Inlet Manifold Flaps

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
kevconn
2nd Gear

Inlet Manifold Flaps

Post by kevconn » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:36 pm

Hi all,
Had the RS4 for about 6 weeks now and took if for a service today and was advised that when they checked on the Vagcom it indicated that one of my manifold flaps was stuck open?
With knowing nothing at all about this subject I asked what it meant. I was told that if all the valves are open I wouldn't be able to accelerate but this made no sense to me.
Can somebody please advise what thus means, what causes it, how can it be rectified and costs involved?
Sprint Blue B7 RS4, Milltek, Resonator Delete, Bilstein Suspension, ITG Panel Filter, Forge Oil Cooler,BBS Alloys, Black Optics, Rear Tints, TRW Track Control Arms, Carbon Clean.

Seattle-squash
2nd Gear

Inlet Manifold Flaps

Post by Seattle-squash » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:48 pm

They have a tendency to get stuck, especially with lots of carbon around and or a shaft bushing or flap positioning sensor being off (you have 2). What I did - carbon cleaned, and coded out the flap error message and good to go. If you have issues mechanically the the either new manifold or pull them and get covered by the re-coding. So if I pull mine in the future I should still have no dash/code issue. I think they are supposed to increase torque with added turbulence but what the heck do I know! :) I hear that people pull them often with little to no feeling of lost torque. Have your car been carbon cleaned? If not, I would look into that. Good luck.

TAB1S
3rd Gear

Re: Inlet Manifold Flaps

Post by TAB1S » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:51 pm

Hi mate it's not an uncommon problem, I've just sorted mine out.
Unfortunately it's not an quick fix, they stick open or closed due to carbon build up on the inlet manifold so you are in need of a carbon clean (decoke) research it buddy there's lots of threads on how to etc etc or go to MRC but it will cost you, quite a few people do it them selfs if you are half about with tools & have a fair bit of time on your hands.
You can either keep the flaps or remove them as i have to hopefully help prevent build up so fast & again hoping for performance gains :bigblink: but will then required a remap to delete the flap sensors.
You will also be down on power as it will put your car in a mild limp mode ie you wont have full rev range!
Good luck hope this helps, good luck.
RS4 B7
MRC stage2 436ps-487nm
Revolution intake, custom CAF, carbon clean, deflaped manifold, JHM manifold spacers, Forge oil cooler, Forge spacers, full de-cat, Scorpion cat back, Trup's LED's, 20' S5 wheels, KW V3's.
Launch control & flat shift :mrgreen:

Seattle-squash
2nd Gear

Inlet Manifold Flaps

Post by Seattle-squash » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:53 pm

TAB1S wrote:Hi mate it's not an uncommon problem, I've just sorted mine out.
Unfortunately it's not an quick fix, they stick open or closed due to carbon build up on the inlet manifold so you are in need of a carbon clean (decoke) research it buddy there's lots of threads on how to etc etc or go to MRC but it will cost you, quite a few people do it them selfs if you are half about with tools & have a fair bit of time on your hands.
You can either keep the flaps or remove them as i have to hopefully help prevent build up so fast & again hoping for performance gains :bigblink: but will then required a remap to delete the flap sensors.
You will also be down on power as it will put your car in a mild limp mode ie you wont have full rev range!
Good luck hope this helps, good luck.
It must be a common problem - with both of us stating the same thing! :)

kevconn
2nd Gear

Post by kevconn » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:34 pm

Thanks for the info, I'm in Lancashire so is there anybody localish that could do the clean, how much would it be and how long of a job is it?
Thanks
Sprint Blue B7 RS4, Milltek, Resonator Delete, Bilstein Suspension, ITG Panel Filter, Forge Oil Cooler,BBS Alloys, Black Optics, Rear Tints, TRW Track Control Arms, Carbon Clean.

TAB1S
3rd Gear

Post by TAB1S » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:41 pm

kevconn wrote:Thanks for the info, I'm in Lancashire so is there anybody localish that could do the clean, how much would it be and how long of a job is it?
Thanks
Yes mate unit20 are close to you, mrc are about£600 for a basic clean going up to £1100 for a deflap etc look on there web sites mate.
RS4 B7
MRC stage2 436ps-487nm
Revolution intake, custom CAF, carbon clean, deflaped manifold, JHM manifold spacers, Forge oil cooler, Forge spacers, full de-cat, Scorpion cat back, Trup's LED's, 20' S5 wheels, KW V3's.
Launch control & flat shift :mrgreen:

mustdash
3rd Gear

Post by mustdash » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:35 pm

Mine was throwing up an engine management light - Vagcom showed a manifold flap issue. I took it to MRC for a decoke and to have the flap removed then a map to map out the sensor. THe fault didn't cause any noticeable issues with the car, other than a permanetly lit engine warning light (not good for the MOT).
CURRENT: Montecarlo Blue Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifolglio, 2.9ltr bi-turbo, 510bhp
PREVIOUS: Volvo V60 Polestar, build number 149/700 worldwide - 3ltr straight 6 turbo. 350bhp remapped to 400bhp. Only one of 120 in the UK
PREVIOUS: Misano red B7 saloon, stage 2 map to 425bhp, manifold flap delete, KW V3 coilovers.

kevconn
2nd Gear

Post by kevconn » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:55 pm

Gonna do a bit of ringing around tomorrow so I have a better understanding of what's going on. Don't really want to be deleting flaps and remapping. I more bothered about how long the job takes as I use car every day.

pablos007
1st Gear

Post by pablos007 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:02 pm

kevconn wrote:Thanks for the info, I'm in Lancashire so is there anybody localish that could do the clean, how much would it be and how long of a job is it?
Thanks
Had mine done at Awesome GTI in Manchester last year, and it gave me around 80bhp back! The difference was night and day! :thumbs:
RS3 8V 2016

RS4JAY
1st Gear

Post by RS4JAY » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:13 pm

What did you do in the end mate?

Hijacking every manifold thread lol
Current Toys -

B7 Audi RS4 Avant - Phantom Black
E92 DCT M3 LE500 - Imola Red
Navara NP300 Tekna
E36 BMW M3 Evo track Car - Cosmos Black

jordanbutters
1st Gear

Post by jordanbutters » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:40 pm

I had my inlet flaps removed and mapped out by Regal. They did a stellar job and, along with a carbon clean, when from 380hp to 420hp.

RS4JAY
1st Gear

Post by RS4JAY » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:54 pm

jordanbutters wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:40 pm
I had my inlet flaps removed and mapped out by Regal. They did a stellar job and, along with a carbon clean, when from 380hp to 420hp.
What did it cost in the end mate ?
Current Toys -

B7 Audi RS4 Avant - Phantom Black
E92 DCT M3 LE500 - Imola Red
Navara NP300 Tekna
E36 BMW M3 Evo track Car - Cosmos Black

jordanbutters
1st Gear

Post by jordanbutters » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:47 pm

I can’t remember now as I had a load of other work done too. Give Regal Autosport a call and mention that Jordan recommended them and they’ll quote you over the phone.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”