Humming/groaning sound after forge oil cooler fitted

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
weekenny
2nd Gear

Re: Humming/groaning sound after forge oil cooler fitted

Post by weekenny » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:47 pm

I already have a Milltek non res but considering getting resonators as it's a little louder than I'd like. Also my oil cooler leaks :audibash:

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:21 pm

You won't hear it with a milltek.

weekenny
2nd Gear

Post by weekenny » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:28 pm

Even if I fit resonators?

Low tech fix overall lol.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:44 pm

Yes, I wasn't even sure if I was just imagining it. It is not loud, barely hear it. And you quickly forget about it even with a quiet exhaust.

weekenny
2nd Gear

Post by weekenny » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:02 pm

Cheers.

musanoadsaba
Neutral

Post by musanoadsaba » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:00 am

Hey guys. Introducing myself with a bump of this thread. This is the first discussion I have been able to find regarding this resonating whine.
I don't feel it is a bolt length problem. To me, it sounds like it is coming from where the lines connect to the engine.
Have any of you figured it out?

weekenny
2nd Gear

Post by weekenny » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:24 am

Yes I solved it, forgot to post here.

Where the lines pass through the chassis leg there is a two part hard plastic spacer that replaces a rubber one. Any vibration passed from the engine to the lines now gets transmitted to the chassis. My fix was to run the lines under the leg rather than through the hole, there is plenty of room which could be due to me having a cold air feed and no sec air system. Not sure as I didn't remove it myself. With this fix the long line is ok but you need to get a longer hose for the short line, the fittings you can re-use so you only need some more line.

Cristi
Neutral

Post by Cristi » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:38 pm

Hello All,

I'm new here and I have found this thread about the Forge cooler. I have the same issue with the humming/vibrating cooler. I went to Forge in Gloucester last Friday, they have checked all connections and confirmed that installation was done correctly.

Where did you find a longer pipe for the short line? Or did someone found a fix for this? The humming noise is extremely annoying . I am considering in sending the Forge cooler back and buy a genuine one.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

weekenny
2nd Gear

Post by weekenny » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:00 pm

I got two long lines in my kit by mistake when I bought it so I had Forge send me a short one but didn’t like the routing or hard spacer so ended up modifying one of the spare long ones.

Cristi
Neutral

Post by Cristi » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:11 pm

Thank you for getting back to me. I have sent the link with this post to Forge, hopefully they'll be able to do the same for my car.
C.

Cristi
Neutral

Post by Cristi » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:18 pm

weekenny wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:24 am
Yes I solved it, forgot to post here.

Where the lines pass through the chassis leg there is a two part hard plastic spacer that replaces a rubber one. Any vibration passed from the engine to the lines now gets transmitted to the chassis. My fix was to run the lines under the leg rather than through the hole, there is plenty of room which could be due to me having a cold air feed and no sec air system. Not sure as I didn't remove it myself. With this fix the long line is ok but you need to get a longer hose for the short line, the fittings you can re-use so you only need some more line.
Hi "weekenny",

Forge is sending me the longer pipe so I can replace the shorter one. :jump_clap:

Do you remember re-routing both lines under the leg or just one? Also, when you say that you modified the second long pipe what do you mean? I suppose you've just done the re-routing without shortening the line, right? Also, did you removed the "two part hard plastic spacer" after the re-routing?

Sorry for asking so many questions but I need to know exactly what to do. :D

Thank you

weekenny
2nd Gear

Post by weekenny » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:38 pm

Yes you can bin the hard spacer. If I remember right I ran both around the leg rather than through it. I had no secondary air system so that might have given more clearance than a standard car. I fitted one long line as it was, the second one I shortened a little to give a better fit.

Route the longer one first, then judge the other one with how much you need to remove. Sorry I can’t be more helpful, I should really have taken pictures and sadly I don’t own the car any more.

Cristi
Neutral

Post by Cristi » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:36 pm

weekenny wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:38 pm
Yes you can bin the hard spacer. If I remember right I ran both around the leg rather than through it. I had no secondary air system so that might have given more clearance than a standard car. I fitted one long line as it was, the second one I shortened a little to give a better fit.

Route the longer one first, then judge the other one with how much you need to remove. Sorry I can’t be more helpful, I should really have taken pictures and sadly I don’t own the car any more.
No worries, thank you for your help. I don't have the option to short the second long one so will have to find a way to fit it as it is..........fingers crossed, work will be carried out on Friday morning.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”