Headlight fault codes

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Rw@@dy
4th Gear

Headlight fault codes

Post by Rw@@dy » Sat May 26, 2018 8:17 am

I’ve got the following codes showing on Vagcom and the flashing yellow turning indicator on the dash -

When it says left, is this as you stand facing the car (so drivers side) ?

I’ve got another ballast but want to be sure before I remove everything this is the right area to start.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rw@@dy
4th Gear

Re: Headlight fault codes

Post by Rw@@dy » Tue May 29, 2018 9:43 am

No ideas anyone??

mikep99
4th Gear

Post by mikep99 » Tue May 29, 2018 9:47 am

I would have thought left would be as you sit in the car ie. passenger side...
Hopefully someone else can confirm...

Trups
Trader (Expired)

Post by Trups » Tue May 29, 2018 12:01 pm

LEft headlight power output stage is the ballast, its the adaptive parts that's gone faulty. I have seen this and resolved on a few cars now that have come in.
Phantom Black C6 RS6 - ex Classba battleship
Mugello C6 RS6 5.0 TFSi AVANT - Gone.

If you have any quieries for interior or exterior LED's then get in touch.

Rw@@dy
4th Gear

Post by Rw@@dy » Tue May 29, 2018 12:06 pm

Trups wrote:LEft headlight power output stage is the ballast, its the adaptive parts that's gone faulty. I have seen this and resolved on a few cars now that have come in.
Thanks, I’ve replaced the left ballast with one from xenon Shop and still have these fault codes after clearing them. I’m assuming they don’t need any coding?

Kenny147
2nd Gear

Post by Kenny147 » Tue May 29, 2018 1:57 pm

You do need to code a new ballast. A new ballast should have been coded with a generic coding, so you’ll need to code it to an 8E. I’ve just had a rollercoaster ride with my ballasts and learnt far more about them, than I’ve ever wanted to.

The “defective” and “no signal” errors are due to an issue with the ballast. If you’ve changed it already, the replacement isn’t working. You can’t code and then adapt the ballast until the initial errors are fixed. “Defective” means the ballast is a goner. “No signal/communication” could mean either the ballast is knackered internally or you may have an issue with the wiring. The only way to know, is to swap the ballasts over and see if the No signal error follows the ballast. Given that you have the “Defective” error it’s unlikely to be the wiring. I had the “no signal/communication” error after swapping in a new ballast. My replacement wouldn’t communicate with the car, for whatever reason and I had to get a replacement for the replacement.

The other errors are due to the ballast not being coded or adapted. There’s a difference and you need to code the ballast first before you can adapt it. Check out the following DIY on Audizine and PM me if you have any questions.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthrea ... COM-Coding

Oh and the left and right is as it would be if you’re sitting in the car. So for a U.K. car, left is pax side, right is drivers side.

Rw@@dy
4th Gear

Post by Rw@@dy » Tue May 29, 2018 8:38 pm

Thanks for the link, I found that post earlier and followed the instructions, all clear no error codes!

MB2
Top Gear

Post by MB2 » Wed May 30, 2018 5:14 pm

That is an interesting post. I just swapped out both my bulbs and ballasts due to flickering on the passenger side and the odd error which it has cured. I was lucky as I did not have to code the ballasts but I will run a scan and check I think.

When I swapped the ballasts I realised the driver's side ballast was newer than the passenger side (revised PN) I had wondered if it would be as the whole headlight was replaced in 2015 by Audi so I expect it came with the headlight (although when I looked on the car both looked equally weathered when comparing the 2 ballasts you could see the age difference so I need only have bought one and because I was swapping them in a rush when the car was at the body-Shop didn't realise until I got home so can't even send the extra one back !

Still I have a spare at least if ever need it !

Kenny147
2nd Gear

Post by Kenny147 » Wed May 30, 2018 7:40 pm

The whole headlight error codes issue can be a bit of a minefield. I think now that these cars are getting on a bit and more likely to be owned by “enthusiasts”, most of us are inclined to try a bit of troubleshooting.

What I found from reading countless interweb threads, is that the first sign of trouble is generally a flickering bulb. Because nothing on these cars is exactly cheap and more so because we’re simply gluttons for punishment, we tend to remove the bumper and simply change out the main bulbs. Unfortunately new bulbs seem to place extra strain on already old ballasts and not long after you get the adaptive error. In my case it took 450 miles. So off comes the bumper and in goes a new ballast.

Looking back, I should have just bitten the bullet and bought new ballasts and main bulbs, had a beer or three and changed everything in one go. But then I’m a fully paid up member of the RS4 glutton for punishment society.

At least now I can remove the bumper, put it back on and align it perfectly, in about 20 mins.

MB2
Top Gear

Post by MB2 » Thu May 31, 2018 9:00 pm

My bumper was off courtesy of Audi hence the pre-emptive bulb & ballast change (I even changed the indicator bulbs with new heavy duty ones) so have yet to take the bumper off myself although looks fairly straightforward although really shouldn't have to for routine maintenance !

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”