Anyone here changed their clutch switch?

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
markshepps
1st Gear

Re: Anyone here changed their clutch switch?

Post by markshepps » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:11 am

Awesome stuff Sam!
I'm doing my brake light switch at the moment... Don't suppose there's one of these guides floating around for that is there?
Brake light switch is directly to the left of the upper clutch switch? 4 pin connector?

audi_do_dat_den
3rd Gear

Post by audi_do_dat_den » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:36 am

MikeFish wrote:Clutch switches:
Upper 6Q0 927 189
Lower 7H0 927 189

If the lower one is failing it will mean you have to keep the starter button pressed until the car starts and get an EPC light on the dash.
If the upper one is failing it will mean your cruise control may not work and you might get jerky gear changes.
Hi Mike,
Are you 100% sure that the lower switch is the 7H0?
Ive just done a cross ref with the old blue floor switch number on several parts sites and the lower floor mounted switch comes up as the 6Q0 superceded number.

The upper white switch at the pedal is showing as the 7H0...

I will ask again at the dealer when i pick up the new switches.... im even thinking of making a duplicate purchase just in case! :bigblink:

audi_do_dat_den
3rd Gear

Post by audi_do_dat_den » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:43 am

markshepps wrote:Awesome stuff Sam!
I'm doing my brake light switch at the moment... Don't suppose there's one of these guides floating around for that is there?
Brake light switch is directly to the left of the upper clutch switch? 4 pin connector?
Hello mate,
This is what ive found so far on fitting switches -
Twist and remove the old one.

Push the pedal down before putting the switch into the hole.

Put the switch into the hole but dont twist yet.

While holding it tight against the hole/mount bracket, slowly release the pedal so it pushes the plunger of the switch.

Then twist clockwise gently and it should be in line or parallel to the switch next to it.

The key to success is as Mike mentioned, and to not twist until the plunger is in its position with the pedal pushing it in.

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:39 am

MikeFish wrote:Sam, you da man! I was being very careful to not press the plunger in until it had been installed and twisted as per previous warnings I'd read, but that was the key bit I was missing, press the plunger before twisting!
Took me about 10 seconds to install it right. Car starts now without holding the button down and no EPC error light!

Excellent, glad the info helped a little Mike. It's always good to fix those little niggles :thumbs:
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:45 am

Here's one for the Brake Light Switch :thumbs: Again, I've not replaced this item so have no experience on it to share.

click to enlarge
Brake_Light_Switch.jpg
ELSA - Brake Light Switch renewal
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

markshepps
1st Gear

Post by markshepps » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:51 am

Surrey Sam wrote:
Here's one for the Brake Light Switch :thumbs: Again, I've not replaced this item so have no experience on it to share.

click to enlarge
Brake_Light_Switch.jpg
Cheers Sam and Audi_do_dat_den for all the pointers... .Mission accomplished and brake lights are now again operational!
Appreciate all the help and pointers along the way... took all of 10 mins in the end... Was just worried I was pulling out the wrong switch :biggrin2:

audi_do_dat_den
3rd Gear

Post by audi_do_dat_den » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:16 pm

Happy days!
I think the rule of thumb with these troublesome switches is to ensure the plungers are pushed in before twisting into position as the contact section in the switch needs to be in a certain spot or it mashes itself up as you twist into the locked position.
Nothings simple with these motors!

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:18 pm

Cool, did replacing the BL switch sort out the ESP light/problem you had?

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:49 pm

audi_do_dat_den wrote:
Upper 6Q0 927 189
Lower 7H0 927 189

If the lower one is failing it will mean you have to keep the starter button pressed until the car starts and get an EPC light on the dash.
If the upper one is failing it will mean your cruise control may not work and you might get jerky gear changes.
Hi Mike,
Ive just done a cross ref with the old blue floor switch number on several parts sites and the lower floor mounted switch comes up as the 6Q0 superceded number.

I will ask again at the dealer when i pick up the new switches.... im even thinking of making a duplicate purchase just in case! :bigblink:
I'll double check the numbers when I get home tonight.

audi_do_dat_den
3rd Gear

Post by audi_do_dat_den » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:56 pm

Nice one Mike,
That would be a lifesaver.

markshepps
1st Gear

Post by markshepps » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:26 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:Cool, did replacing the BL switch sort out the ESP light/problem you had?
Yes Sam, no more solid ESP light after changing brake switch.... Happy Days!

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:08 am

audi_do_dat_den wrote:
Upper 6Q0 927 189
Lower 7H0 927 189

Hi Mike,

Apologies you are right, these are the correct numbers:
Upper 7H0 927 189 (white; clutch up detection)
Lower 6Q0 927 189 (blue; clutch down detection)

audi_do_dat_den
3rd Gear

Post by audi_do_dat_den » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:12 am

Hi Mike,
Thank you so much for double checking the numbers.
The new lower switch is blue also.

Ive fitted both now but the CC still doesnt work :-(
EPC light is out and engine starts with one touch now :-)

God knows what to do now with the CC...... :bash:

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:50 pm

Is there any way to test the upper switch is actually working? Sounds like it may be still faulty?

audi_do_dat_den
3rd Gear

Post by audi_do_dat_den » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:17 pm

Well it can be checked on VCDS for function but i did that before with the first switch and got two different switching points in the switch full travel....
The thing is, it worked before i changed the switch so either it needs resetting or ive broken switch number 2.... :-(

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”