Anyone here changed their clutch switch?

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
audi_do_dat_den
3rd Gear

Anyone here changed their clutch switch?

Post by audi_do_dat_den » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:22 am

I bought a new switch from Audi (a 7HO...) and followed some instructions for a B7 A4 of the same year..... followed to the letter.

When i fitted it, i depressed the pedal and fitted it to its bayonet.
Two clicks until it was home and in line with the brake switch etc....
Then when i released the clutch pedal, there was a horrible plastic crunch sound as the pedal relaxed against it.... :-/
Now i have no cruise control and i checked its function on VCDS.
In the engine block 01, group 066 the function of the switch can be checked but im getting a strange result.....
At rest, it reads 1100 and changes to 1000 when pressed slightly... then goes back to 1100 when fully pressed to the floor... ?
Is that correct or have i shagged the new switch?
Is there a definitive installation procedure for this switch because im reading 50% conflicting views on how to fit the switch....
Any help is gratefully received!

MikeFish
Cruising

Re: Anyone here changed their clutch switch?

Post by MikeFish » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:34 am

This sounds like the upper clutch switch. I have had nothing but trouble with my lower clutch switch. I decided to change both the upper and lower clutch switches as a precaution even though there was nothing wrong with either of them. The top one was a simple swap and I had no trouble with it.
However, I couldn't get the lower one to twist In position correctly and would sound like its snapped when pressed in. Needles to say it didn't work. I tried to put the original one back in but I must have broken it as I removed it cos that stopped working too. I bought another one from Audi and the same thing happened so I don't know if there is a bad batch of them or whether I'm just being a numpty.

audi_do_dat_den
3rd Gear

Post by audi_do_dat_den » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:47 am

Hello mate, yes it was the upper one next to the brake switch.
The starter inhibitor switch was blue and down near the floor area.... and i foolishly removed that one too :bash:

That one is now in several bits after i tried to refit it :bash: :bash: :bash:

Anyway, ill get a new one of those on tuesday hopefully.
Ive jumpered the connection to allow me to run the car but im getting an EPC fault light from that....

God.... it was just a simple job and i had to pi55 about with dark sciences i know not much of....

Thing is, i asked audi to supply both clutch switches and theve supplied a brake switch (i think) in place of the inhibit switch.... my brain hurrrrts.... :-(

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:50 am

If you broke the lower clutch switch it will give you the EPC fault light as mine is on. You can tell if it works or not by whether you have to keep the starter button pressed to start the car or just press it and let go.

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:12 am

Never had to do either of these switches myself, but here is the info ELSA has on the process. If that's any help to you both?

click to enlarge
Lower_Clutch_Switch.jpg
ELSA details on lower clutch switch renewal.
Upper_Clutch_Switch.jpg
ELSA details on upper clutch switch renewal
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

audi_do_dat_den
3rd Gear

Post by audi_do_dat_den » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:55 am

Youre some kind of superhero Sam...
I bought the Bentley manuals on CD a while back.... but they only work on Win XP.... and i dont do XP :(
I think its safe to say that the procedure for switch installing remains the same despite superceded types etc
Thanks again for your help!

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:58 am

Archived for future reference! Cheers, Sam!
Gone but never forgotten:
2007 RS4 B7 Saloon, Metallic Silver with SS+.
LED's all round and Dectane LED tailights. KDS detail and paint. Lepsons black chrome, heavy on the silver wheels. JCWeldFab full system - valved and no pre-cats. MRC stage 2, de-flap and full carbon clean - 438PS and 489NM. HEL brake lines. H&R Spacers. Gtechniq C1 and EXO V2 coatings. 2010+ RNS-E. On the MRC dyno: http://youtu.be/y_k0VJ2--y8

audi_do_dat_den
3rd Gear

Post by audi_do_dat_den » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:58 am

MikeFish wrote:If you broke the lower clutch switch it will give you the EPC fault light as mine is on. You can tell if it works or not by whether you have to keep the starter button pressed to start the car or just press it and let go.
Hi Mike,
Thats exactly whats happening.... im just cheesed off at audi for supplying the wrong switches....
The second switch is definitely a brake switch as it has 4 terminals.
Thanks for the info mate.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:46 pm

Sam, you da man! I was being very careful to not press the plunger in until it had been installed and twisted as per previous warnings I'd read, but that was the key bit I was missing, press the plunger before twisting!
Took me about 10 seconds to install it right. Car starts now without holding the button down and no EPC error light!

RS6BRIT
3rd Gear

Post by RS6BRIT » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:12 pm

My god I love it here! ! I was about to do "I've done a Mike" post as I too have buggered 2 new lower switches today. I've ordered 2 more from eBay. De but I was until a few moments ago preparing for yet more breakages as I couldn't work our where I was I was going wrong ! Hopefully not anymore.

THANK YOU SAM !!!

Audi Pardner
4th Gear

Post by Audi Pardner » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:16 pm

Good thread and advice here.

Does anyone have the part nos for the switches please?
Misano Red B7 RS4 Avant. 20" Rotors. KW adjustable spring kit. 8 & 10mm H&R spacers. MRC Stage 2 remap. Pre-cat delete & x-pipe.

RS6BRIT
3rd Gear

Post by RS6BRIT » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:24 pm

Lower one is 7HO 927 189

Don't know about the upper One. I will have a spare lower one asumming that i don't fowl up the fit if you need one.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:58 pm

Clutch switches:
Upper 6Q0 927 189
Lower 7H0 927 189

If the lower one is failing it will mean you have to keep the starter button pressed until the car starts and get an EPC light on the dash.
If the upper one is failing it will mean your cruise control may not work and you might get jerky gear changes.
Last edited by MikeFish on Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Audi Pardner
4th Gear

Post by Audi Pardner » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:57 pm

Thanks guys; great help as always :thumbs:
Misano Red B7 RS4 Avant. 20" Rotors. KW adjustable spring kit. 8 & 10mm H&R spacers. MRC Stage 2 remap. Pre-cat delete & x-pipe.

audi_do_dat_den
3rd Gear

Post by audi_do_dat_den » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:21 pm

MikeFish wrote: I was being very careful to not press the plunger in until it had been installed and twisted as per previous warnings I'd read, but that was the key bit I was missing, press the plunger before twisting!
That there is pure gold mate!
Thats what i needed to hear and precisely why this forum is essential!
Thanks a million for the advice, the part numbers and for taking the time to help a lot of other folks!

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”