Dashcams...

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Wotsirb
2nd Gear

Dashcams...

Post by Wotsirb » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:52 pm

Anybody use one/multiple for front/rear?

If so, what would you recommend? Been looking on the old google and choice is huge... but there also seems to be plenty of cheap cameras about... not so sure I'd like to wire some Chinese POS into my RS...

Many Thanks
Toy: '07 B7 RS4 Avant Sprint Blue
Daily: 06 B7 2.0T Special Edition Avant

Previous: '09 B8 2.0T Quattro S line Avant

- OEM Defined - Instagram: @OEMDefined - Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OemDefined/ -

FaisalJ
Cruising

Re: Dashcams...

Post by FaisalJ » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:03 pm

I just got the blackvue DR650 front and rear kit fitted on recommendation from another RS owner. Had it fitted in wifey's car too.

Not the cheapest but good quality, discreet, and I like the fact that it has a motion activated parking mode and an app that allows you to access the videos on your phone (only when in the car though.) You need the power magic accessory to stop the battery getting drained with the parking mode on.
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

gilly
2nd Gear

Post by gilly » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:14 pm

I have a Transcend drivepro 100 (only front facing) G sensor, emergency record, hardwired it in so it's permanently recording. Great piece of kit for £90 & the recording & playback is fantastic quality day or night.
Misano Red| Black Optics| Black alloys| Black mirrors| Full CC at MRC| MRC Stage 2 Manifold| MRC Stage 2 Remap| De-Catted| KW V3 with H&R Fr & rear ARB| H&R Hubcentric spacers 8mm Fr, 10mm rear| A few choice CF goodies to go on|

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:17 pm

Just picked up three end-of-line discontinued Mio MiVue cameras tonight in fact for £180. Brand new, sealed boxes, plug and play, GPS, 1920 res etc

Will hard wire them into the respective fuse boxes (A3 A4 + C2) when I get a chance and the bits I'm ordering from Amazon arrive
B5 B6 B7 B9

irishmike
3rd Gear

Post by irishmike » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:21 pm

I got a present of a nextbase 512 a few weeks ago. It's pricey, but great bit of kit. GPS, g sensor for accidents and such.

Very good quality footage day and night.

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:27 pm

What are the implications, should you be involved in an accident (assume that's why you want the cameras) and you had a spirited drive sometime earlier...

Wotsirb
2nd Gear

Post by Wotsirb » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:36 pm

FaisalJ wrote:I just got the blackvue DR650 front and rear kit fitted on recommendation from another RS owner. Had it fitted in wifey's car too.

Not the cheapest but good quality, discreet, and I like the fact that it has a motion activated parking mode and an app that allows you to access the videos on your phone (only when in the car though.) You need the power magic accessory to stop the battery getting drained with the parking mode on.
Looks good, higher end of the budget mind!

Looked at the power magic kit... well, the price of it. What does it actually do? Feel free to FON me!

- OEM Defined - Instagram: @OEMDefined - Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OemDefined/ -

gilly
2nd Gear

Post by gilly » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:54 pm

marc1 wrote:What are the implications, should you be involved in an accident (assume that's why you want the cameras) and you had a spirited drive sometime earlier...
You can delete any footage you want to & keep any that you need to.
Misano Red| Black Optics| Black alloys| Black mirrors| Full CC at MRC| MRC Stage 2 Manifold| MRC Stage 2 Remap| De-Catted| KW V3 with H&R Fr & rear ARB| H&R Hubcentric spacers 8mm Fr, 10mm rear| A few choice CF goodies to go on|

rspj
4th Gear

Post by rspj » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:00 pm

What if you speeding just before say accident
rs4 b8 Suzuka, grey 14

coffey555
5th Gear

Post by coffey555 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:11 pm

gilly wrote:
marc1 wrote:What are the implications, should you be involved in an accident (assume that's why you want the cameras) and you had a spirited drive sometime earlier...
You can delete any footage you want to & keep any that you need to.
Assuming you have use of your fingers and you get to it before plod does once you wake up in your hospital bed......

Ban them all....... before long you will not be able to fart without it being recorded on camera/gps tracker/iphone let along drive a car quickly in a fast but safe manner.
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:17 pm

This is my point. You can't exactly hold you had up saying "I've got it all on camera", and then in the next sentence say "but beat with me while I edit it". As said, this even assumes you are able to do this, you might not have the option due to time / injury, etc.

irishmike
3rd Gear

Post by irishmike » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:42 pm

There was a case recently where the footage was used to convict a guy of dangerous overtaking, first in the UK I think.
The car who had the camera was speeding, only slightly though, and nothing happened to him.

Wotsirb
2nd Gear

Post by Wotsirb » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:10 pm

Assuming you have use of your fingers and you get to it before plod does once you wake up in your hospital bed......

Ban them all....... before long you will not be able to fart without it being recorded on camera/gps tracker/iphone let along drive a car quickly in a fast but safe manner.[/quote]

You have to assume positive intent with all this. I want a dashcam to highlight my innocence in a potential accident and to monitor the car when parked just in case someone bumps me.

Technology can always be used to catch people out. Just depends if you do get caught.

gilly
2nd Gear

Post by gilly » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:37 pm

The cameras record for approx 3 mins, then overwrite the previous data once the memory card gets full, if something triggers the G sensor or you press the emergency record that is not overwritten but is protected, but you can still delete it if you want to. Make sense?

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:29 am

Wotsirb wrote:
FaisalJ wrote:I just got the blackvue DR650 front and rear kit fitted on recommendation from another RS owner. Had it fitted in wifey's car too.

Looks good, higher end of the budget mind!

Looked at the power magic kit... well, the price of it. What does it actually do? Feel free to FON me!
FON!!

The power magic cuts power to the cameras when the battery voltage drops to a predefined value, so that it doesn't get drained to the point the car won't start.

In reality, I find that means that the parking mode will work for a couple of days after the RS4 is parked up on my drive, whereas the golf will go for a day before the power magic cuts in. The golf is on the road, so I think the motion activation is getting triggered all the time.

With regards to the whole debate over whether these are actually a good idea or not, for me they add a bit of piece of mind. In the past I've had a couple of cars damaged whilst parked up and the culprit hasn't left details. I've also had a guy pull out of a side road without slowing/looking and smash into me...he then gave his brothers details. Took a while to sort that one out (luckily I had a witness) but would have been easier with the whole incident and his face on camera.
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”