Dragging clutch issue

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
lengster1
Cruising

Re: Dragging clutch issue

Post by lengster1 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:05 pm

The one in mine had done a few thousand miles, it was spotted on strip down by autotechnica, they photographed it, when the pressure plate was removed it all looked perfect, they re fitted it and all fingers sat at the same height, i yried having it covered under audi warranty as it was a genuine audi clutch id had put in it but they didnt want to know, the failure must be within the inner workings (out of sight) of the pressure plate.Autotechnica may still have the pics unfortunatly i dont its some years ago.

RS4JAY
1st Gear

Post by RS4JAY » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:09 pm

lengster1 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:05 pm
The one in mine had done a few thousand miles, it was spotted on strip down by autotechnica, they photographed it, when the pressure plate was removed it all looked perfect, they re fitted it and all fingers sat at the same height, i yried having it covered under audi warranty as it was a genuine audi clutch id had put in it but they didnt want to know, the failure must be within the inner workings (out of sight) of the pressure plate.Autotechnica may still have the pics unfortunatly i dont its some years ago.
Did you fit an uprated clutch? Afterwords?
Current Toys -

B7 Audi RS4 Avant - Phantom Black
E92 DCT M3 LE500 - Imola Red
Navara NP300 Tekna
E36 BMW M3 Evo track Car - Cosmos Black

Robnic
3rd Gear

Post by Robnic » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:27 pm

Hi Jay,

Not unless the clutch is faulty, they are same clutch as fitted in the 3.0TDi which produce more torque, a lot of people use them in TTS charged ones without too much bother if it's new.

Granted the plate is the same 240mm diameter as a 2.0TDi but with a different cover which will have less clamping load. Admittedly the clutches aren't great being of the self adjusting variety (SAC) but generally they get the cars out of the warranty period and out of Audi 's hair.

The fingers can fail as described if the clutch hasn't been compressed with the correct tool before fitting but as said previously they can be fitted without the tool and be fine providing they are pulled up gradually.
B7 RS4 MTM K540 Sprint loon, Lysholm/Opcon twin-screw supercharger, Ceramics, HEL Hoses, Loba SM Fly, Sachs performance clutch kit, MTM full stainless exhaust system with freeflow cats & quad valved tailpipes, Hotchkis ARB's, Bilstein B16 Coil Overs, LED Rear lights, Interior & LED 50W DRL's, Buckets in race cloth, Black optics, FBSW, Titanium pack, Solar Sunroof, Adaptive lights, MTM 10mm spacers Fr & Rr, 193 Nav unit, 2nd careful owner :-)

lengster1
Cruising

Post by lengster1 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:05 pm

No jay, i fitted an luk (oe) from eurocarparts. I paid top dollar for a genuine audi one after the first one failed, i thought it worth the extra for 2yrs warranty but they wriggled.

lengster1
Cruising

Post by lengster1 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:07 pm

Its my opinion that tbe self adjusting mechanism failed on several of the fingers but as the workings are hidden there was no hard evidence.

RS4JAY
1st Gear

Post by RS4JAY » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:58 am

Thanks guys. I'll get it booked in and checked out/fixed. Not amused, the thing just cost me £2k!!!
Current Toys -

B7 Audi RS4 Avant - Phantom Black
E92 DCT M3 LE500 - Imola Red
Navara NP300 Tekna
E36 BMW M3 Evo track Car - Cosmos Black

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”