Shall I take my RS4 to the Alps

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:19 pm

Of course I fcuking will :rocker:
My RS4 flying blueberry's been resting in my mums garage for far too many months and needs a run. So it's booked into Listers Coventry for an interim service. Then I'm driving to La Rosiere skiing with my family. I'll try and get as many photos posted as possible tracking the journey. I can't wait for the tunnels to hear the Milltek scream. I'll stick to the speed limit this time as every single time I've driven in France I've been caught speeding bar once. Last time I got banned and Mrs Covkiller had to drive to Calais. French Police English driver haters.

History:
Home my favourite picture
MRC taking a Doug special remap
Berlin Hotel Crowne Plaza amongst the fatties
Ring with Big John worried
Almost maxed out just outside Berlin
Last edited by Covkiller on Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

The_Coat
4th Gear

Re: Shall I take my RS4 to the Alps

Post by The_Coat » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:26 pm

Have a great trip! Drive it like you stole it

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

RS4 Avant - Misano Red

jonytek
5th Gear

Post by jonytek » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:29 pm

Nice Cov, I had mine out there over Christmas and absolutely loved it.

Out of interest, I got flashed a couple of times while I was out there in France. How does it work with the points?
RS4 B7 - PLUSH BUILT | MRC WORKED
BUILD THREAD
IG: @bad_rs_4

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:55 pm

Just have your credit card ready when the notice drops through the letter box. No points.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

Chinny
2nd Gear

Post by Chinny » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:25 am

jonytek wrote:Nice Cov, I had mine out there over Christmas and absolutely loved it.

Out of interest, I got flashed a couple of times while I was out there in France. How does it work with the points?

You won't get points if you got uk license. The police over there have to physically stop you to fine you. Been on many bike trips and luckily for me ,thou we have been stoped I've got away with it. The others I was with weren't so lucky

Enjoy the trip. The cars gonna sound awesome in them tunnels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:21 am

2017 was the 1st year that the reciprocal agreement came in for speed camera fines. ie European countries can fine UK drivers but not the other way round, ha some agreement. Once Brexit is in this will stop :assflash:

If you haven't received a notice by now, you may be lucky, but as Surrey Sam & Chinny say, if you get a notice it will only be a fine. Oh and any letters come in French.
I got one confirming my ban :ban: a few months ago and had to get a French mate and his dad to translate it as it was in French law speak :biggrin2: Bliddy Frenchies spoil all the fun.

My mate Brice explained that they 100% target English drivers on the big toll roads as there's no escape. The French plod normally drive crap like Peugeot 309's that you would easily outrun but all they do is radio ahead. I've even thought about taking some bolt cutters so I can escape through a service road, but Mrs Covkiller would go bonkers at me. :bash:
Last edited by Covkiller on Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

pete62
4th Gear

Post by pete62 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:38 am

Covkiller wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:21 am
2017 was the 1st year that the reciprocal agreement came in for speed camera fines. ie European countries can fine UK drivers but not the other way round, ha some agreement. Once Brexit is in this will stop :assflash:

If you haven't received a notice by now, you may be lucky, but as Chinny says, if you get a notice it will only be a fine. Oh and any letters come in French.
I got one confirming my ban :ban: a few months ago and had to get a French mate and his dad to translate it as it was in French law speak :biggrin2: Bliddy Frenchies spoil all the fun.

My mate Brice explained that they 100% target English drivers on the big toll roads as there's no escape. The French plod normally drive crap like Peugeot 309's that you would easily outrun but all they do is radio ahead. I've even thought about taking some bolt cutters so I can escape through a service road, but Mrs Covkiller would go bonkers at me. :bash:
How much over the limit were you doing in order to get a ban and how long was the ban?
Did they fine you and ban at the road side or was there a trip to ‘the station’ involved.
Had to laugh about the bolt croppers briefly had exactly the same thought - you would also need a padlock as well so your not followed.
Only joking ,bit too outlaw for me!

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:22 am

184 kph (114mph) in a 130 kph (80 mph) with €135 instance fine, I alway carry a roll of big note €euros just in case, they hate it when you're wedged up English & in a flash motor. They took my license off me and explained that I was banned for 3 weeks. They told me Madame must drive, but Mrs Covkiller didn't have her license on her, good job they didn't ask to see it.

I really did not give a sh1t as I was on my way home, I jumped in the drivers seat once we were past uk passport control at Calais. I got my license back in the post some time later.
Brice pissed himself laughing when he saw the speed and told me I was very lucky they didn't crush my car :bash:, I said no and he said he wasn't joking :thumbsdown:

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:59 am

The car was made for road trips like this.

KWheeler
1st Gear

Post by KWheeler » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:46 pm

Very, very jealous! I'm off to la Plagne in March for a week but sadly not driving. Had I not booked the trip months ago I would take the rs4 for sure!
2010 RS6 Plus saloon number 433 in Mugello blue Stage 1 APR map and filter, Milltek Non Resonated, RR 655PS/949NM
Interior Audi exclusive leather package 2 in valcona, climate comfort seats, electric steering column, adaptive cruise, parking system advanced, garage door opener, UV glass.

Current:
10 RS6 Plus Stage 1
15 Golf R stage 1

Previous:
07 RS4 saloon Mugello blue
07 MKV R32
03 Impreza STI
99 RX7 Type R
01 TT 225Q
97 A4 2.8Q

pete62
4th Gear

Post by pete62 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:33 pm

Covkiller wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:22 am
184 kph (114mph) in a 130 kph (80 mph) with €135 instance fine, I alway carry a roll of big note €euros just in case, they hate it when you're wedged up English & in a flash motor. They took my license off me and explained that I was banned for 3 weeks. They told me Madame must drive, but Mrs Covkiller didn't have her license on her, good job they didn't ask to see it.

I really did not give a sh1t as I was on my way home, I jumped in the drivers seat once we were past uk passport control at Calais. I got my license back in the post some time later.
Brice pissed himself laughing when he saw the speed and told me I was very lucky they didn't crush my car :bash:, I said no and he said he wasn't joking :thumbsdown:
Cautionary tale don’t really want a crushed car!

Dolphie
1st Gear

Post by Dolphie » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:03 pm

I've had my B7 for nearly 5 years now and have taken it to the Alps from Scotland 2-3 times a year both winter and summer. It always draws some attention, comments, camera phones from Frenchies. They seem to recognise the car more so than UK drivers. I even had one guy run across a car park to take a photo as I passed by.

Winter tyres and quattro seem to cope with everything. You just need to take it a little easy in March when it warms up. I drive up the hill every day but it can get a little entertaining on the descent when it gets above 10 degrees.

To be fair bucket seats and a V8 are overkill for the Autoroute, but it's worth it at the far end. Oh and the roof box slows me down enough to avoid Cov's issue.

Kenny147
2nd Gear

Post by Kenny147 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:18 pm

Covkiller wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:19 pm

Home my favourite picture
I always forget how f*cking great Mugello is until I see it in a pic. Fantastic :notworthy:

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:51 pm

Cheers Kenny much appreciated :thumbs:

Meanwhile there's a ghost in the house:

MB2
Top Gear

Post by MB2 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:46 pm

Covkiller wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:21 am
It because in the UK, liability lies with the individual driver, not the registered keeper. Therefore the Department for Transport CHOSE not to use the directive to fine drivers from the EU...so I wouldn't be surprised if we continue to supply the information post Brexit.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”