Engine bay clean up

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
jonytek
5th Gear

Engine bay clean up

Post by jonytek » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:31 am

Hey guys, I originally posted in the cleaning section but didn't get any information. I have a couple of cleaning questions, I want to clean up my engine bay. I have purchased a few small brass brushes to clean up the aluminium bits but I want to get in with some degreaser to clean up the 10 years of dirt. I'd also like to remove the yellowing on the carbon sections. Has anyone done this work successfully? Just looking for some direction before jumping in.
RS4 B7 - PLUSH BUILT | MRC WORKED
BUILD THREAD
IG: @bad_rs_4

Holtyrs4
Neutral

Re: Engine bay clean up

Post by Holtyrs4 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:50 am

jonytek wrote:Hey guys, I originally posted in the cleaning section but didn't get any information. I have a couple of cleaning questions, I want to clean up my engine bay. I have purchased a few small brass brushes to clean up the aluminium bits but I want to get in with some degreaser to clean up the 10 years of dirt. I'd also like to remove the yellowing on the carbon sections. Has anyone done this work successfully? Just looking for some direction before jumping in.

Hi mate :) I only got mine 2 months ago & my engine bay looked like it had never been cleaned neither. I have just persevered with engine degreaser and its come up a treat. Try just using microfibres on the carbon with a little degreaser it's done the trick for me. Hope this helps and happy cleaning

jonytek
5th Gear

Post by jonytek » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:29 pm

And did you just rinse the engine bay once you were done? I'm a bit a cautious getting the hose in there.
RS4 B7 - PLUSH BUILT | MRC WORKED
BUILD THREAD
IG: @bad_rs_4

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:46 pm

I have a feeling I responded about the carbon already? It needs rubbing down and a new top coat to get rid of the yellow. Or buy some new ones (not cheap).

Holtyrs4
Neutral

Post by Holtyrs4 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:14 pm

jonytek wrote:And did you just rinse the engine bay once you were done? I'm a bit a cautious getting the hose in there.

I wouldn't rinse of with a hose just use a cloth to wipe off any dirt left over and keep repeating until you get it perfect :biggrin3:

DavidRS4
4th Gear

Post by DavidRS4 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:04 pm

I got a Karcher steamer to do the job. Worked a treat. Do little sections at a time and blast it clean with some steam. Then just wipe dry with a cloth.
B7 RS4 Saloon, Phantom Black, Forge Oil Cooler Kit, 20 x 10.5j Vossens, Carbon Front Splitter, KW V3 Coilovers, Adjustable Front Arms, 20mm Spacers, Revolution Carbon Air Box, Rear 4 Pot Porsche Brake Conversion, Stud & Nut Kit, Milltek Non Res Non Valved Exhaust, RS6 Gloss Black Grill, Slightly Tinted Windows, JH Motorsports Stage 3R Clutch & Lightweight Flywheel, Robnic Braided Clutch Line. JH Motorsports Lightweight Grooved F & R Rotors with Braided Hoses and Hawk Pads

ArthurPE
Cruising

Post by ArthurPE » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:25 pm

My method
Bucket of water with car soap and wash mitt
Garden hose on low pressure spray
Rinse lightly (avoiding electrics as much as possible but most are water tight, rain does get into the engine compartment lol)
Wash with mitt
Rinse
Drive until hot, preferably on highway to blow water out
Park with hood open to let dry/evaporate

I avoid detailing products, they just seem to attract dust and/or look oily
Last edited by ArthurPE on Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe...Albert Einstein

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:25 pm

A good APC like Bilt Hamber Surfex HD, some brushes and a good few hours had mine coming up really good for a photoshoot.

I might have dressed the plastics with CarPro PERL at 1:3 ratio but can't remember - I'm not really a dressing/tyre shine type of person.

Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

ArthurPE
Cruising

Post by ArthurPE » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:30 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:A good APC like Bilt Hamber Surfex HD, some brushes and a good few hours had mine coming up really good for a photoshoot.

I might have dressed the plastics with CarPro PERL at 1:3 ratio but can't remember - I'm not really a dressing/tyre shine type of person.

Looks perfect
Nice work

Had my car done with proquartz
He also used the perl undiluted on the tires
I don't like dressing but this stuff looked great, matte, no shine
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe...Albert Einstein

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:09 am

ArthurPE wrote: Looks perfect
Nice work

Cheers Arthur.

I've also tried the Ceramic coatings and they did well, I'm just trying the good old wax look now, so that I can compare long-term usage.

CarPro Perl works well on the tyres, it just didn't last so long in the UK's wet winter climate unfortunately. I still love the way it looks though, matte and no shine is a winner for me.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

ArthurPE
Cruising

Post by ArthurPE » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:08 am

Surrey Sam wrote:
ArthurPE wrote: Looks perfect
Nice work

Cheers Arthur.

I've also tried the Ceramic coatings and they did well, I'm just trying the good old wax look now, so that I can compare long-term usage.

CarPro Perl works well on the tyres, it just didn't last so long in the UK's wet winter climate unfortunately. I still love the way it looks though, matte and no shine is a winner for me.
This is my first experience with a coating
The dealer hazed it up first time
Had a pro redo it, perfect now
So far so good

I was always a wax guy
Klasse then switched to insulator wax
Collinite 476 http://www.collinite.com/automotive-wax ... paste-wax/
Nice look and EXTREMELY durable

I may buy some perl
As you said it is water based and is not durable but since my car sees limited use (I have a company car) it should do ok

JRG1210
Neutral

Post by JRG1210 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:45 pm

Hi all,

does anyone know where I can pickup the RS and ring badges that sit on the covers in the engine bay? Time for replacements I think.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”