GiroDisc Vs JHM 380mm discs

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
RossDagley
Top Gear

GiroDisc Vs JHM 380mm discs

Post by RossDagley » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:55 pm

I'm looking (yet again) as front brakes as these really let the car down on repeated ring laps.

I can't afford ceramics. So... instead I'm looking for an alternative.

I've seen both Girodisc and JHM do 380mm rotors with caliper spacers to suit the larger disc. I'm hoping to hear if people have experience with either and can comment.

Girodisc: http://www.wotmotorsport.com/GiroDisc_B ... 28441.aspx
JHM: http://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalog/f ... fff89368ac

Cheers.
Believe only the man who has nothing to gain from what he says.

2017 BMW M4 Competition Pack - Mineral Grey - 530ps by bootmod3, JCWeldfab exhaust.
Previously:
Renault Megane R26 - Liquid Yellow - 275ps.
2015 Audi Exclusive RS4 B8 - Merlin Purple - JCWF Exhaust
2009 Audi RS6 C6 - Phantom Black - 730ps MRC Tuned
2008 Audi RS4 B7 - Phantom Black - 449ps MRC Tuned
2002 Peugeot 106 Gti - Mauritius blue - 430ps Home built.

denis.dasilva2
1st Gear

Re: GiroDisc Vs JHM 380mm discs

Post by denis.dasilva2 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:48 pm

I have the 380mm JHM ones actually i have they're full set front rear, for about 6/7 months no complaints so far!

davers6
3rd Gear

Post by davers6 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:54 pm

I went to order jhm discs but the shipping is horrific by the time you add customs your looking at big bucks loba/ap from unit 20 will be cheaper

HEKTOR
Trader (Expired)

Post by HEKTOR » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:40 pm

Girodisc rotors installed on my rs4

Picture of the spacer between caliper and caliper bracket

RossDagley
Top Gear

Post by RossDagley » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:13 pm

do you have a closeup but with the wheel on? They sure do look good...
Believe only the man who has nothing to gain from what he says.

2017 BMW M4 Competition Pack - Mineral Grey - 530ps by bootmod3, JCWeldfab exhaust.
Previously:
Renault Megane R26 - Liquid Yellow - 275ps.
2015 Audi Exclusive RS4 B8 - Merlin Purple - JCWF Exhaust
2009 Audi RS6 C6 - Phantom Black - 730ps MRC Tuned
2008 Audi RS4 B7 - Phantom Black - 449ps MRC Tuned
2002 Peugeot 106 Gti - Mauritius blue - 430ps Home built.

HEKTOR
Trader (Expired)

Post by HEKTOR » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:38 pm

RossDagley wrote:do you have a closeup but with the wheel on? They sure do look good...
I will take a few pictures with the wheels on tomorrow when i get the chance.

HEKTOR
Trader (Expired)

Post by HEKTOR » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:55 pm

A few pictures of these fitted to my rs4 (poor pictures i know)

leadfoot
1st Gear

Post by leadfoot » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:28 pm

Loba no longer does brakes.... I tried buying some replacement parts and received a short useless reply from them. In a second snotty reply they directed me to http://vagbremtechnic.com/

My guess is the guys building their brake kits went off on their own... and I am not sure if the attitude in their reply was intentional, or my reading of it...

S4Player
Top Gear

Post by S4Player » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:06 pm

leadfoot wrote:Loba no longer does brakes.... I tried buying some replacement parts and received a short useless reply from them. In a second snotty reply they directed me to http://vagbremtechnic.com/

My guess is the guys building their brake kits went off on their own... and I am not sure if the attitude in their reply was intentional, or my reading of it...
Sad times at LOBA seems customer service has went to the bottom of the pile since simon left. Wonder how long it will be till LOBA vanish completely
1*** hp TTE C6 rs6 saloon and the ultimate WB B5

HEKTOR
Trader (Expired)

Post by HEKTOR » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:14 pm

It is not good to hear about poor service. This is a pet hate of mine.

Loba have plenty of dealers so it might be worth dealing with one of them in future.

sar
4th Gear

Post by sar » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:20 pm

leadfoot wrote:Loba no longer does brakes.... I tried buying some replacement parts and received a short useless reply from them. In a second snotty reply they directed me to http://vagbremtechnic.com/

i didnt know loba no longer sold brakes, what parts are you after?.

i have talked at length with the two guys who put all the brake set ups for loba together, dave and richard iirc. they are vagbremtechnic.
they were seriously knowledgeable when it came to brakes they were designing and supplying brake packages for rally and le mans cars/teams.
i think dave was more designer/brains and richard owned a huge brakes supply shop that was the uk or europes biggest ap racing distributor.

for the rs4 discs dave designed the bobin set up and bells and they picked a disc from ap racings catalog (i think the discs they used were originally designed for some lemans car?, i have the ap racing part number for these if you need them).

not sure whats going on with the website its been like that for a while, they are active on facebook and still making brake set ups for all sorts of vag cars.
i think dave is active on vagoc.co.uk.
im sure if you can get in touch they will be happy to help, they were both really nice fellas.

my front loba discs and my oem rears will need replacing soon so i could do with getting in contact myself, i heard they were working on a rear brake upgrade for our cars but not heard anything about it for a bit.

i might have a phone number and email address for dave somewhere if you cant reach them, let me know if you need them.
b7rs4 phantom black, titan pack.

leadfoot
1st Gear

Post by leadfoot » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:07 pm

Thanks Sar!

I was very very happy with he brakes (posted previously how good they were)... and since I was planning to keep the car, and track it... I thought the AP disc will work out much cheaper in the long run...

I am after the bobbin and pins, that are apparently custom made... and not an "off the shelf" part from AP (LOBA told me it was an AP part recently, but I had asked about the parts previously and Simon @ LOBA said they were custom???). I also need the disc's, but being in Toronto, I thought sourcing local would be cheaper. I have the part numbers... as I was smart to ask previously.. Would also look at their rear setup too if its done.

"The pads C5 RS6 from 2005 Part Numbers are 4B3 698 151A
Rotor Part Numbers are CP4542-112/113
Bobbin Part Numbers are CP4015-101K12
Bobbin Springs are custom manufactured by us as are the bells (DB4102 part no.)"

If you can PM me with their contact details, it would be appreciated... as I am not a Facebook user... even though I have looked at their FB page and there are no contact details on it.

Rick_RS4
Cruising

Post by Rick_RS4 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:48 am

just reviving an old thread, what dealer are people getting the girodiscs from

sar
4th Gear

Post by sar » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:26 pm

Rick_RS4 wrote:just reviving an old thread, what dealer are people getting the girodiscs from
rick are you thinking girodisc for the front or rears?
if you are needing front brakes i would honestly go for the vagbremtechnic/ap racing setup. the vagbremtechnic setup is different from the standard ap racing oem replacement disc, it uses a better/lighter ap racing rotor, different hat and a custom improved bobbin setup.

last time we spoke on the phone i asked dave what he thought of girodisc (i was thinking of girodisc rears because dave hadn't finished his rs4 rear brake upgrade yet),and he said he had never heard of them.
he said he was sat in a meeting with some brake bigwigs he put me on speaker phone and asked if anyone else had heard of girodisc, there was a few "who's?" a couple of "no's". dave then asked who had heard of ap racing and everyone laughed.

like i said a few posts above dave b is the most knowledgeable person i have ever spoken to regarding brakes.
b7rs4 phantom black, titan pack.

Lukes3
4th Gear

Post by Lukes3 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:20 pm

Just a qwick feed back on vagbremtechnic, i brought a complete kit from them for my 8p s3, an the kit was bang on no proplems.
Current-saloon rs4,Full decat Xpipe miltek,cold air feed,BMC air filter, TTS supercharged, MRC stage 3 L/C F/S,hell s+s brake lines,AP racing rotors + vagbremtechnic bells, kw v3s clifford 650mk2

Gone-audi s3 8p stage2+ with loba lo400 turbo.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”