Door Handle Rattle - How to fix with pictures

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Surrey Sam
Cruising

Door Handle Rattle - How to fix with pictures

Post by Surrey Sam » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:31 pm

Going through RS4 number 2's list of niggles and the driver’s door handle rattle was one towards the top of said list. Every time I closed the door, it had an annoying metallic sounding rattle. The painted door handle cover also felt a little loose upon opening the door too.

Overall its quite a simple fix. I found a small art brush buried in the bottom of my tool box which was similar diameter to that of an ink insert for a Bic Biro pen - DO NOT USE A SCREWDRIVER. Tape up the area with some masking tape to avoid any scratches to the paintwork, you can then lift the handle up two thirds of the way and look behind the top of the cover, you'll see two metal looking clips which are attached to each other in the shape of one long metal slider.

Click on pictures to enlarge slightly:
HandleFix04.jpg
HandleFix01.jpg
HandleFix03.jpg
HandleFix01b.jpg
HandleFix02.jpg
The slider/clip moves from left - right to open and the other way to close; I inserted the handle end of the thin art brush and pushed the slider to the open position. This made the handle really loose and you can then pull the top out a couple of millimetres which allows you to move the door handle cover downwards where you can disengage the bottom from two hooks.
HandleFix06.jpg
HandleFix05.jpg
HandleFix07.jpg
Once the cover was off I just pinched the ends of the slider inwards a little to gain more purchase onto the handle cover and then re-assembled - you slide the clip right to left from the other side of the handle to secure the cover. Problem solved and all done in 5 minutes.
HandleFix09.jpg
HandleFix10.jpg
HandleFix11.jpg
Job done, hope that helps. :thumbs:

Sam
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

andyg72
4th Gear

Re: Door Handle Rattle - How to fix with pictures

Post by andyg72 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:23 pm

mine rattles cheers :biggrin3:

rob-s
3rd Gear

Post by rob-s » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:07 am

I inserted the handle end of the thin art brush and pushed the slider to the open position
I have been trying this and don't seem to get it. Does the slider move from inside this hole or by pushing the complete metal bracket?
The slider/clip moves from left - right to open and the other way to close
Mine is a LHD so does it work from right to left?

I have been looking at the "open" and "closed" position pictures and don't see any difference. Also I do not understand the arrows both
directions in the "open" picture. Please give more detailed advice:)

Neither do I understand where you adjust the handle. I see you with a small screwdriver & an arrow..

My car's door handle is really tight but when closing the drivers door it makes a slight metal sound that does irritate me.

After struggling 1 hour I had to give up before I brake something..
Daytona Grey B8.5 & Guards Red 981 / Ex.Audi RS4 B7 Sedan, Daytona Grey.

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:45 pm

rob-s wrote:
I inserted the handle end of the thin art brush and pushed the slider to the open position
I have been trying this and don't seem to get it. Does the slider move from inside this hole or by pushing the complete metal bracket?
The two parts circled move together as one metal item.
rob-s wrote:
The slider/clip moves from left-right to open and the other way to close
Mine is a LHD so does it work from right to left?

I have been looking at the "open" and "closed" position pictures and don't see any difference. Also I do not understand the arrows both
directions in the "open" picture. Please give more detailed advice :)
I believe that it's the same way for both LHD and RHD vehicles, so on a LHD drivers door you'll be starting at the oposite end to the lock cylinder. I've found a DIY fix on a USA forum which does it on a LHD car, it would be worth reading through that one as well - http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthrea ... tle-Repair
rob-s wrote:Neither do I understand where you adjust the handle. I see you with a small screwdriver & an arrow..

My car's door handle is really tight but when closing the drivers door it makes a slight metal sound that does irritate me.

After struggling 1 hour I had to give up before I brake something..
Very wise to give up, the last thing you want to do is scratch the paintwork.

When you have the handle off, you'll understand how to adjust it. I bent the metal bit inwards to gain more purchase onto the handle's hook when the slider is in the closed position.

Before adjusting, I could tap the handle heavily and it would rattle, also it was a little loose fitting. Your rattle may not be the handle cover if its all tight?
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

rob-s
3rd Gear

Post by rob-s » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:42 pm

Your rattle may not be the handle cover if its all tight?
That is what I also suspect. It does come from the handle mechanism and has a metallic sound. When closing the door and
holding the handle it is less.
Daytona Grey B8.5 & Guards Red 981 / Ex.Audi RS4 B7 Sedan, Daytona Grey.

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:38 am

rob-s wrote:
Your rattle may not be the handle cover if its all tight?
That is what I also suspect. It does come from the handle mechanism and has a metallic sound. When closing the door and
holding the handle it is less.
Might be worth studying this video to see if there's any other component you feel could be at fault with the whole handle mechanism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nanPNH112bU

geordie jay
5th Gear

Post by geordie jay » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:57 am

nice write up sam...mine has just started doing it and yes its starting to annoy me now when I shut door...on holiday next week so will have a go :thumbs:

MissRS4
Neutral

Post by MissRS4 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:13 am

Hey Sam,
Wonderfully done thank you.
Cheer
MissRS4
Cheers and beers,
Sandi
Miss RS4

2006 B7 RS4 Phantom Black sedan

MugelloR
3rd Gear

Post by MugelloR » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:16 am

Another happy customer here, many thanks Sam!!! :bowdown: :thumbs:
einer: Nogaro Blue B6 S4
zwei: Mugello Blue C5 RS6
drei: Magnetite C63 AMG
vier: Ibis White RS5
fünf: Phantom Black B7 RS4 - Currently

beaker25
1st Gear

Post by beaker25 » Fri May 15, 2015 6:49 pm

Awesome Sam,

This has been annoying me since I got the car, thought it had been a shoddy repair previously, will do this tomorrow.
56 RS4 Sprint blue saloon.

Fatneck73
4th Gear

Post by Fatneck73 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:20 pm

Will be doing this tomorrow. 😛

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:01 pm

Nice one Sam, bookmarked :thumbs:
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

12th
3rd Gear

Post by 12th » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:57 am

When Audi did one of my doors, this happened, and there is play in the door handle inside the car. When a local indy did it, it was perfect...
Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Saloon with MRC tweakery.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”