Screwgate ...or how to hate Manifold flaps

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Burty
Neutral

Screwgate ...or how to hate Manifold flaps

Post by Burty » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:59 pm

So... those picking up on my brief post in the 'Little or No Use RS4' thread will know my red beast decided to suffer V8 indigestion.
The problem manifested itself pulling way from traffic lights - we were suddenly in a V7-engined motor !
Initially, the thought was that a coil-pack had packed up but sadly no - a sparkplug gap had closed and no prizes for guessing that something hard and metallic had decided to enter that cylinder and have a little baz around.
Sent the car to Unit20 and Martin has confirmed our worse fears - a manifold flap screw had made a bid for freedom and in doing so,has not just done for the piston and head but scored the bore lining and thus totalled the engine.
The hunt is now on for a good secondhand engine in order to resurrect it from the dead. Ebay will probably be our salvation but obviously if anyone out there get's to hear of a possible candidate there could well be a beer-voucher reward on offer.
This is not the first such calamity to hit the family's fleet - my son's Alfa Romeo GT experienced the same issue but in that case the engine could be rebuilt - sadly, a year or so later some idiot pulled out of a junction and T-boned it into oblivion.

Covkiller
Top Gear

Re: Screwgate ...or how to hate Manifold flaps

Post by Covkiller » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:39 pm

Yes saw your other thread. That really is bad news and I feel your pain.
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

Burty
Neutral

Post by Burty » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:06 pm

Woo Hoo ...Martin has scored again - he's secured one from a reliable source so hopefully not too long before I get the beast back home.

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:21 am

Ah great news and very well done :thumbs:
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

Burty
Neutral

Post by Burty » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:33 pm

Yipee... Martin has finished my major engine swap and I now have a lower-mileage engine, new clutch, new manifold, carbon clean, oil cooler and a few other important bits & pieces. Collecting the car from Unit20 on Tuesday 1st and can't wait to bring it back - it'll even make the M6/A14 bearable.
One or two medium distance trips coming up and then a major European road trip - I'm looking forward to how much more feisty it's going to feel after this rejuvenation.

Fatneck73
4th Gear

Post by Fatneck73 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:00 pm

Excellent news

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”