HELP NEEDED - Clutch & flywheel replacement options

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
markshepps
1st Gear

Re: HELP NEEDED - Clutch & flywheel replacement options

Post by markshepps » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:10 am

Getting my Clutch / DMF & Hydraulics all done soon too.
Getting Flywheel from Rock Auto & the USP Slave cylinder & Pipe, but wanted to highlight the below deal from Euro Car parts! Clutch kit £150.00! Voucher code "Vcloud852" 30% off.

Was quoted over £2k (inc. VAT) for parts and labour at my local indie (labour was quoted at £495).
- Clutch & Hydraulic components £500 + vat
- DMF £842 + vat

Thanks to this forum & shopping around, I should bring this in at around £1,300!! Which includes an uprated clutch pipe & slave cylinder.. More than happy with that! :thumb:

Merry Crimbo! :beerchug:

Daytona
3rd Gear

Post by Daytona » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:04 pm

Get it from here and save yourself even more

markshepps
1st Gear

Post by markshepps » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:37 am

Daytona wrote:Image

Get it from here and save yourself even more
Doh! Too late, Euro Car Parts delivered this morning.

MrHilario
5th Gear

Post by MrHilario » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:11 am

Finally! Got my car back on Friday, need to bed the new clutch in for a bit, but feels so much better. The mechanic said I had squeezed every last mile out of the old clutch, haha.

Now comes the boring part of bedding the clutch in, so I'm taking it easy at the moment. The guy reckoned I should go easy for the next 500 miles, is that about right?

1.4 Fiesta (Silver)
2.8 VW Bora V6 4motion (Blue)
4.2 Audi RS4 B7 Avant (Black)

DavidRS4
4th Gear

Post by DavidRS4 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:10 pm

I would say yes as my JH Mitorsports stage 3R clutch kit and lightweight flywheel says 500 miles of round town steady driving.
B7 RS4 Saloon, Phantom Black, Forge Oil Cooler Kit, 20 x 10.5j Vossens, Carbon Front Splitter, KW V3 Coilovers, Adjustable Front Arms, 20mm Spacers, Revolution Carbon Air Box, Rear 4 Pot Porsche Brake Conversion, Stud & Nut Kit, Milltek Non Res Non Valved Exhaust, RS6 Gloss Black Grill, Slightly Tinted Windows, JH Motorsports Stage 3R Clutch & Lightweight Flywheel, Robnic Braided Clutch Line. JH Motorsports Lightweight Grooved F & R Rotors with Braided Hoses and Hawk Pads

jonytek
5th Gear

Post by jonytek » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:20 am

500 miles.. That'd be 3 months of driving for me atm. Sound like a good excuse for a road trip then.
RS4 B7 - PLUSH BUILT | MRC WORKED
BUILD THREAD
IG: @bad_rs_4

MrHilario
5th Gear

Post by MrHilario » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:59 am

jonytek wrote:500 miles.. That'd be 3 months of driving for me atm. Sound like a good excuse for a road trip then.
I know, it says city driving as well, so not fun! Oh well, while the weathers bad I suppose it's a good time to break it in. :audibash:

1.4 Fiesta (Silver)
2.8 VW Bora V6 4motion (Blue)
4.2 Audi RS4 B7 Avant (Black)

eliano
2nd Gear

Post by eliano » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:05 pm

Which clutch do most people use ? I want a standard clutch but is the LUK eurocarparts one the same as what audi would use ? Dont want to skrimp but at the same time i dont want a race clutch, i want oem
RS4 B7 Saloon, Phantom Black , Billy B14 and ss+ arbs, LED's all inside & out with Dectane LED tailights. deflap, MRC Stage 2, Carbon Clean, no pre-cats, Custom Blueflame non res cat back exhaust, AP Racing Discs, alcantara wheel, gaiter and handbrake retrim, R8 gearknob, red belts (anyone want to swap belts for black ;-/ ) 438PS

Pistolpete2543
3rd Gear

Post by Pistolpete2543 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:47 pm

I fitted the ECP Luk kit to mine, and it is spot on so far. Haven't done too many miles on it since fitting though, so cannot say how long it will last but feels good.

Mr Footlong
Cruising

Post by Mr Footlong » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:39 am

Hi guys

I am contemplating having the gearbox taken apart on my 4 at the same time as having the clutch done asap (it is still fine but very little left, 90k miles....), as she has never been butter-smooth on faster shifting/shifting in general, with some of the selectors feeling notchy (nor grinding gears, purely the feel of the shifts through the stick if you follow).

I was due to be dropping her off at SJB tomorrow when I pick the 6 up, but am having second thoughts now.

Would the LUK clutch/flywheel combo feel/perform exactly or "near as damnit" identically to the OE clutch/flywheel? I have had more than enough horrors over the years with performance clutches/lightened flywheels (never, ever again for any lightened flywheels, just not worth it....) in cars to be really hesitant about non-OE drivetrain bits. However, I am being raped on the house currently so if I can safely save a few quid without risking anything or reduce the quality/feel of the car then I am open to considering it.

While I am waffling, regarding the gear selecting feel, I have seen mention of things like uprated return feed pipe etc, but haven't seen anything in detail about that.

The other half is telling me that she doesn't want me to sell either of the cars as she loved the old girls too, but is also scared that I will dump her like I did the last time I felt forced to sell a car. Sold that car in 2008 to help her out financially, hated myself, then broke off the engagement and moved the previous model out a month later :rocker: . The upshot of this is that I may well get to keep both and to hell with being sensible.

Cheers,

Nick :).
Current:

"Brutus"- C5 RS6 Avant - MRC stage 2 - Milltek non-res + 100 cell cats - Wagner ICs - PSS9 - H&R ARBs - OZ Superturismo LM - C6 Custom brakes - HD RNS-E - Various other bits - 555PS/832Nm

Gone:
"Taz"- C7 RS6 - MRC stage 2 - Milltek non-res + 100 cell cats, uprated fuel pumps, race plugs, 745PS/1095Nm
12' Cayenne Turbo, B7 RS4, S3, Cupra R, XJR, EVO VII, STI8,5,2&WRX, 106 GTI&XSI, other crap.

ixi_ixi
1st Gear

Post by ixi_ixi » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:08 am

That is something I would like to find out too.

I read some posts on other forums (can't remember if that is for B7 RS4 or B5 RS4) saying that Audi pressure plate has higher clamping force than OEM replacement LUK pressure plate available aftermarket. Although LUK is the OE manufacturer of the clutch for Audi, people claim that Audi test the pressure plate to meet the higher clamping force requirements.

However, I have yet seen any proves or actual test to support the above statement. So, might just take this as a grain of salt.

And it seems that people using the OEM replacement LUK clutch kit on our car have not complain about them.

Appreciate if someone here can share their real world experiences with the LUK kit.
B7 RS4 Cabriolet
Ported and deflap manifold, carbon fibre intake, piggies, MRC remap and heaps of preventive maintenance works lol

Mr Footlong
Cruising

Post by Mr Footlong » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:54 am

Cheeky bump, the 4 is at the garage now and I have told them to hold fire on any clutch/flywheel/gearbox work until they hear from me. I have done what research I can with the time I have had spare but nothing beats knowledgeable input on here from people that have run both the OE setup and the LUK uk clutch/Rock Auto LUK flywheel etc, thanks.
Current:

"Brutus"- C5 RS6 Avant - MRC stage 2 - Milltek non-res + 100 cell cats - Wagner ICs - PSS9 - H&R ARBs - OZ Superturismo LM - C6 Custom brakes - HD RNS-E - Various other bits - 555PS/832Nm

Gone:
"Taz"- C7 RS6 - MRC stage 2 - Milltek non-res + 100 cell cats, uprated fuel pumps, race plugs, 745PS/1095Nm
12' Cayenne Turbo, B7 RS4, S3, Cupra R, XJR, EVO VII, STI8,5,2&WRX, 106 GTI&XSI, other crap.

mongo
2nd Gear

Post by mongo » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:41 pm

Mr Footlong wrote:Cheeky bump, the 4 is at the garage now and I have told them to hold fire on any clutch/flywheel/gearbox work until they hear from me. I have done what research I can with the time I have had spare but nothing beats knowledgeable input on here from people that have run both the OE setup and the LUK uk clutch/Rock Auto LUK flywheel etc, thanks.
I have the Rock Auto (LuK) Flywheel - which will be identical to the Audi part(as there is a lock down on where it can be distributed from) - the LuK clutch kit from ECP was also fitted, along with robnics braided stainless steel uprated return hose. Numerous other new bolts/guide sleeves , salve cylinder etc were fitted. I can't comment on your gearbox - but would imagine if the clutch is outwith tolerances it will feel notchy changing gear as its not fully disengaged. I am 1000 miles in now since the change, and from go the clutch has been bliss.

eliano
2nd Gear

Post by eliano » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:44 pm

Im in the process of rounding up the bits myself, luk clutch and sachs slave already bought at euros (£180), am in touch with @robnic regarding the return pipe and other few bits which we will sort next week, i will order the rock FW very soon, so the same setup as you are considering
Mr Footlong wrote:Cheeky bump, the 4 is at the garage now and I have told them to hold fire on any clutch/flywheel/gearbox work until they hear from me. I have done what research I can with the time I have had spare but nothing beats knowledgeable input on here from people that have run both the OE setup and the LUK uk clutch/Rock Auto LUK flywheel etc, thanks.
RS4 B7 Saloon, Phantom Black , Billy B14 and ss+ arbs, LED's all inside & out with Dectane LED tailights. deflap, MRC Stage 2, Carbon Clean, no pre-cats, Custom Blueflame non res cat back exhaust, AP Racing Discs, alcantara wheel, gaiter and handbrake retrim, R8 gearknob, red belts (anyone want to swap belts for black ;-/ ) 438PS

Pistolpete2543
3rd Gear

Post by Pistolpete2543 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:17 pm

I have had the LUK DMF from Rockauto along with LUK clutch kit from ECP. I also changed all ancillary bits with genuine Audi parts from TPS (flywheel bolts, clutch lever and sleeve, replacement hydraulic hoses for slave cylinder etc etc). I also got replacement Sachs slave and master cylinders from ECP.

Have to say the new set-up is silky smooth and I have no issues with how it performs. The original clutch lasted almost 80k miles so only time will tell how long this one lasts, but from an OE feel I don't think there is any difference

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”