Water in boot lid.

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
beaker25
1st Gear

Water in boot lid.

Post by beaker25 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:38 pm

Evening All,

As the above suggests I have water in the boot lid of my 56 RS4 Saloon.
I just bought the car at the tail end of last year, it had always been garaged before so there was no sign of water when I looked at the car.

I did some reasearch on here and found that the rear light clusters have proved to be a common fault. I removed checked condition of foam seal, put a bead of instant gasket all the way round ( applied to car body) the opening, re-fitted, no difference.

Removed again, purchased new foam seals from Audi, cleaned all instant gasket and traces of foam seal left on light cluster, cleaned everything, fitted new foam seals, applied about 7-8mm (guessing slightly) bead of normal clear silicone to opening re-fitted. I also fitted new number plate light, which Audi suggested they have sold plenty of due to corrosion, I am not convinced it was leaking. Checked number plate screws, they seem fine and holding. Kept inside to dry for 24hrs.

Few days outside in the rain, with no driving, same result,

Removed interior boot lid trim again, got inside and closed boot and had someone spray water from a hose all over the back of the car, ie rear window, boot lid, round light clusters etc for about 15mins, could not see anything.

I am running out of ideas!!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
56 RS4 Sprint blue saloon.

lugars4
3rd Gear

Re: Water in boot lid.

Post by lugars4 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:14 pm

anyone else have this problem or solve this ?

I am getting water inside my boot lid.....

Thanks
06 - B7 RS4 Saloon - Milltek Non-Res Valved. BMC Filter.

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:50 pm

I had this when I bought my Mugello RS4. I replaced the light and all was ok. But you've replaced the gasket so very strange.
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

cherub72
2nd Gear

Post by cherub72 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:08 pm

I had the same thing in my cab, it was the seal around the centre stop light, boot lid is now showing early signs of rusting from the inside out
RS4 Cabriolet - Phantom Black with Exclusive interior

Lukes3
4th Gear

Post by Lukes3 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:10 pm

Saloon?
Do you notice this once washed the car? Or just rain?
I had this on done the same as you, turned out to be one of the number plate light bulb covers/seal an gone an was letting water in that from but mine was from jet wash i think
Current-saloon rs4,Full decat Xpipe miltek,cold air feed,BMC air filter, TTS supercharged, MRC stage 3 L/C F/S,hell s+s brake lines,AP racing rotors + vagbremtechnic bells, kw v3s clifford 650mk2

Gone-audi s3 8p stage2+ with loba lo400 turbo.

lugars4
3rd Gear

Post by lugars4 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:36 pm

yes its a saloon.

Il have to take a closer look at all the light seals.

Happens with just rain. Quite a lot of water in it, when you open it you can hear it slosh.
06 - B7 RS4 Saloon - Milltek Non-Res Valved. BMC Filter.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”