Track day - prep

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
p18cdp
Neutral

Track day - prep

Post by p18cdp » Tue May 15, 2018 12:42 pm

Hi all,

First posting on here, hoping for some help please.

I've not long finally managed to get hold of my boyhood dream - an 07 Rs4 Avant! (After much debating with the wife and also agreeing to getting her a dog!).

Think I picked up a good one at pretty good money - full Audi history and it had a visit to MRC a couple of years ago for full carbon clean and stage 2 manifold/ gutted pre-cats etc, otherwise completely standard.

Its now due a service (on time - not miles!). I have a track day booked for next week at Thruxton and I wanted to get it together a bit to make the most of the day and get it home in one piece!

I am after some recomendations for what to do to get it at its best.

Its got a standard air filter in their so was just thinkinbg about swopping that straight out for a K&N panel filter.

Was thinking about getting some new spark plugs? Recommendations?

Also looking to get the oil changed - again anyone recomend any? Ive had a little look around and Millers seems to be popular?

Any other suggested maintenance that would be a fairly easy quick win?

Thankfully my brother owns his own garage so we'll be getting it on the ramp at the weekend to have a proper look.

The only problem that I have come across so far is the dreaded clutch pedal not always returning fully. It doesn't seem to get in the way of anything, and a quick 'foot hook' sorts it out for a bit!

Would be happy to listen to any advice/ recommendations?

Thanks all

FaisalJ
Cruising

Re: Track day - prep

Post by FaisalJ » Tue May 15, 2018 3:30 pm

Top of the list (in my opinion): decent brake fluid.

You stand a good chance of boiling OEM fluid on track.

What’s the state of pads, discs, tyres?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

Eddie555
Cruising

Post by Eddie555 » Tue May 15, 2018 4:22 pm

As Faisal has said. I’d stick Castrol SRF racing brake fluid in it, buy the best and you only need to do it once! Also have a full geometry done. It’s amazing how a fully setup geo will make the car handle so much better.
Current ride’s
Q7 Floret Silver Black Edition On 22’s (2018)
Renault Clio 172 Cup. (Babe the track pig)

Previous rides
SQ5 Glacier white( 2016 65reg)
RS6 avant C7 Daytona Grey 2015 facelift. The one I waved goodbye to!!
2013: Q7 3.0 tdi s/line plus ibis white (13reg)
2012: S5 cabriolet glacier white (62 reg)
2011: RS4 saloon B7. Avus (57 reg)

p18cdp
Neutral

Post by p18cdp » Tue May 15, 2018 4:48 pm

Thanks for the replies thus far!

I’ll get looking at the brake fluid tonight!

Front discs and pads look fairly new, rears a bit older. I think they should be fine but I’ll have a proper look at pad depth.

It’s got pilotsport 3’s in fairly good nick so I’ll leave them alone for now.

What’s the general concensous on the oil?

Thanks again for the replies, it’s been a while since I’ve had a car worth really looking after so you’ll have to excuse any silly questions!

mikep99
4th Gear

Post by mikep99 » Tue May 15, 2018 4:52 pm

I've just changed the oil, oil filter, air filter & pollen filter on mine.
Got it all from Opie - 10 litres of Castrol Edge 5w-30 & filters for a touch over £100 using the promotion they've got running.
I'd assume it'd been fine for a track day...

Mike

Eddie555
Cruising

Post by Eddie555 » Tue May 15, 2018 4:53 pm

Oil wise. Personally I only use Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge...... Amazon always have good deals on.
Current ride’s
Q7 Floret Silver Black Edition On 22’s (2018)
Renault Clio 172 Cup. (Babe the track pig)

Previous rides
SQ5 Glacier white( 2016 65reg)
RS6 avant C7 Daytona Grey 2015 facelift. The one I waved goodbye to!!
2013: Q7 3.0 tdi s/line plus ibis white (13reg)
2012: S5 cabriolet glacier white (62 reg)
2011: RS4 saloon B7. Avus (57 reg)

p18cdp
Neutral

Post by p18cdp » Tue May 15, 2018 7:26 pm

Nice one, thanks for that. It’s been a while since I’ve had a car worthy of being on a forum for- it nice to see the support on here!

If I was to get the spark plugs changed is it oem?

I’ve just checked the tyres and they might last the day- but not much after! Is there a general consensus on these as well?

A little of topic but I’d also be interested to know if anyone has an experience with a ‘action camera’, I’d love a GoPro but I’ve stretched myself getting the car already, especially as I only bought a new house back in December! Lol!

Thanks all

mister_g
1st Gear

Post by mister_g » Wed May 16, 2018 9:03 am

Tyre and brake wear are your main concerns. You might even consider getting some spare wheels/tyres just to use on track if you're gonna do it often.

Make sure fluids are topped up.

No need at all to change plugs.
With my black B7
I'm in B7th heaven
And with DRC
My ride is heavenly
:blackrs4:

jon_273
Neutral

Post by jon_273 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:45 pm

I switched to using Shell Helix Ultra Professional 0W-30. The base stock comes from NGL's so in theory when it burns it doesn't leave carbon deposits in the engine. Also I have hardly needed to top up unlike with the Castrol.

For brake fluid I used Ferodo racing 5.1 which is cheap and fine on the track http://www.ferodoracing.com/products/br ... s/dot-5-1/

If the spark plugs are due you want NGK PFR7W-T 6840 (same as OEM)

Bund
2nd Gear

Post by Bund » Thu May 17, 2018 6:26 pm

Torque wrench.
Merc 560 SEC
Merc E320 Sportline Cab
Toyota LJ70 LC

dougle_turbo
3rd Gear

Post by dougle_turbo » Thu May 17, 2018 7:32 pm

p18cdp wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:26 pm
Nice one, thanks for that. It’s been a while since I’ve had a car worthy of being on a forum for- it nice to see the support on here!

I’ve just checked the tyres and they might last the day- but not much after! Is there a general consensus on these as well?

A little of topic but I’d also be interested to know if anyone has an experience with a ‘action camera’, I’d love a GoPro but I’ve stretched myself getting the car already, especially as I only bought a new house back in December! Lol!

Thanks all
If you want to enjoy the track day and not be worried about bining the car you need two things: Total confidence in the brake pedal (which you will have with new fluid), and tyre grip. If I were you I'd get the tyres changed before you go on track, they are the only thing connecting the car to the road. Best case scenario you'll be frustrated with the grip, worse case scenario you'll run out off grip.

I would also insure the car on track for the day, I use Reiss motorsport. Very hepfull and good prices.

You don't want to be this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sOOfUx ... pp=desktop
Skip to 17mins 10 secs
2010 987 Cayman S.
Clio 172 Cup track car "Nicole" aka NV2 Sold
Clio 172 Cup track car "Nicole" aka NV1 - R.I.P
2007 Phantom black RS4 avant - with added ceramics. Sold
2006 Phantom black RS4 saloon. Sold
1990 Black Audi S2 (3B) - full engine rebuild. Sold
1981 Black Porsche 924 Turbo, rescued from under a tree and restored. Sold

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Thu May 17, 2018 8:03 pm

Don't use a K&N filter as the oil kills MAFs try a BMC instead.
Braided hoses, Dot 5.1 and drill your brake disc holes out.
And don't bother going if it's raining.
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

p18cdp
Neutral

Post by p18cdp » Thu May 17, 2018 9:27 pm

Covkiller wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 8:03 pm
Don't use a K&N filter as the oil kills MAFs try a BMC instead.
Braided hoses, Dot 5.1 and drill your brake disc holes out.
And don't bother going if it's raining.
Thanks for that, unfortunately I've already got the K&N in the boot ready to go in on sat - how quick can it damage the MAF?

I've got new brake fluid, spark plugs, fuel filter, 5W 30 Castrol Edge oil going in sat morning. Hopefully that should keep it going for the day!

p18cdp
Neutral

Post by p18cdp » Thu May 17, 2018 9:39 pm

dougle_turbo wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 7:32 pm
p18cdp wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:26 pm

Thanks all
If you want to enjoy the track day and not be worried about bining the car you need two things: Total confidence in the brake pedal (which you will have with new fluid), and tyre grip. If I were you I'd get the tyres changed before you go on track, they are the only thing connecting the car to the road. Best case scenario you'll be frustrated with the grip, worse case scenario you'll run out off grip.

I would also insure the car on track for the day, I use Reiss motorsport. Very hepfull and good prices.

You don't want to be this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sOOfUx ... pp=desktop
Skip to 17mins 10 secs
I've seen that crash from the Skoda view before - Ouch!!

Been looking at the insurance and Moris have been the best price so far - I'll speak to Reiss as well :thumbs:

I'll be taking it fairly easy, although I'm taking the wife along (mainly so she can drive the daily aka 'support vehicle') so wanted to give to beans on a few trips round, just to <beep> her up a bit! :lol:

pule333
5th Gear

Track day - prep

Post by pule333 » Thu May 17, 2018 11:52 pm

As others mentioned, brake fluid change is a must. RBF 600/660 is a good choice (that’s what I run)
Look in to better brake pads. There is a very good chance you have some eurocarparts finest. DS2500/3000 not a bad choice. (Currently use carbotec XP10 track only)
Oil is a difficult one. Most people would suggest to stick with what ever Audi recommends 5w30. (Millers is good, Mobil 1, Castrol, Futch Titan)
How ever if you want to track it, I would suggest 5w40 (slightly better protection at 120deg. And most likely it will go that high, I run Gulf Competition)
Tires, again very debatable. If you want 100% performance, need semislicks (I run NS2R for the track and find them extremely capable) otherwise go for what ever you can afford at a premium range. But most stick with Michelin’s PSS, PS4, cup2, etc.
Good idea to check all fluid levels, especially coolant. Check for coolant pipes as well. Any damaged/cracked pipe will most likely fail on the track, and quite dramatically.
Might be a good idea to change gear and diff oil if there is no recent record of it.
Most importantly! Have fun and stay safe!
They are fantastic machines on the track BUT, It’s a big but, very heavy! Expect to change pads every 3-4 track days, discs last 10-12 (I changed 5 sets of pads in 2 years and on 3 set of discs... you do the math. But most recently have dedicated track pads that I charge before and after track for generic brembos. Makes them last longer.

Please take this as advice from my own experience. Nothing more. Do your own research first.
Goodluck.

Almost forgot, K&N filter will be fine. As long as it’s dry to the touch it won’t kill your MAF.
I have gruppM with K&N cone filter. I clean it and re-oil every 6-8months. Just need to let it dry out in the sun for a few hours before fitting. And oil wise, less is more! But in all fairness OEM filter is adequate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ilya, photographer http://www.ikrylov.com

RS4 B7 aka Vinnie
AMD stage2|De-coked|GruppeM|CAF|Eibach arbs|BilsteinB14|Goodridge hoses|DS3000|phaeton brake ducts|Led tail lights|Trups DTRL|LED interior|JcWeldFab|034 motorsport endlinks, mounts and bushings|ECS Differential Mount|JHM short shift|JHM intake spacers|8/10mm H&R|R2D2 10" sub and AMP|Corbeau seats|4point harness

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”