Head light flicker

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Harris.
4th Gear

Head light flicker

Post by Harris. » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:31 pm

Hi can anyone help with this , I took the car out tonight to do a few fun miles (chemist for the Gf as she's 5 months gone ) and when giving it all the car had a headlight warning came up on the Dash to advise a bulb had gone , so at the traffic lights turned them off and back on and all was fine until I gave her a clear out again . done the last few miles taking it steady and they were fine and as normal .

Is there a faulty sensor or are my Bulbs on their way out ?

m3vhf
Neutral

Re: Head light flicker

Post by m3vhf » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:04 pm

Identical to what happened in mine, I swapped the bulbs out and resolved the flicker and intermittent dash light.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:05 pm

Sounds more like a faulty control unit.

Harris.
4th Gear

Post by Harris. » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:12 pm

Just been on Google and many people have said the same , my passenger headlight where it meets the wing feels lose and is slightly sticking out front the wing not sitting flush and when you tap it its wobbling about ?? is there a clip behind it to hold it in place ?

Sorry I've never removed these headlights before , there is no marks on the paint to suggest someone has hit it either which is odd !!

m3vhf
Neutral

Post by m3vhf » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:14 pm

I was initially advised that my ballast was on the way out, so whilst I was looking for a replacement (not cheap) I had already ordered a new set of 6k bulbs. I fitted them, and all my issues went, saved me getting a new ballast.

audi_do_dat_den
3rd Gear

Post by audi_do_dat_den » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:41 pm

Precisely the same as i had when i first owned the car.
Changed the HID tubes and all was cured.
I was told it was definitely a ballast unit..... which would be the thick end of 400 quid....

2yrs on and still working fine!
Change yer bulbs mate :-)

Eddie555
Cruising

Post by Eddie555 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:42 pm

There's a screw that holds the headlight down this hole. Try see if it's loose.
Attachments
image.png
Current ride’s
Q7 Floret Silver Black Edition On 22’s (2018)
Renault Clio 172 Cup. (Babe the track pig)

Previous rides
SQ5 Glacier white( 2016 65reg)
RS6 avant C7 Daytona Grey 2015 facelift. The one I waved goodbye to!!
2013: Q7 3.0 tdi s/line plus ibis white (13reg)
2012: S5 cabriolet glacier white (62 reg)
2011: RS4 saloon B7. Avus (57 reg)

RichieRS
4th Gear

Post by RichieRS » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:30 am

Had the same. Changed the bulbs and all was fine

rs user
4th Gear

Post by rs user » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:54 am

i had the same on a range rover-it only happened once...i had it 6 months after that and it never gave any issues
with mine the light did go right out,switched off,back on and was fine...the pita about the rs4 is that its bumper off to swap parts from side to side for elimination...a royal pain :bash:

Dan-RS4
Neutral

Post by Dan-RS4 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:43 pm

As many people have said before, I had the same issue. Replaced both bulbs and one went a few months later, replaced them both again and then started getting the exact same issue you're having. I took the suspect bulb out and compared it to the working one I had taken out and noticed the thickness of the contact pins on the bulbs was a lot thinner on the newer suspect bulb. Replaced it and haven't had a problem since.

It might be worth noting for anyone else looking to buy replacements bulbs, that as with anything on the RS 4, if you buy cheap, you buy twice! I replaced the standard Phillips bulbs with osram xenarc ones off ebay. Phillips bulbs are circa £150 each whereas the osram's were about £70 for the pair and seemed better on paper stat-wise (more lumens etc..). I'm not sure if the osram's were genuine or eBay knock-off's but I don't think they are as good as the Phillips ones. They give a nice blue tinge to the headlights but don't seem to improve visibility that much

MB2
Top Gear

Post by MB2 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:52 pm

I too suspect is your bulbs as mine used to flicker and since the bulbs were replaced has behaved perfectly (almost a year now). I can't say for certain as one of my headlights was replaced at the same time as the bulbs were swapped as the solenoid for high beam had failed but I expect was the bulbs causing the on /off flickering.

I bought these bulbs which many on here (including Trups the lighting expert) said were the best upgrade bulbs without taking the headlights apart (projector lens upgrade) http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/D1S-OS ... -Bulb.html

Harris.
4th Gear

Post by Harris. » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:30 pm

Thanks everyone for your reply's , much appreciated .

I will change the bulbs and hope it cures the problem . Time to remove the dreaded front bumper then , why its off I can clean everything behind it I guess . I just worry about getting all the gaps correct again as its a pain in the a@@@ , the rubber mounts for the bumper , are they worth changing why its off ? I cant find the link but someone put it up that they were $24.99

I may also take off the headlight len's to give them a good clean as one is slightly marked inside if this is possible and paint the cooler behind the grill as there is a few stone chips on it , keeps me busy in the garage !!

I think mine has the Philips D1S's in now , but if your saying the Osram ones are good ill get them ones in the link above £99 for 2

Harris.
4th Gear

Post by Harris. » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:52 pm

MB2 wrote:I too suspect is your bulbs as mine used to flicker and since the bulbs were replaced has behaved perfectly (almost a year now). I can't say for certain as one of my headlights was replaced at the same time as the bulbs were swapped as the solenoid for high beam had failed but I expect was the bulbs causing the on /off flickering.

I bought these bulbs which many on here (including Trups the lighting expert) said were the best upgrade bulbs without taking the headlights apart (projector lens upgrade) http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/D1S-OS ... -Bulb.html
Thanks for the link , I ordered a pair last night and today I've taken the bumper and lights off to give it all a clean while I'm waiting for the new ones :beerchug:

MB2
Top Gear

Post by MB2 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:46 am

No problem - I have been very pleased with mine for the past year. If you are going to split the headlights it might be worth getting in touch with Trups as you can put some optically clear lenses into the projectors while they are apart which would give you an added upgrade for little cost as the bother is splitting them.

I didn't do this to mine, but if I had them apart I would.

Harris.
4th Gear

Post by Harris. » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:32 pm

I've not split them yet but if I do what do you use to seal them again ? I've been trying to find the thread where some one painted the inside black and thought that looked really good . what paint is needed for this ?

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”