SAT NAV DISC 2015 W/Speed Cameras

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Wotsirb
2nd Gear

Re: SAT NAV DISC 2015 W/Speed Cameras

Post by Wotsirb » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:05 pm

PetrolDave wrote:
marc1 wrote:I was lead to believe the copied disks caused damage to the RNSE laser. Does anyone know if that's true? I wouldn't mind full postcodes but not at the expense of the unit itself.
As an Admin on audiforum.us for over 10 years I've helped many people retrofit and repair the RNS-E. Prior to 2005 the DVD drive on the RNS-E was very susceptible to overheating and subsequently failing when reading copied DVDs. But in 2005 Audi changed the DVD drive and reports of failures of the new drive (which will be in all factory fitted RNS-E on the B7 and in all 2010+ RNS-E) even with copied DVDs are very rare, but do still happen.

The main problem now is inability to read a copied DVD in cold and/or damp conditions, but since reading a copied DVD is harder (and hence the laser power needs to be higher) than a pressed DVD so the risk of failure when reading a copied DVD is still increased.

The disc I have purchased has been tested on thousands of cars. The company themselves are revamping their FB and webpages as we speak. The ONLY reason I bought is because all customers had no issues.

I have been assured that if the disc stopped working/didn't work they would send a replacement or offer full refund.

If you want a reliable source, email the guy from my original post.
Toy: '07 B7 RS4 Avant Sprint Blue
Daily: 06 B7 2.0T Special Edition Avant

Previous: '09 B8 2.0T Quattro S line Avant

- OEM Defined - Instagram: @OEMDefined - Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OemDefined/ -

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:43 pm

Wotsirb wrote:
PetrolDave wrote:
marc1 wrote:I was lead to believe the copied disks caused damage to the RNSE laser. Does anyone know if that's true? I wouldn't mind full postcodes but not at the expense of the unit itself.
As an Admin on audiforum.us for over 10 years I've helped many people retrofit and repair the RNS-E. Prior to 2005 the DVD drive on the RNS-E was very susceptible to overheating and subsequently failing when reading copied DVDs. But in 2005 Audi changed the DVD drive and reports of failures of the new drive (which will be in all factory fitted RNS-E on the B7 and in all 2010+ RNS-E) even with copied DVDs are very rare, but do still happen.

The main problem now is inability to read a copied DVD in cold and/or damp conditions, but since reading a copied DVD is harder (and hence the laser power needs to be higher) than a pressed DVD so the risk of failure when reading a copied DVD is still increased.
The disc I have purchased has been tested on thousands of cars. The company themselves are revamping their FB and webpages as we speak. The ONLY reason I bought is because all customers had no issues.

I have been assured that if the disc stopped working/didn't work they would send a replacement or offer full refund.
A properly copied DVD will work on all RNS-E in normal weather conditions, but as I've said cold and/or damp weather can cause problems. The disc isn't faulty, the DVD drive isn't faulty, it's just a combination of factors that makes a copied DVD temporarily unreadable. Take the DVD inside and put it in your PC and it will read perfectly, then take it back outside and if the car is warmer then the DVD will read perfectly. Will they replace the DVD in that situation? I doubt it because when they test the DVD it will be perfectly readable.

It's good to know that they stand by their product, but my 10 years experience with hundreds of RNS-E on more than 1 continent has taught me that there are situations when an RNS-E will not be able to read a copied DVD but will read a pressed DVD - and if that happens when you're in a location you don't know then you don't have sat nav until the RNS-E warms up and it's down to old-fashioned "nose following" for the first few miles. Probably not disastrous, but annoying.

As per the old saying "caveat emptor".
Gone: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black)

Wickedbad
Neutral

Post by Wickedbad » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:47 am

Sorry to drag up an old post for my first question, but I guess that’s what search is for!

Is there anyway to downgrade/backdate your nav system once it’s been upgraded?

Sounds an odd question but bear with me. Based on this thread I got myself a copy of the dodgy 2015 map disc with aforementioned hack for postcodes and speed cameras etc. Great stuff.
A9CAED69-BEBE-4770-8ECD-1CE79B6C4797.jpeg
Arrived this morning and put it in... nothing. Checked the small print on the disc I’d removed (that my car came with) and it’s 2017! It says once a newer disc has been used (to update firmware) you can’t update from an older disc.
4A425344-BB13-4899-AC6E-37E3F8DEE366.jpeg
I know, I know, more fool me for not checking first. But it was a £10 impulse buy.

Makes sense but I’d actually rather have cameras and full postcode search with 2015 maps than crappy search and 2017 maps.

Does anyone know if there’s a way to revert, possibly using VCDS?

Ta!

MB2
Top Gear

Post by MB2 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:05 pm

The firmware stopped updating in about 2008 so I don't think that is going to be the problem as it would only be a car on the original disc that hasn't had a firmware update by now.

Wickedbad
Neutral

Post by Wickedbad » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:37 pm

MB2 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:05 pm
The firmware stopped updating in about 2008 so I don't think that is going to be the problem as it would only be a car on the original disc that hasn't had a firmware update by now.
Ta.

I’m just going on what it says round the edge of my 2017 disc:

“Please not that by inserting this DVD into the navigation system for the first time, new software is installed. Only this DVD or newer DVDs may be used. DVDs with the following part numbers can no longer be used”

It then lists the part number of my 2015 DVD. And sure enough, the 2015 DVD won’t install the software.

I’m guessing when I put the 2015 DVD in, the system is looking at the part number, seeing it’s earlier than currently installed 2017 software, and ignoring the installation/update procedure

mikep99
4th Gear

Post by mikep99 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:17 am

I'm pretty sure you can downgrade the firmware by changing a value through VCDS and then reinserting the original disc.
Have a search for "rns-e firmware downgrade" - I think it's been discussed on other forums quite a bit.

Mike

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”