HELP NEEDED - Clutch & flywheel replacement options

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
markshepps
1st Gear

Re: HELP NEEDED - Clutch & flywheel replacement options

Post by markshepps » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:52 pm

markshepps wrote:Getting my Clutch / DMF & Hydraulics all done soon too.
Getting Flywheel from Rock Auto & the USP Slave cylinder & Pipe, but wanted to highlight the below deal from Euro Car parts! Clutch kit £150.00! Voucher code "Vcloud852" 30% off.

Was quoted over £2k (inc. VAT) for parts and labour at my local indie (labour was quoted at £495).
- Clutch & Hydraulic components £500 + vat
- DMF £842 + vat

Thanks to this forum & shopping around, I should bring this in at around £1,300!! Which includes an uprated clutch pipe & slave cylinder.. More than happy with that! :thumb:

Merry Crimbo! :beerchug:
Just had the call that my clutch & flywheel is all done.
Me: "How did you get on with the replacement braided hose?" (Robnic's pipe)
Garage: "We had to order and install a replacement standard pipe as we couldn't make those 2 pipes work"

I ordered Robnic's braided pipe after I realized that the USP pipe I ordered was only compatible for a LHD model, however I left it in the box of parts that I supplied :knob: ... This seemed to have caused confusion. Despite my explicit instructions to replace the rubber section of the standard hose (even if they needed to order a new clutch line to replace the metal sections) with the braided hose, the tech concluded that I'd asked them to put the two pipes together (robnic's & USP) to extend the USP pipe, which of course wasn't possible. Sigh.
They've said that the new standard pipe was upgraded and doesn't fail like the old one, and assured me that they've never had one back in after replacing old for new (they do a lot of performance Audi's - R8's, 4's, 6's etc. So I do trust that they know the score).
I'm going to be paranoid... I never launched it on my old clutch after I did it once and the pedal stuck. Has anyone just gone bog standard lately and had sticky clutch pedal issues afterwards? Maybe I don't want to know, and I'll find out soon enough. I don't intend to launch it, but would be nice to know I could if I had to and not worry about the damn clutch pedal sticking.

Also to add a bit of salt, the flywheel had plenty of life left (replaced it anyway). :drink:

Won't be picking car up until the weekend, but I'm hoping after all this cost that I will notice a tangible difference.

Anyway, looks like I have a braided hose going as I ain't paying again to get it done. Cost me £65 delivered which is no real loss, and might just keep it kicking around just in case I change my mind down the road, but would ship it out for a flat £50 (PM me if interested).

eliano
2nd Gear

Post by eliano » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:27 pm

Just took delivery myself of the full kit of parts from @robnic, great service..... sure someone will snap it up, just about to order the rock FW, how much duty did you pay on yours as my mechanic is worried i will pay a massive ammount, others have said around £70 which is fine by me
RS4 B7 Saloon, Phantom Black , Billy B14 and ss+ arbs, LED's all inside & out with Dectane LED tailights. deflap, MRC Stage 2, Carbon Clean, no pre-cats, Custom Blueflame non res cat back exhaust, AP Racing Discs, alcantara wheel, gaiter and handbrake retrim, R8 gearknob, red belts (anyone want to swap belts for black ;-/ ) 438PS

markshepps
1st Gear

Post by markshepps » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:57 pm

Duty on the DMF was £103.00 in the end... I was expecting around the £70 mark, so was a bit more than expected.

eliano
2nd Gear

Post by eliano » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:34 pm

More than others have said but £500 all in is still better than £800 plus in uk i suppose
markshepps wrote:Duty on the DMF was £103.00 in the end... I was expecting around the £70 mark, so was a bit more than expected.
RS4 B7 Saloon, Phantom Black , Billy B14 and ss+ arbs, LED's all inside & out with Dectane LED tailights. deflap, MRC Stage 2, Carbon Clean, no pre-cats, Custom Blueflame non res cat back exhaust, AP Racing Discs, alcantara wheel, gaiter and handbrake retrim, R8 gearknob, red belts (anyone want to swap belts for black ;-/ ) 438PS

iconic78
3rd Gear

Post by iconic78 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:50 pm

I'd be interested in the Robnic pipe if your willing to send it to Dubai

markshepps
1st Gear

Post by markshepps » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:47 am

iconic78 wrote:I'd be interested in the Robnic pipe if your willing to send it to Dubai
I've already had a PM from an interested party, but if that falls through I'll give you next refusal.

iconic78
3rd Gear

Post by iconic78 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:29 am

Ok thanks. I'm also looking at the USP kit, has anyone fitted it and is there much of a difference or should just stick to OEM and a braided hose?

markshepps
1st Gear

Post by markshepps » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:28 pm

iconic78 wrote:Ok thanks. I'm also looking at the USP kit, has anyone fitted it and is there much of a difference or should just stick to OEM and a braided hose?
The USP pipe is too short for RHD cars, so stick with stock plus braided hose to replace the rubber section (assuming you have a RHD).
I did use the metal slave cylinder from USP, but was only motivated to buy that when I thought the pipe would be generic... wouldn't have bothered on its own.

eliano
2nd Gear

Post by eliano » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:35 pm

As marksheps said, he learnt the hard way, just get a sachs or equiv slave and the braided hose from robnic
iconic78 wrote:Ok thanks. I'm also looking at the USP kit, has anyone fitted it and is there much of a difference or should just stick to OEM and a braided hose?

Mr Footlong
Cruising

Post by Mr Footlong » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:32 pm

Thanks guys, I finally got around to ordering the clutch via ECP with their 30% off code today, as well as the flywheel from RockAuto. When I have the spare readies I will get a pipe off Robnic, then off to MRC to fit the lot, replace the master/slave cylinders for the hell of it, whatever other bits need doing while out and am going to get the gearbox rebuilt too since she is at 90k.

Cheers,

Nick.
Current:

"Brutus"- C5 RS6 Avant - MRC stage 2 - Milltek non-res + 100 cell cats - Wagner ICs - PSS9 - H&R ARBs - OZ Superturismo LM - C6 Custom brakes - HD RNS-E - Various other bits - 555PS/832Nm

Gone:
"Taz"- C7 RS6 - MRC stage 2 - Milltek non-res + 100 cell cats, uprated fuel pumps, race plugs, 745PS/1095Nm
12' Cayenne Turbo, B7 RS4, S3, Cupra R, XJR, EVO VII, STI8,5,2&WRX, 106 GTI&XSI, other crap.

iconic78
3rd Gear

Post by iconic78 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:25 pm

Mine a LHD but I'll take on Board what your saying. Already speaking to Robnic.
Just hoping that changing the master, slave and hose fixes my problem.

iconic78
3rd Gear

Post by iconic78 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:25 pm

Never thought I would have so many issues from upgrading

eliano
2nd Gear

Post by eliano » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:08 pm

From what im lead to believe changing the slave, return pipe and all the other little bits and bobs (springs, levers, guide tubes) will eliminate the sticking clutch ? Not sure if the master is needed for change tbh

Mr Footlong
Cruising

Post by Mr Footlong » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:46 am

Pistolpete2543 wrote:I also changed all ancillary bits with genuine Audi parts from TPS (flywheel bolts, clutch lever and sleeve, replacement hydraulic hoses for slave cylinder etc etc). I also got replacement Sachs slave and master cylinders from ECP.
I haven't got around to ordering the master & slave cylinders, but was going to go OE on these. However, there are various non-OE manufacturers doing them too and a number of them are cast iron housings instead of the plastic ones, for example - http://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/oenumbe ... 1257q.html

Realistically, is there a benefit to the cast iron slave cylinders? Other than pressure resistance, any other obvious difference/improvement? With there being so many plastic ones including the OE, I have to think that the OE one is the best/perfectly good design.
Current:

"Brutus"- C5 RS6 Avant - MRC stage 2 - Milltek non-res + 100 cell cats - Wagner ICs - PSS9 - H&R ARBs - OZ Superturismo LM - C6 Custom brakes - HD RNS-E - Various other bits - 555PS/832Nm

Gone:
"Taz"- C7 RS6 - MRC stage 2 - Milltek non-res + 100 cell cats, uprated fuel pumps, race plugs, 745PS/1095Nm
12' Cayenne Turbo, B7 RS4, S3, Cupra R, XJR, EVO VII, STI8,5,2&WRX, 106 GTI&XSI, other crap.

eliano
2nd Gear

Post by eliano » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:04 pm

Took delivery of the rockauto flywheel today, i was led to believe it came with the bolts but mine didnt, anyone elses ??

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”