Full respray

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
CallumB7
2nd Gear

Full respray

Post by CallumB7 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:46 pm

Hi all,

Long time lurker here. Decided to make my first post.

I currently have a silver B7 RS4, 66k miles on the clock and in good condition. However, I really dislike the colour, its so "meh". Consequently I am considering a complete colour change by means of a full respray. I have already had a quote from Steve Ullman in Harrogate for £3500, which seems about right, going to get some more quotes though. The colour I want is Papaya:

So my question is, what are the cons of having a respray done? I intend to keep the car for the foreseeable future, so the resale value isn't a huge concern right now, but is something I still want to consider. I have a lot more mods planned such as KW coilovers, JCWeldFab exhaust, and eventually a supercharger.

I think because I went to one body Shop and they basically turned me away and said I'd ruin the car, I'm now concerned I will do just that.

rs user
4th Gear

Re: Full respray

Post by rs user » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:06 pm

its your car-you do it whatever color you want
i"m an old fart an still think that color above looks good

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:58 pm

100% +1
I love the colour too and your intended mods, go for it and good luck. Hey just thought, what about a really good wrap. There is a thread on here somewhere were they took the doors off etc and it looked mint. :thumbs:
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:59 pm

Get it wrapped. A decent wrap will unlikely save you any money but completely reversible.
Have a look at paintkillers to see what can be achieved with decent wrappers.

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:44 pm

You can also get spray on wraps in a wide variety of colours, and even colour changing effects. @Technick has this on his widebody S4

I think it was these guys

http://www.dipitautocare.co.uk/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

CallumB7
2nd Gear

Post by CallumB7 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:54 pm

MikeFish wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:59 pm
Get it wrapped. A decent wrap will unlikely save you any money but completely reversible.
From what I've read the original paintwork almost always suffers little injuries during the application of the wrap (little nicks, scratches etc). Any truth to this?

I got another quote today for around £10k from Chris Gregory in Knaresborough, that's a lot more than I want to spend!

jonytek
5th Gear

Post by jonytek » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:22 pm

CalUmB7 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:54 pm
MikeFish wrote:
From what I've read the original paintwork almost always suffers little injuries during the application of the wrap (little nicks, scratches etc). Any truth to this?

I got another quote today for around £10k from Chris Gregory in Knaresborough, that's a lot more than I want to spend!
I would have thought you'd be up around 6-7k for a good respray. The only thing with a wrap is that you'll never get the gloss of a good paint job, event with a coat of clear it just never looks as good.
RS4 B7 - PLUSH BUILT | MRC WORKED
BUILD THREAD
IG: @bad_rs_4

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:48 pm

CalUmB7 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:54 pm
MikeFish wrote:

I think it depends on who does the wrap. Certainly some installers will leave 'injuries'.

If you are looking at £10k for a respray then you could be saving money with a wrap.

RS4LAD
3rd Gear

Post by RS4LAD » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:01 am

Speak to Greg Howell one of the best in the game

A20LEE
4th Gear

Post by A20LEE » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:30 am

ImageI payed £3.5k for a respray on a Corrado 14 years ago and my RS4 was £7.5k so your getting a cheap job so dont expect it to be mint. A good wrap looks like a sh*t respray so avoid flat gloss colours. My advice if £3.5k is your budget, keep your colour and get the sides and bonnet painted to a high standard. No one wants an RS4 with a bad paint job, make the current paint mint.
Last edited by A20LEE on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:45 am

Or there’s always the option to sell the car and buy in a colour you prefer! Might not cost you much - bit of hassle though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

CallumB7
2nd Gear

Post by CallumB7 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:36 am

@RS4LAD I read a few horror stories about Greg Howell on this site...

@A20LEE Where did you get the RS4 resprayed?

@FaisalJ That's an option yeah, as you say quite a faff though.

.. I'm really torn on this! I can't decide what to do at all. Personally I think a wrap is not for me, if it costs near the same price and looks "ok", that's a waste of money in my eyes.

A20LEE
4th Gear

Post by A20LEE » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:45 am

CalUmB7 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:36 am

.. I'm really torn on this! I can't decide what to do at all. Personally I think a wrap is not for me, if it costs near the same price and looks "ok", that's a waste of money in my eyes.
I had mine painted as Moto-craft in Pudsey Leeds. I’d also recommend Jason Buckley in Retford.

Greg Howell, seen good and bad from him but without knowing if it was a cheap or thorough job good it’s hard to comment on bodyshop work as your paying for time. More time the better the job

CallumB7
2nd Gear

Post by CallumB7 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:46 am

A20LEE wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:45 am
CalUmB7 wrote:

I had mine painted as Moto-craft in Pudsey Leeds. I’d also recommend Jason Buckley in Retford.

Greg Howell, seen good and bad from him but without knowing if it was a cheap or thorough job good it’s hard to comment on bodyshop work as your paying for time. More time the better the job
Funny you should say that. Moto-Craft is the first place I went and they didn't want to know about it & said I'd ruin it.

A20LEE
4th Gear

Post by A20LEE » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:09 pm

CalUmB7 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:46 am
A20LEE wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:45 am
CalUmB7 wrote:

Funny you should say that. Moto-Craft is the first place I went and they didn't want to know about it & said I'd ruin it.
Who did you speak to? John or Clive, I can go have a word with them as their my work neighbours

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”