antiroll bai, just rears or both ?

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
dogtanion
Neutral

antiroll bai, just rears or both ?

Post by dogtanion » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:39 am

Hi

Bought a second hand h and r rear off ebay and am debating whether to just fit that to reduce the understeer or whether to go with uprated front as well.

Also wondered if stock bushes will work or if anyone knows where to get the right ones.

Thanks

rs user
4th Gear

Re: antiroll bai, just rears or both ?

Post by rs user » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:12 pm

everybody i have spoken to with them say the pair of uprrated arbs make the car skip over rough surfaces when cornering hard on the power-trade off being a firmer,but slightly harsher feel
i also wonder if just the rear would be a good idea
i live in scotland where the roads have a pretty poor surface mostly,and the car on b14 alone handles fine for the road -although i would like a little more rear end bias for the occasional time i corner quickly with it-for 8 months of the year it seems to be wet and slippery lol

mistercvee
Neutral

Post by mistercvee » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:25 pm

Hello
just going through similar wondering/thinking. 034Motorsport appear to do only a rear uprated ARB as they consider that to be sufficient in combination with the standard front ARB. Seems to me that for normal road use, uprating both front and rear is too stiff, but i guess a lot of this is subjective anyway.

Good to hear that B14s are good, arthur.d, that's my current plan...

Cheers!
2006 B7 RS4 Sprint Blue Saloon

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:39 pm

I’d do both, but there are always people in both camps. Cars handles great with both done an both set at the firmest setting. I’m on KW’s Corner balanced and full geo, etc.

You could add the SS+ OEM rear bar from Audi for about £100 it’s 2mm thicker than the non SS+ bar. I can’t remember the exact mm to % stiffness conversion, but it’s something like 40%. Give it a go. Could add polybushes too instead of the OEM bushes and go from there. Cheap enough to not matter if you weren’t wowed by it and could always sell on, etc.

The aftermarket rears are fine too, but I’ve prefered both and have done this to most of the Audi’s I’ve owned.

Worth mentioning that you can get the car to oversteer with both bars, so if you are adding a similarly stiff rear only, it’s likely to be able to oversteer even easier. So depends what you want out of your quattro.

dogtanion
Neutral

Post by dogtanion » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:47 pm

The bars arrived and the front is VERY heavy being solid, would be better hollow. Cant imagine the front needs it and wonder whether other connected components will break. When I've done this with other cars have also uprated end links and additional bracket for support of bar.

I still have stock DRC suspension.

Think I'll try rear first and see if that balances the understeer or just makes the car unstable, before trying front

RS4LAD
3rd Gear

Post by RS4LAD » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:54 pm

I have just had the h&r arbs installed on stock drc, in all honesty I can’t feel a huge difference yet as I haven’t been able to give it a proper run due to crap weather. But it is a lot firmer and sticks down more on the corners.

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:50 pm

dogtanion wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:47 pm
The bars arrived and the front is VERY heavy being solid, would be better hollow. Cant imagine the front needs it and wonder whether other connected components will break. When I've done this with other cars have also uprated end links and additional bracket for support of bar.

I still have stock DRC suspension.

Think I'll try rear first and see if that balances the understeer or just makes the car unstable, before trying front
What did you go with?

Hotchkis rear bars had a habit of snapping end links. No reports on the fronts.

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:51 pm

RS4LAD wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:54 pm
I have just had the h&r arbs installed on stock drc, in all honesty I can’t feel a huge difference yet as I haven’t been able to give it a proper run due to crap weather. But it is a lot firmer and sticks down more on the corners.
Which did you go for? There are two sizes available (2mm between them both). Have you set them to soft or full hard? Would recommend just going straight to full hard, front and rear.

RS4LAD
3rd Gear

Post by RS4LAD » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:11 pm

marc1 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:51 pm
RS4LAD wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:54 pm
Which did you go for? There are two sizes available (2mm between them both). Have you set them to soft or full hard? Would recommend just going straight to full hard, front and rear.
FR:32, RE:24mm
To be completely honest I have no idea what MRC have set them to. I don’t think it’s full hard as there isn’t a huge noticeable difference yet. I wanted to put on kw v3’s and scrap the drc completely but Doug managed to persuade me not to. He said it’s a much better ride with drc.

Il ask him to check the stiffness when I go back in soon. I’m just waiting for the weather to get better to give it an absolute thrashing to really put it to the test round them corners and roundabouts. I was considering lowering it slightly too with some SS+ springs. And that'd be it for me until I decide to charge it.

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:24 pm

They are the thicker ones.

I put SS+ springs and rear ARB on my last Avant. It was great. You could just get the adjustable KW springs, which will no doubt be a little stiffer and allow you to drop it where you want it to be.

Re stiffness, just have a look under the car. Outter holes means softer.

KW’s are great, but then so is DRC.
Attachments
2DE440BE-3EC9-4A1A-8079-FC6EA093D16A.png
DB23AB39-771E-4D75-8A78-49A5C42311E9.png

RS4LAD
3rd Gear

Post by RS4LAD » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:18 am

marc1 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:24 pm
They are the thicker ones.

I put SS+ springs and rear ARB on my last Avant. It was great. You could just get the adjustable KW springs, which will no doubt be a little stiffer and allow you to drop it where you want it to be.

Re stiffness, just have a look under the car. Outter holes means softer.

KW’s are great, but then so is DRC.
Is that a good thing being the thicker ones?

I’m not really a fan of adjustable springs and coilovers I just want to stick them on and forget about them! Iv read the ss+ springs do make a difference to ride quality and they do sit lower slightly?

Since buying this car it’s just been eating away at me and the final step is charging it Iv been so close even though it’s dead money but it’s jut something that has to be done I think.

Thanks for the diagram mate I will try and get under and have a look in the next few days.

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:03 am

Yes charge it! :twisted:

RS4LAD
3rd Gear

Post by RS4LAD » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:10 am

marc1 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:03 am
Yes charge it! :twisted:
The cars already cost me 35k mate in under a year! I really can’t justify another 15k charging it. I seriously want to, it’s just something that has to be done I think but the amount of money Iv put into it already is stupid. I think it is the best it can be right now and I just need to enjoy it properly this summer and then move on to a c7 or a manual r8 v8/v10.

It’s an absolute pleasure to drive each and every time mate, I have been through a lot of cars and I don’t think it can ever be replaced. There’s certainly nothing that handles like it today! May be a big regret selling or moving on but the extra power is needed! :mrgreen:

Brooner
Cruising

Post by Brooner » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:06 am

i Had H&R's with the original mark 3 DRC set up on my B7 Avant on the medium setting the car felt a lot flatter in the corners but not to the point of sliding
2018 B9 RS4 Navarra Blue
2013 B8 RS4 Sepang Blue
2007 B7 RS4 Avant Sprint Blue
2001 B5 RS4 Nogaro Blue
1998 B5 S4 Avant Kingfisher Blue
1993 B4 S2 Avant laser Red

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”