RNS-E AMI Upgrade

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Jon_J
5th Gear

RNS-E AMI Upgrade

Post by Jon_J » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:52 pm

ChrisW wrote:The new Pioneer is very close in aesthetics to an RNSE, I think by choosing the OEM setup you are losing out on so much functionality simply to keep it "factory". In my youth I was heavily into the VW scene where OEM is king, but even I cant see any outweighing advantage of an RNSE/AMI/bluetooth module setup over an £800 Pioneer or Alpine effort other than "looks".

Of course it is each to their own at the end of the day and I'm far from criticising you for your decisions, I just hate the idea of someone spending nearly double for less functionality.
I guess that’s the trade off with all of these things. There still isn’t any aftermarket unit which integrates with the DIS which is a shame. You are right when you say, you get additional functionality and also far better sound quality.

I can’t get past the OEM bit though. Maybe in time I’ll move over to non OEM but the fact I have Bluetooth, Nav, DIS, iPhone integration with the he factory setup means I am happy, albeit a little poorer lol

Same with the reverse camera, I could have got one from ChinaBay for next to nothing and soldered into existing wires with a bit of insulation tape but I prefer to have the factory fit with all correct parts and looms. Again it would have saved me a fortune.

What’s right for me isn’t right for everyone else though, and my sensible head says why pay twice as much for the same thing. Then my purist head says because it’s the right way to do it. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White
S4 B7 Phantom Black (gone but not forgotten)
A4 B7 Avant 2.7 TDI Brilliant Red
A5 Cab 3.0 TDI Phantom Black

Davidol
Neutral

Re: RNS-E AMI Upgrade

Post by Davidol » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:08 am

Alpine do a nav unit that integrates with the DIS mate but it’s £1000+

Jon_J
5th Gear

Post by Jon_J » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:15 pm

Davidol wrote:Alpine do a nav unit that integrates with the DIS mate but it’s £1000+
Do they? I’ll have a browse.

RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White
S4 B7 Phantom Black (gone but not forgotten)
A4 B7 Avant 2.7 TDI Brilliant Red
A5 Cab 3.0 TDI Phantom Black

Damianos
Neutral

Post by Damianos » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:17 pm

Hi all,

Quick question, what is the difference between an AMI unit and a AMI 2G one? I have upgraded to a 2010+ RNSE unit so which one should i get?

Thanks,

Damien

MirrorJohn
Neutral

Post by MirrorJohn » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:31 pm

Jon_J wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:00 pm
CharlieD wrote:Until i see an aftermarket unit that integrates fully with my car (e.g. shows nav info in my dash screen etc) and doesn’t make my centre console look tacky, I’m sticking with my mk2 RNS-E Image

By the way (sorry if off topic), dunno if this has been discussed before, does the mk2 rns-e support the optical parking sensor mode in the b7 rs4 without any swaps of parking modules etc? See pic below in case I’m unclear Image
I’ve just had the OEM reverse camera fitted to mine. I asked at the time and was told not without changing the sensors and module.

What car did your reverse camera come out of? What additional wiring/modules did you have to buy. This is what I want to do to mine when I fit my Mk2 RNS-E

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”