michelin PSS).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:27 pm

Glad to hear it's a success :thumbs:
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:57 pm

Did you set the rear ARB to the stiffest setting? KW, H&R and MPSS are a tried and tested winning combination.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:20 pm

arthur.d wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:13 am
its the toe that wears tyres-negative camber up to -3 deg or so wont cause excessive wear,dont think you would be anywhere near -3 deg camber on a lowered rs4,mine on b14[ableit set at at max permissable height] is about -1 deg appx,if your camber is uneven on front[ie excessive on one side] you need to move the subframe across a bit

nice looking rs4 in first pic too... :bowdown:
This is not true. I ran something like just over -2 degrees camber on the front with perfect toe and it wore the tyres out very quickly. If you are lowering it you will need adjustable arms or be prepared to replace front tyres more often than normally required. I imagine your coilovers on max height wasn't much lower than normal so your camber was OK, but any normally amount of lowering will required adjustable arms.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:23 pm

mikep99 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:02 am
If you're running that low, you'll need adjustable arms.
Is it 034 who do them?
I think Me Fish had them on his. ?!?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
marc1 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:08 pm
I’ve heard it’s better to go for Stern over 034.

Yes I had the 034 arms and recommend going for the Stern one instead. Whilst the 034 were great in that they gave me the adjustment I needed and the car drove great with them, they were not the easiest to adjust. You had to remove the arm at one end to make any adjustment then refit. The Stern one can be adjusted whilst in situ making it much easier to adjust.

rs user
4th Gear

Post by rs user » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:34 pm

This is not true. I ran something like just over -2 degrees camber on the front with perfect toe and it wore the tyres out very quickly. If you are lowering it you will need adjustable arms or be prepared to replace front tyres more often than normally required. I imagine your coilovers on max height wasn't much lower than normal so your camber was OK, but any normally amount of lowering will required adjustable arms.

mine was appx -1.4 deg
no wear issues as long as toe adjusted not to be toe out

i have used cars on the road with up to -3 deg on front and -1.5 at rear[not audi] with no wear issues as long as not running toe out-even or toe in very slightly

Fatneck73
4th Gear

Post by Fatneck73 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:02 am

I’m not up on coil overs but where do pss9’s (or have I got that wrong) fit into the above list? Cheaper / worse or better?????

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:23 am

They are great. Up there with KW V3’s.

Fatneck73
4th Gear

Post by Fatneck73 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:59 am

Jubly...ta

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”