RS4 EPS Light on / Intake manifold flap

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
blitz
Neutral

Post by blitz » Wed May 17, 2017 6:15 pm

So...I went to collect my RS4 today as it was having coilovers installed. On the way back no longer than 5 minutes into the journey the EPS light comes and will not go off so I headed back to the garage and they plugged it in - the fault which came up was: Intake manifold flap position sensor (bank 1): implausible signal - intermittent, fault priority: 0, fault frequency: 5

I do not remember any of the other numbers or the fault code that it had.

What does this mean? as the garage said it could possibly be the sensor but they do not think it is the sensor and it could possibly be a flap that has broken?

If it is what they mentioned its quite expensive to repair and the best option would be to go to MRC who do a delete on the intake manifold or something or the other I couldnt remember what they said exactly but it included a remap.

How expensive is it to repair the flap and how much is it to have this done by MRC i.e. doing the delete and remap?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

jonytek
5th Gear

Re: RS4 EPS Light on / Intake manifold flap

Post by jonytek » Wed May 17, 2017 6:33 pm

Take a look on their site, it's all there. Stage 2 manifold is £560ish, map is £650 and if you wanted to do a carbon clean at the same time it's around another £850.

They will do a health check to diagnose the issue for £150 which might be worth looking into before committing to expensive work. Give them a call and have a chat.

Could be carbon build up ehich just s clean would sort.
RS4 B7 - PLUSH BUILT | MRC WORKED
BUILD THREAD
IG: @bad_rs_4

blitz
Neutral

Post by blitz » Wed May 17, 2017 6:38 pm

Thanks for the advice I did have a look at there site but I dont really know what was required and what would be needed to be done. So worst case I could probably be looking at around £2000.... :L

blitz
Neutral

Post by blitz » Wed May 17, 2017 7:52 pm

Has anybody else encountered this problem or have an idea what it could possibly be/how much it could cost to rectify?

JCviggen
5th Gear

Post by JCviggen » Wed May 17, 2017 7:58 pm

I had the same error. Seemed to be happening much more often when cold and wet out. Turning the car off and on, and then exceeding 4000/5000RPM would get the light to turn off. Suspecting the sensor personally, it's just a potentiometer and they can wear out.

I flashed the ECU to a flap delete map from JHM and that took care of it. If I used the car every day I'd probably be in more of a hurry to get the actual flaps removed, now it seems like no biggie, the car is performing well so they are clearly open when they need to.
B7 RS4 saloon Misano red, comfy seats, JHM tune & JHM full exhaust with cats and resonators - gone.
C5 RS6 Avant Daytona/Cognac - gone.
981 Cayman GTS Gray/Orange.
My youtube

blitz
Neutral

Post by blitz » Wed May 17, 2017 8:29 pm

My car has a milltek resonated valved exhaust, downpipe and cats. Not sure if it has ever had the flaps removed - even with the light on I can say it performs the same as before I havent noticed any power loss low or high rpm.

JCviggen
5th Gear

Post by JCviggen » Wed May 17, 2017 9:33 pm

When the light went on mine did seem to stop the flaps from opening - felt fine at low revs but weak at high RPM. "reboot" would sort it. Now it's fine all the time with a software change.
B7 RS4 saloon Misano red, comfy seats, JHM tune & JHM full exhaust with cats and resonators - gone.
C5 RS6 Avant Daytona/Cognac - gone.
981 Cayman GTS Gray/Orange.
My youtube

blitz
Neutral

Post by blitz » Wed May 17, 2017 11:04 pm

I cant be the only one who has experienced this? Im abit confiused as to wether it will be a carbon clean or a sensor I am aware if they need a carbon clean you can tell in performance but there is non and ive driven a freshly carbon cleaned RS4 before which is leading me to believe its a sensor issue but I dont want to get my hopes up and then face a large bill...

BenHol
2nd Gear

Post by BenHol » Wed May 17, 2017 11:37 pm

blitz wrote:I cant be the only one who has experienced this? Im abit confiused as to wether it will be a carbon clean or a sensor I am aware if they need a carbon clean you can tell in performance but there is non and ive driven a freshly carbon cleaned RS4 before which is leading me to believe its a sensor issue but I dont want to get my hopes up and then face a large bill...
I had exactly the same fault code last week. It seemed intermittent at first then constant. Anyway. Unit 20 sorted mine out it was just a split vacuum pipe. But he did a faulty potentiometer would show the and fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RS4 B7 - Phantom Black, 20in RS6 C7 alloys, Joey mod, detango, led drl, black optics, Bilstein b16, Michelin ps4s, centre res delete, black tips, 8mm spacers, vx lenses, RS embossed xenon, Carbon splitter, 034 ARB.

Rw@@dy
4th Gear

Post by Rw@@dy » Thu May 18, 2017 6:33 am

I've had this to, split vacuum pipe and broken runners on the manifold flaps

blitz
Neutral

Post by blitz » Thu May 18, 2017 12:50 pm

If you dont mind me asking, how much did this cost you to have done?

Rw@@dy
4th Gear

Post by Rw@@dy » Thu May 18, 2017 2:57 pm

I had a carbon clean, manifold rebuild and a pipe replaced was about £1200. I really should have left the manifold stripped out

blitz
Neutral

Post by blitz » Sat May 20, 2017 7:51 pm

It is confirmed the flap is broken.....MRC said £1700 to have the issue fixed does this sound right as from £1200 to £1700 its a big jump.

Dantheman84
1st Gear

Post by Dantheman84 » Sat May 20, 2017 8:32 pm

blitz wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 7:51 pm
It is confirmed the flap is broken.....MRC said £1700 to have the issue fixed does this sound right as from £1200 to £1700 its a big jump.
Wow that's expensive.
Just have it removed Leave sensor in place easy fix
RS4 kw v3 full miltek no cats :nogarors4:
Intake spacer deflap stage 2 flat shift launch
Kawasaki ZX10R 197bhp :audibash:

blitz
Neutral

Post by blitz » Sat May 20, 2017 8:44 pm

So just remove the flap? Is there no remapping involved? and if I just do this will the EPC light stay on?

OEM intake manifold is £2200 so the MRC route is cheaper which includes carbon clean, remap and im not sure what the other thing was maybe a manifold?

Ideally id like to save as much as I can, but dont want to cut corners to cause future problems.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”