Audi RS4 B7 wing mirrors removal DIY In 5min

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
pule333
5th Gear

Audi RS4 B7 wing mirrors removal DIY In 5min

Post by pule333 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:40 pm

Hi guys.
Realised there are no good quick DIYs for this job on the interwebs. All I can find suggest it's a pita and a difficult job requiring full door trim disassembly. That is not the case. Here is my 5 min DIY per side!
1) remover cover from inside the door. It just pops out. Image
2) remove the mirror. Be careful not to damage it
3) remove connectors. I marked the inside one with red tape incase there is a difference how the attach. Assume not but like to be precise. They are corroded usually so use needle nose pliers.
4)
Remove motor mounts. 3 small screws.
5) unplug by spreading apart two tabs and piling away gently Image
6) unscrew the main bolt that holds the housing. And pull it away half way
7) unscrew 2 screws that hold the small bracket inside the housing. Image
8) if only removing the outer casing, attach the housing back to its original position.
Make sure rubber seal sits properly.
9) use a screwdriver and push on the inner bracket pushing it away from the mounting holes. It will move about 1-2cm.
10) unscrew 4 crews from inner housing.
11) now gently but firmly pull the hole assembly towards the rear of the car.. It sits pretty tight but will come off fairly easy! Apply firm but gently pressure, don't yank it.
12) pull the wires through the housings both inner and outer.
13)
And here you have it. 2 housings removed in around 10min. Ready for what ever you have planed:) or simply to replace..

Please move to sticky section if it useful to anyone.
ilya, photographer http://www.ikrylov.com

RS4 B7 aka Vinnie
AMD stage2|De-coked|GruppeM|CAF|Eibach arbs|BilsteinB14|Goodridge hoses|DS3000|phaeton brake ducts|Led tail lights|Trups DTRL|LED interior|JcWeldFab|034 motorsport endlinks, mounts and bushings|ECS Differential Mount|JHM short shift|JHM intake spacers|8/10mm H&R|R2D2 10" sub and AMP|Corbeau seats|4point harness

Lukes3
4th Gear

Re: Audi RS4 B7 wing mirrors removal DIY In 5min

Post by Lukes3 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:27 pm

Nice one mate, i am just about to start this job good timing lol
Current-saloon rs4,Full decat Xpipe miltek,cold air feed,BMC air filter, TTS supercharged, MRC stage 3 L/C F/S,hell s+s brake lines,AP racing rotors + vagbremtechnic bells, kw v3s clifford 650mk2

Gone-audi s3 8p stage2+ with loba lo400 turbo.

pule333
5th Gear

Post by pule333 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:28 pm

Lukes3 wrote:Nice one mate, i am just about to start this job good timing lol
:)

RS4 B7 aka Vinnie
AMD stage2|De-coked|GruppeM|CAF|Eibach arbs|BilsteinB14|Goodridge hoses|DS3000|phaeton brake ducts|Led tail lights|Trups DTRL|LED interior|JcWeldFab|034 motorsport endlinks, mounts and bushings|ECS Differential Mount|JHM short shift|JHM intake spacers|8/10mm H&R|R2D2 10" sub and AMP|Corbeau seats|4point harness

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:09 pm

Have you managed to put it all back together though? Wasn't that he difficult bit which is why they normally take the door apart and remove the wiring from the other side.
Ive never tried it, but I recall there were issies with doing it this way.

skywriter
2nd Gear

Post by skywriter » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:17 pm

brilliant mike did you remove the black triangle i need to to get it painted

pule333
5th Gear

Post by pule333 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:19 pm

MikeFish wrote:Have you managed to put it all back together though? Wasn't that he difficult bit which is why they normally take the door apart and remove the wiring from the other side.
No I haven't. Not yet :) but see no issue here what so ever. It should be reversal order for assembly.
Don't really understand why you would need to remove the wiring from the inside

RS4 B7 aka Vinnie

pule333
5th Gear

Post by pule333 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:22 pm

skywriter wrote:brilliant mike did you remove the black triangle i need to to get it painted
Yeah I see the issue here. To remove black triangle completely you might need to remove door card and unplug from inside. Unless you are happy to cut the wires on the main plug and solder them back on after. Or make the hole a bit bigger for the plug to go through.. Might be problematic. I would cut the wires and resolder

RS4 B7 aka Vinnie

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:42 pm

Ahh, yes I think the issue was with the triangle bit.

Either way, good work Ilya, its good to see more good guides.

MB2
Top Gear

Post by MB2 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:46 pm

Someone has removed the retaining strap from them which makes the task much easier but means if the mirror gets struck it will bash your car as only the wires are holding it on. You don't need to remove the screws to get the door mirror off, it just knocks off. The screws are for the triangle (Big Torx) and the missing retaining strap (little rusty screws).

The metal triangle is a right PITA to get back in place, but it you are removing them I would suggest you order the straps from Audi and reinstate them, personally if I wasn't touching the triangles I would leave it without them such was my fight with the triangle when I replaced due to corrosion.

It isn't worth painting them IMO, as the part is cheap enough from Audi - de-pin the plug is much simpler than disconnecting it door side.
Last edited by MB2 on Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MB2
Top Gear

Post by MB2 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:49 pm

MikeFish wrote:Have you managed to put it all back together though? Wasn't that he difficult bit which is why they normally take the door apart and remove the wiring from the other side.
The difficult bit is getting the triangle back on ! For the wires simply de-pin the plug (a paperclip works although I have a tool that does it) and re-clip the pins in afterwards - much easier than door card or cutting / jointing the wires.

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:41 pm

Nice write up Ilya - but someone beat you to it!

viewtopic.php?t=105561
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

pule333
5th Gear

Post by pule333 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:48 pm

FaisalJ wrote:Nice write up Ilya - but someone beat you to it!

viewtopic.php?t=105561
How did I miss that DIY?? Oh well just trying to be helpful.

RS4 B7 aka Vinnie

pule333
5th Gear

Post by pule333 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:07 pm

MB2 wrote:Someone has removed the retaining strap from them which makes the task much easier but means if the mirror gets struck it will bash your car as only the wires are holding it on. You don't need to remove the screws to get the door mirror off, it just knocks off. The screws are for the triangle (Big Torx) and the missing retaining strap (little rusty screws).

The metal triangle is a right PITA to get back in place, but it you are removing them I would suggest you order the straps from Audi and reinstate them, personally if I wasn't touching the triangles I would leave it without them such was my fight with the triangle when I replaced due to corrosion.

It isn't worth painting them IMO, as the part is cheap enough from Audi - de-pin the plug is much simpler than disconnecting it door side.
Is this the strap you talking about?

RS4 B7 aka Vinnie

Briggy
2nd Gear

Post by Briggy » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:42 pm

Pic 13 shows the 4 posts that the mechanism screws onto. I can't stress enough how gentle you have to be with those. My problem was that the screws had rusted, so expanding the thread on the post, causing them to split. There was no way in hell they were ever going back on without the mechanism being tight against them, ideally screwed on, so I had to bite the bullet and buy a new pair. Cheap? Were they hell!

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:46 pm

Pule333 wrote:
FaisalJ wrote:Nice write up Ilya - but someone beat you to it!

viewtopic.php?t=105561
How did I miss that DIY?? Oh well just trying to be helpful.
Great effort and quality pictures on the write up :thumbs: Always worth checking the FAQ sticky at the top of the page to see if the DIY project has been covered before. If not, get it done and then PhilT can be add it to the FAQ post.
Pule333 wrote: Is this the strap you talking about?
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016081 ... 68c0ff.jpg
Yes, that's the mirror retention strap that was being referred to.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”