4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
jon_v8
1st Gear

Koni shock absorbers

Post by jon_v8 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:32 am

Look at this on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/111877956688

AUDI RS4 B7 Shock absorbers kit. Replace DRC system KONI special build damper

Has anyone heard or ever used these? I messaged the seller this is the response I got Jon

Unfortunately the 30 or 40 cars we have done are all in South Africa .,( I have just moved back here and my sons run the business there for me,) Many of the cars we did were supercharged as well and those clients were looking for a more capable suspension as well as get rid of the DRC system , The KW height adjust springs are not considered a clever way to lower cars excessively because the standard shock is retained , If you have those already and want the car lower, it will work . Please under stand that the lower you go the worse the car has to ride , this is not to do with the type, or make of product its simple physics there simply isnt enough travel left for the suspension to work nice . . I am in the process of setting up a work Shop and already have the APR ( they are the people who make the supercharger kits for the Audi RS4 ) agency for west midlands . I think we should chat on the phone as its easier to communicate than these messages , You will have lots of questions and i have all the answers . VW / Audi was a huge part of our business there in SA . I expect the same here as well Steve 07469785932 text me and ill call you at a time convenient . The KONI dampers are adjustable we pre set them for the RS4 specifically, other brands simply use the S4 A4 dampers and the valving isn't correct . I can organize the installation and oversee it for you if you would like . . I can also pre adjust them to accomodate the KW spring conversion if you like the chassis stiffer than normal. The KONI dampers are way more comfortable than the competition products because of the LOW pressure gas type of shock . I need to explain all this directly its easier . let me know

FaisalJ
Cruising

Re: Koni shock absorbers

Post by FaisalJ » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:54 am

Surprised there are that many RS4's in SA!

Comes across to me like these are just a set of dampers with a load of extra mumbo jumbo attached. Of course, I could be wrong. From the koni website:
Koni.JPG
These look like the same part numbers he's used, without the "RS4 Special" text.
"Manufacturer Part Number: 8240 F RS4 1235 Special 8040 R RS4 Special"
If you're planning on changing springs and dampers, I'd seriously consider some decent coilovers instead. :thumbs:
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

max_b
4th Gear

Post by max_b » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:02 pm

Bringing this back to the top

Interested to know if anybody has fitted the Koni shocks and how they are finding them

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-RS4-DRC- ... SwLVZV5D13
Mortgages, Insurance, Financial Matters.....need help....ask away
RS4.....another :-)
Previous - all sorts

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:43 am

You might as well get Bilstein PSS (B14) as you can get them for not much more and they are tried and tested. Give Revolution a call, tell them you're an RS246 member and they will sort you out. :thumbs:

m5killer
3rd Gear

Post by m5killer » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:53 am

Koni is not all that id give it a miss I can get the pss16 kit at a decent price what's your budget

Revolution
Trader (Expired)

Post by Revolution » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:26 pm

marc1 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:43 am
You might as well get Bilstein PSS (B14) as you can get them for not much more and they are tried and tested. Give Revolution a call, tell them you're an RS246 member and they will sort you out. :thumbs:
Thanks for that Marc1, yes we can supply Bilstein suspension at great prices for members.

Just give me a call on 0191 4619200 or email me direct on: brad@revolution247.com

Big & little Glen still around but theyre off today..

cheers Brad
http://www.revolution247.com

2016 RS3
2018 VW Tiguan
2010 Smart fourtwo

Sold but never forgotten:
2014 RS4 Sepang Blue
2015 VW Golf-R
1995 Subaru Impreza Series McRae
2012 RS3 Sepang Blue
RS4 B7 Avant Daytona
2002 Renault Avantime V6
2006 2-door Impreza STi
2009 TT TDi Quattro
10 Subaru's inc 22B type UK
Renault Clio V6 MK2
Civic Type-R's Mk1, 2 and 3
Renault Spider, Lotus Exige MK1
Renault Clio 197, Renault Clio Williams MK1
205 GTi 1.6 & 1.9 Gutmann

Shockerboy
2nd Gear

Post by Shockerboy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:57 am

No mumbo jumbo here gents . FaselJ, KONI simply dont list the parts because they dont link up to the DRC system its that simple . I have now supplied over 10 sets in UK and all clients are happy . If you like researching different makes of shock to run them down look up a manufacturers part number for the B6 S4 and compare it to the B7 RS4 part number and see if they are the same / If the answer to this question is "Yes" you will know that no one is actually making a shock specifically for the RS4 , Marc1 the bilstein catalogue lists the same part numbers for both cars ??? How can a B6 be perfect when it cant be adjusted and was actually designed for the S4 ?? . . KONI shocks are dmaper adjustable and this allows us to fine tune the forces to suit the RS4 As the mumbo jumbo stated we have done plenty and with the experience gained we know how to adjust them to get the control of the unsprung mass perfect . ( it is different on an RS4 obviously ) There is another thread on this forum from a client we recently helped and it speaks for it self . The dampers ride much better than any coil over kit and the dampers are serviceable if required . This is not an alternative to coil over ( which is definately not to everyones taste ) but its a terrific alternative to the original and way more comfortable that the alternatives . Dont knock something new if you arent sure about the facts please . We offer a full refund guarantee if you arent over the moon with the rusults , do the competition ??

FaisalJ
Cruising

Koni shock absorbers

Post by FaisalJ » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:19 am

Since you've called me out by name (sort of), I'll respond.

As I said, I stood to be corrected...

The "mumbo jumbo" comment refers as much to your style of communication, as the description of the product.

Sounds like these are just Koni shocks, to replace the DRC...so like fitting coilovers without the ride height adjustability?

Do you have any pics of an install?

Any customers on here?

The 30-40 customers in SA - are they all RS4's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

rs user
4th Gear

Post by rs user » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:00 am

i"m a fan of shocks over coilovers anyday[for a road car] i fitted b14 to mine recently as the alternative shocks simply seemed generic[as is the b14/16/kw etc to be fair]
can the op confirm he modifies the koni shock -or is it just a standard off the shelf koni unit? and also where is the adjustment for them? on my cossies[saphs/3 door] you had to remove/ click twist the rears-the fronts were simple at the top,where is the adjustment on your konis for the rs4 platform>? sorry for the questions but it may help myself and others decide on your product

Shockerboy
2nd Gear

Post by Shockerboy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:12 am

The shocks are supplied adjusted to suit the car ( not modified ) Just so you know that due to the design of the RS4 and A4 you cant get to the top of the shock and adjustament has to be done before fitting, Get it wrong and its a good few hours to remove and re adjust . we save the clients this hassle by knowing exactly what the ideal adustment is for various uses and applications IE road or track , standard springs or lowering all of which affect the adjustment . Coil overs in big saloons for me arent ideal if the car is a daily use car. Owners tend to get fed up of the jarring ride and lack of ground clearance . I have replaced several ally rear gearbox mounts that have hit speed humps in lowered cars .
Have to admit that KONI marketing in Uk isnt great compared to some "go get brands" , but never discount this brand its factory OEM on many top Marque cars and having spent time in their formula 1 workshop for a short while they really do know their stuff .

Shockerboy
2nd Gear

Post by Shockerboy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:25 am

Hi Faisalj I agree because i am a perfectionist and very technical on suspension and handling i tend to get agitated by some comments that are probably made due to bad experiences that clients have had in the past . There is only good news form my side and i want to educate people about suspension and the things that we do wrong that can make a car dangerous, uncomfortable and un road worthy in some cases . I have been involved in Racing for 30 Years ( particularly VW but we can build or supply almost anything for any car ) . This particular thread went wrong for me when some one said Buy Bilstein its tried and tested ?? in their on line UK catalogue they do list the same set for a S 4 as RS4 which tells you that the kit was probably developed for the S4 as no one has a shock to link to the DRC . Probably after trying the replacement shocks inan RS4 and found it to work they added the RS4 to the catalogue . KONI wont do that for T U V reasons and i would love to know if TUV in germany actually approve the after market kits for the RS4 or if its sold with out TUV approval in the rest of the world . . I am just being protective of the Brand which i think is amazing and i have had huge success with here and in SA where i am the official importer for KONI and H&R . I have a customer who has just posted a detailed report on his installation , no pictures but the shocks are standard fitment so apart from the yellow colour nothing exciting to see , its what is inside that is important . I have 2 more clients waiting for stock at the moment and i believe it was from this forum . apologies if you thought my comments were harsh ?

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:45 am

So it's a koni shock kit, pre-set to settings you think work well with the RS4 when used with lowering springs?

Just trying to clarify!

By the way, to provide a balanced point of view, I have KW v3's and have no complaints about ride quality or ground clearance. Admittedly, it's a more expensive solution, so there's still room in the market for a good springs and shocker combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2007 RS4 B7 Avant

rs user
4th Gear

Post by rs user » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:19 pm

if i was fitting anything on the front which is top adjustable i would drill a small hole to allow adjustment
it wont weaken it as its braced by the shock absorber top plate-triangulated in effect-a suitable grommet and it would be spot on so the adjustment wouldnt be an issue
although the b14 are harder/ firmer than drc they are fine for my old bones-this is my second rs4 the first having been the saloon on drc
if i were doing another drc removal i would give these a try though tbh

Shockerboy
2nd Gear

Post by Shockerboy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:23 pm

Faisalj , The KONI shocks are normally sold as a direct replacement for the DRC , with further adjustment they will work on the Lowered springs perfectly. . many customers dont want to change the ride height for fear of a bumpier ride and limited ground clearance ( less that 10 % of my clients have H&R springs as well) . we can easily cope with what ever choice , I am just not a fan of the KW coil over conversion kit Jon had on his car , its a gimmicky thing and only useful for cosmetic reasons really , also puts more strain on the achilles heal DRC dampers . Some one commented about the ANTI roll bars needing to be replaced . again only 2 customers of mine did anti roll bars and one of them still had the DRC and H&R springs . His Car felt good but it was brand new when we did it and clearly this helped as the DRS shocks were new as well .
The KONI dampers are stiffer in low frequency movements as i mentioned and this compensates nicely , there fore only recommend A R B for track day guys .
A small bit of Unknown info for you as a KW fan , when KW initially started out in the suspension industry they contracted KONI to design and build their valves for them . This caused quite a stir in the industry as KONI distributors lost work to KW and KW got stronger with aggressive marketing and distribution , The relationship wasnt to last ha ha .I have no idea if they do their own valves nowadays .

max_b
4th Gear

Post by max_b » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:53 pm

Having developed a leak from one of my DRC pipes, I'm going to give the Koni shocks a go.
I've spoken to Steve at length about what he does and he is certainly passionate about his work. He is confident the shocks will provide a set up very similiar to DRC, so once they've been installed I'll update this thread with my thoughts
Mortgages, Insurance, Financial Matters.....need help....ask away
RS4.....another :-)
Previous - all sorts

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”