Koni shock absorbers

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Bladerider
4th Gear

Re: Koni shock absorbers

Post by Bladerider » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:52 pm

So to sumarise,

A self-publicising trader has appeared on the forum to preach the gospel on the product he deals in while passing disparaging comments on well known and respected competitors.

You can tell what part of the world you're from chap, standard operating procedure !!

You might be the most talented suspension guru in the world but I think you need to start your existence here by learning how to use paragraphs, courtesy to opponents and maybe not chipping in with dubious facts and lack of proof to confirm your opinions.

J.
07 RS4 Avus Avant : Usual spec with Buckets+FBSW+iPod dock+TV etc...100k+
Thanks to GBH Motorsport MRC Tuning VirdeeAuto Dubstep AwesomeGTI Wallachie Trups
H&R - Coilovers ARBs Spacers : 034 - RearArms Droplinks BilletMounts StrutTops : Eibach FrontArms : Powerflex Bushes
MRC - Stage2 Map+codeouts Stage2 Inlet+7mm gasket Stage2 deCarbon CAF : BMC Filter : Milltek Decats NonRes
Anthracite Alloys : Advan Neovas : Ferodo Pads+Castrol SRF : HEL Brakelines : Trups LED lighting

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:41 pm

Actually that's a good point, it didn't even register - traders need to register to use the forum to advertise their stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

Litimag
Neutral

Post by Litimag » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:13 pm

FaisalJ wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:41 pm
Actually that's a good point, it didn't even register - traders need to register to use the forum to advertise their stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think he was advertising as such, the OP linked his eBay listing and did a copy and paste of some correspondence he had with the guy. When he subsequently showed up, he did go a bit overboard with with the unsubstantiated stuff though.
Sprint blue RS4 B7 Avant :nogarors4:
Bilstein B14
LED interior
RNS-E mk2 2010+
Milltek exhaust system
APR Tune

Shockerboy
2nd Gear

Post by Shockerboy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:59 pm

Hi Gentlemen. I find it a little odd that i had a private mail correspondence splashed all over this thread, with out my permission by one member !! I was then accused of talking MUMBO JUMBO by another member, It was then suggested by another member that the products i promote arent as good as "tried and tested Bilstein " . I have tried to offer genuine facts regarding forum members suspension woes and i am qualified to do this, contrary to another comment made about my knowledge and expertise by another member . What is it with all this nonsense. ??
I dont understand why some forum members like to always look for a arguement rather than debate something properly . A lot of Car owners buy all the wrong parts for their cars BECAUSE they listen to comments made on Forums by people who often arent experienced. I try my level best to offer sound advise from 30 years experience in the industry to people who want help and advise.
Of course i am in the industry how else would you get such experience ? I am happy to become a Sponsor of this site and contribute if the administrators wish to contact me. I stand by all my comments made in earlier statements and they can all be substantiate, and apologise to the Administrators if they feel any thing i said was a HARD sell . Lets grow up people and help the members on this forum, after all thats why they are here.

rs user
4th Gear

Post by rs user » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:04 am

i wouldnt worry about it tbh-the older amongst us may be swayed towards shocks where the younger lads will go for coilovers

my car had budget coilovers on it[cheapies yes i think the previous owner was sick of spending after a clutch assy and cooler pipes etc,4 tyres etc] and it was simple to replace with bilstein coilovers for me -if the car was on leaky drc i would have opted for bilstein shocks or konis keeping standard springs-i had actually paid for a bilstein kit but the german mob i bought from were too slow and unsure about rs4 fitment so i cancelled and went to b14
so easy if changing just the shocks-rears 20 mins fronts couple of hours-insted of the pita dropping rear subframe etc

max_b
4th Gear

Post by max_b » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:10 am

I've had my work done my Steve (CRS) and I've had no problems. I'll write up a fuller report when I get a chance.
Mortgages, Insurance, Financial Matters.....need help....ask away
RS4.....another :-)
Previous - all sorts

ixi_ixi
1st Gear

Post by ixi_ixi » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:12 am

Shock/spring combo VS coilover, this has been debated many times and each has its own merits and shortcomings. I am sure most RS owners or car enthusiasts are well aware of that.

What really amazes me is Shockerboy presents himself as an expert in the suspension field with over 30 years racing experience and he is "a perfectionist and very technical on suspension and handling" and sold 30-40 Koni sets in SA and 10 sets in UK for our cars with his own adjustments and yet he doesn't know the original spring rates on our RS4. See another recent thread he tried to "contribute" here: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=126729

I am not an expert in suspension design but I presumed if any serious suspension tuner who want to develop a kit for our car to replace a failing DRC system would at least match the aftermarket shocks to the OEM or lowering springs by using a shock dyno and spring tester. They should know the stock spring rates through their own research or at least have their own test data of the stock spring rates.

Another thing I observed is that most of his other posts in this forum are bashing coilover system and how uncomfortable they are. In his own words: "...please remember that the coil over kits are very popular with the boy racer who wants to slam the car to the ground , they arent always ideal for larger Saloon cars with a daily purpose...."

Looks like he is talking about old coilover designs in the 90's which were quite unforgiving for daily use. Nowadays, most modern coilover designs by reputable companies are focusing more on daily usability/ride qualities.

The general consensus is that, shocks and springs have to be well matched together, regardless whether it is a coilover system or shock/spring combo. A well designed coilover systems would be more comfortable and perform better than a mis-matched shock/spring combo and vice versa.

But then, what do I know? I only drive a hairdresser RS4 :smile_smoking:
B7 RS4 Cabriolet
Ported and deflap manifold, carbon fibre intake, piggies, MRC remap and heaps of preventive maintenance works lol

Shockerboy
2nd Gear

Post by Shockerboy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:41 am

ixi_ixi I mention my experience to give confidence to the people who want to listen, i do speak confidently from a wealth of suspension knowledge, and i can offer sound, safe advise to members who are interested to listen , You should realise that if something is said on a forum you can pass on it , you dont have to chirp if you dont like what is being said !!! ( I tolerated one of the members actually blasting my history and personal mails all over the forum with out concent anyway, and listened to derogatory remarks about Mumbo jumbo as i have said ) . We accept every forum has these moments . But to your point about springs .
Offering the solution i offer i dont need to know the standard spring rates and even though i own a sgring tester all i need to know is that Audi developed it and they are happy with it. ( We often use the lowering equivalent by H&R for which we do know the rates and adjust the shocks accordingly ) It will be very difficult to get the rates from Audi as i feel this is the type of info not generally released , BUT my comment to the memeber who was searching for coil over springs for his newly aquired shock kit was simply to do some more research as the rates mentioned by another member seemed high and swapping springs is time consuming and costly if the car doesnt ride well. . I am not familiar with his brand of shock and if i had a sound proposal for him i would have helped . He said its a Daily drive and in my opinion it wont be pleasant on the mentioned rates. The Audi runs a heavy motion ratio and this affects the shock and spring stiffness are you familiar with these terms and what it means ?? Happy to explain if people want to know .
Not everyone driving sporty cars wants the harsh ride associated with sport suspension and there are alternatives that give great results and this is what i am trying to say.
As a race driver who raced on Bilstein dampers for 10 years i am also very familiar with the brand and i did plenty of revalving and developement with the Bilstein workshop to perfect the handling in my Race car . I wasnt KNOCKING Bilstein at all i was using it as an example because one of the members pointed out that KONI dont show RS 4 in the catalogue . You obviously have read all my posts as you mentioned . My point was simply all the other brands list the same part for the S4 B6 , as the RS4 B7 and ofcourse there are differences in these cars when it comes to the chassis . I could have said KW instead as they also do it also ? I havent come accross any shock manucaturer that actually builds a damper specifically for the RS4 even though some list in their catalogue .
I accept that some of the RS4 drivers want the aggressive ride and lower stance and a Coil over kit by Bilstein or who ever is the only choice and it will be great, ( as long as its a quality brand and not the cheap products available today ) . MY point was that if you want a cost effective alternative to the DRC which maintains standard comfort and improves handling, there is a solution . A really good solution and i really dont understand why certain people are miffed by this ??

ixi_ixi
1st Gear

Post by ixi_ixi » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:16 am

You don't seems to realize this is a RS forum and most members participate here are experienced car enthusiasts and know what we want from our cars well. I found that the people in this forum are reasonable and mature, while the atmosphere here is more friendly and restrained than most other forums out there.

I am sure we all appreciate fair opinion and sound advise but it is just my observation from your posts. I am sure others who responded to your posts have the same observation too and hence their comments.

Btw, you ask me whether I am familiar with the term motion ratio. Again you are assuming I know nothing from your tone and this is not necessary and not contribute to the discussion/forum in any ways.

For those who are interested, the rear motion ratio on B6/B7 is just under 0.6 and a bit over 0.7 at the front. One practical use of this information is when you want to adjust the ride heights on the coilover. You can calculate the approx. adjustment you need on the coilover body in order to achieve the change in ride height you are aiming for.

As I said, what do I know, I only drive a hairdresser RS4 :smile_smoking:
B7 RS4 Cabriolet
Ported and deflap manifold, carbon fibre intake, piggies, MRC remap and heaps of preventive maintenance works lol

rs user
4th Gear

Post by rs user » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:47 am

i wouldnt knock cheap coilovers either though-if it wasnt for the fact the ones i removed were too low on the highest setting they would have done nicely tbh-just a tad choppy at the front over undulations,but thats probably to do with the spring being set at the highest hight possible which also preloads it more-my pet hate ,the main shortcoming with the b14/16 for me is this

i would rather have coilovers where you move the body up/down in an insert etc keeping preload the same[like some bc coilovers etc]

worst coilovers i have ever had were hks on an evo-utterly horrid-not great even on a smooth surface

davebirl
Neutral

Post by davebirl » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:32 pm

max_b wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:10 am
I've had my work done my Steve (CRS) and I've had no problems. I'll write up a fuller report when I get a chance.
I'd for one would like to hear some feedback on the Koni's you had installed by Steve! Thank you.
B7 RS4 - Missano Red- RS6 Steering Wheel
Gone 2 X 8L S3, 2 X Corrado VR6, Corrado G60

mister_g
1st Gear

Post by mister_g » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:54 pm

max_b wrote:
Ready yet Max?
With my black B7
I'm in B7th heaven
And with DRC
My ride is heavenly
:blackrs4:

Shockerboy
2nd Gear

Post by Shockerboy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:25 pm

mister_g . Would you like to hear comments from RS4 drivers that have fitted the KONI dampers ?? . Since this thread began ( a long time ago ) i have supplied dozens of kits to members of this Forum and their friends .
Max 's case was a little unique as he had purchased a car from An Audi Dealer and after pointing out a DRC issue to them it was agreed that the dealer would pay me to repair Max's car for him, under their warranty .
I can send you remarks from clients but i think a good search on this forum will give you plenty of unbiased guidance !
The kit is supplied with detailed fitment instructions and a set of DRC pipe close off caps to seal the pipes which remain on the car,.
The Kit has been further developed by KONI and CRS to offer customers a dedicated solution specifically for the RS 4 and it has been allocated a new RS4 Part number to avoid confusion in the market . We also offer discounts to members now we are an official Sponsor of the forum .

please let me know if you need more info ,

davebirl
Neutral

Post by davebirl » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:30 pm

I have Shockerboys Koni kit installed in my RS4. Great value and feels just like it did before the DRC started leaking. As factory feel to drive and handle as I can tell.No complaints here.
B7 RS4 - Missano Red- RS6 Steering Wheel
Gone 2 X 8L S3, 2 X Corrado VR6, Corrado G60

aby1
Neutral

Post by aby1 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:00 pm

mister_g wrote:
max_b wrote:
Ready yet Max?
I bought max b RS4, And I can honestly say the ride comfort is firm but not to hard, Also handles very well, It's also lowered by 20mm on H&R Spring.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”