First drive in a RS4 today - a review

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
sync24
5th Gear

Post by sync24 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:45 pm

Well I popped my RS4 cherry today after viewing/driving a 2007 Mugello Blue Avant on a late 2007 plate :biggrin2: I gave the car a good going over inside & out checking body work and paint, wheels and other plastics carefully. Service history was there but I must admit I was not so impressed with the dealer. He didn't have all the paper work to hand, and gave me a wad of paper with other vehicle's history included [I expect a car like that to have ALL documentation and MOT''s given it's price/stature] and at first only said I could drive the car back to the station which was maybe a couple of miles away - I insisted that I wanted to get the car up to temp to test performance, air con and the sports mode ETC. I ended up getting maybe 10 mins in the car - 5 or which on the motorway where I got a chance to give it some beans with the sports mode on. The exhaust came to life but the seat didn't bolster but I am told by another forum member people turn this off. The interior was OK - there where a few minor niggles but the dealer said he would fix them and I didn't get a chance to properly test the other seat settings and found the bucket seats far too tight at my hips :( I am subsequently told that the seat 'width' is electrically adjustable something I was not aware of [and neither was the dealer] - overall not a great impression from someone who's had the car for sale for 3 months - I just didn't warm to him and got the impression he couldn't care less if he sold the car or not.

I must admit I was a little underwhelmed by the engine performance - I was expecting a 'hit' at 5k but It didn't seem to be there, don't get me wrong the car did pull like a train and gear selection was firm and notchy in a good way. I dropped it into third from forth and floored it and don't get me wrong it off it went with a growl but it didn't really put a smile on my face. Perhaps I am expecting too much? Overall I came away deflated and will probably put this viewing down to experience. :shock:

I've another to see on Sat [thanks to F@tBoyF@t] and I am looking forward to discussing the car , its performance and merits with an enthusiast - most of all - I need to test getting those bucket seats adjusted to my liking otherwise is gonna be an issue and getting the proper low down on my expectations for the performance / handling ETC.

:beerchug: Kev

rs4Mav
1st Gear

Re: First drive in a RS4 today - a review

Post by rs4Mav » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:21 pm

I purchased my RS4 in Feb of this year, been with Imprezas for last ten years, last one being a WR1 with only 2400 mile on the clock. At first i too was not overly impressed with the performance but trust me after you have clocked up a few mile behind the wheel it will grow on you, with the exceptional torque and the blissful exhaust note and build quality second to none. The road holding is also something only believed once driven hard, so stick with it you wont be disappointed.

TimDogg
4th Gear

Post by TimDogg » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:46 pm

Yeah, the car's performance means you'll have to be careful as you'll go into bends far too fast initially (luckily the 4wd & DRC save you, but it'll scare you). Normal aspirated vehicles pull through the rev range so don't normally FEEL as fast as turbos - the 3.0 TDi FEELS faster but it really isn't. Both seats are electronically adjustable on the sides but only the drivers is activated by the sports button (mine is deactivated - you do this through the Drivers Information System menu in the dash). The other thing you have to realise with the RS4 is that there are faster cars out there, GTR, 911 Turbo, Nobles, Exiges, but none do everything as well or as completely as the RS4.
'13 Audi A4 Allroad - White (loaded)
'06 Audi RS4 - Sprint Blue (Non-res Milltek, valved)
'04 Lotus Elise 111R (Aubergine NOT purple) - will sell in the spring http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez4KN_l7 ... SVUBYBWtEA
'56 ST220 (Sold)
'97 ST24 (Sold - loved lots)

sync24
5th Gear

Post by sync24 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:59 pm

TimDogg wrote: Both seats are electronically adjustable on the sides but only the drivers is activated by the sports button
Thanks Tim - can u confirm the electric adjustment affects the both the bottom seat width as well as the seat width round your ribs? As I said I found far too narrow and it squashed into my hips.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:16 pm

There are 2 switches on the right hand side of the drivers seat (at the base). Each one goes up or down to inflate or deflate the seat. One switch for the lower bolsters around your legs and the other switch is for the top part of the seat that grips your torso.

Madmonkee
4th Gear

Post by Madmonkee » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:17 pm

Two separate switches does this ^^ I have to agree with the performance "feel" I had an astra vxr close on 300bhp and 1350kg's, in terms of feel in acceleration the initial pull of the astra felt faster, probably due to over boost but would soon drop off, RS is the strong all throughout the range and you know you are shifting much faster when you spy the speedo. I just love it! :D

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:18 pm

The biggest problem with these is that they deflate on their own with time(leaking air). You have to strip seat down to repair which is a pain. If the car you tried was too tight it means it is probably holding the air and not leaking.
The passenger seat switches are on the left hand side of the passenger seat.

Youngben
4th Gear

Post by Youngben » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:54 pm

when i test drove one from a dealer i wasnt impressed with the performance and was expecting a lot more but didnt hold judgement i got mine and the first week wasnt really impressed but it has really come to life since! its a different breed of animal now and power is awesome all through the box! i think it may be a case of if they dont get used as they should they bog up and feel slower and less free! but trust me if you like your spirited drives your will not be disappointed! im pretty sure mine is very close to the power of factory but around 390bhp

TimDogg
4th Gear

Post by TimDogg » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:03 am

Most are 390 BHP Ben but why would that not be enough? There was a good discussion on here recently about mods vs more power vs more money and, actually, it doesn't seem to be worth spending lots of £ to get the car to 440 BHP. I'm happy with it - I mean, it's a B7 RS4 - they only made 10,000 and most of those have been destroyed, stolen or shipped to the middle east. Owning this car means that you KNOW about cars, it says it all - that's enough for me, my next car will be a 4x4 Fiat Panda which I'll roll around in safe in the knowledge that nothing can really come close to everyday practicality vs overall performance as the RS4 (C5 RS6 aside but I might as well sit outside setting light to £50 notes)

Sync24 - tell us what other cars you're considering?
'13 Audi A4 Allroad - White (loaded)
'06 Audi RS4 - Sprint Blue (Non-res Milltek, valved)
'04 Lotus Elise 111R (Aubergine NOT purple) - will sell in the spring http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez4KN_l7 ... SVUBYBWtEA
'56 ST220 (Sold)
'97 ST24 (Sold - loved lots)

sync24
5th Gear

Post by sync24 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:11 am

TimDogg wrote: Sync24 - tell us what other cars you're considering?
I'm moving from a bike (2009 Honda cbr1000rr) to a sports car - I've a A4 Sline 170 ATM and just love it and have lusted after the RS4 ever since - it just fits everything a need especially being an estate and the thought of owning a V8 does it for me rather than something with a big turbo ETC - I really have not considered anything else apart from a M3 but I want a 4x4 - The RS4 just looks the part and this is important to me. :blackrs4: The SLINE is going in the spring along with the bike as the MRS wants an A1 - this is the trade off for me to get the RS4 :bigblink:

:beerchug:

TonyHayers
5th Gear

Post by TonyHayers » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:40 am

This engine has a nice torque spread so that it doesn't disappear as the revs go up - it *wants* to rev. You just get used to driving it in a different way.

Day to day driving around the shops or whatever, like TimDogg says, a TDI might "feel" faster due to it getting a bit of torque at really low revs - but it soon runs out :)
06 Phantom Black Saloon:
DONE: Water Meth Injection, Carbon clean at 64k, CAI, Gutted Precats, Non-res x-pipe, H&R 8mm spacers, H&R springs
^ GONE :cry:

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:46 am

As has been said, you need to learn to drive it to fully exploit its power, especially if you are used to turbo cars (or CBR1000s). I love the way you can be rolling along in first at about 5mph or so and floor it and it just lurches forward ( and no wheel spin, even in the wet!); can't do that in a turbo car!

adsgreen
Cruising

Post by adsgreen » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:25 am

The bit I like about the car (apart from agreeing with whats been said above) is that threshold braking heel n toe downchanges are not only easy but the car loves it.
The throttle response on an n/a car simply can't be beaten. If you keep things up high and above 5000 rpm and can change gear properly then its a joy to drive.
The perfect balance between raw mechanical grip with driver involvement with some electronics safety nets that (well, with esp off) don't get in the way.

New cars always remind me of the Top Gear episode on the isle of man - I think BMW M6, 911 carrera and Aston V8V.
The bit when hammond is in the M6 with Jezza saying he won't beat the 0-60.
"How much power have you got?"
"501"
"no you don't"
"yes I do?"
"No you don't. you have 400. You have to go into menu x, sub menu y and select power then 500+ mode"

With the rs4 you just get in, turn key and press the button. Bang. 420ps (apparently ;-)) and suspension setup for both road and track.

Tile Diver
4th Gear

Post by Tile Diver » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:46 am

sync24 wrote:
TimDogg wrote: Sync24 - tell us what other cars you're considering?
I'm moving from a bike (2009 Honda cbr1000rr) to a sports car - :beerchug:
I've also had a few sports bike in the past and I haven't yet driven a car that gives that king of feeling, however they are 2 totally different entities but as a car it really is a joy to drive, not to mention the looks of awe on peoples faces then it drives by them, whether slow and mean or fast and loud!!!! Recognition of "They Know What it is"
B7 RS4 Avant 2007 Daytona Grey
Black Optics / Ti Pack
SS Suspension +
Sunroof
H&R Hubcentric Spacers
Milltek Res / Valved Cat Back
Stage 2 MRC Map
Cold Air Feed
Carbon Clean
Pre-Cats Gutted
447 PS

If in doubt.. Power out!!

Coaster
1st Gear

Post by Coaster » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:22 am

I would echo the sentiments of the O.P. re: underwhelming sensation of performance and salesmen with bad additude. I was looking for quite a while and most dealers were quite reluctant to let me drive the car at all, never mind a proper test drive. I suppose they get lots of test pilots who have no intention of buying the car. When I finally got to drive one my first experience was just a motorway drive where I was able to feel hard acceleration in 3rd gear and frankly I was disappointed having been driving an E46 M3. I reassured myself that the figures can't lie, the RS4 really is a 10 second 0-100 car and it must be down to sensation. It feels more like a Bentley Conti GT than an M3. I read Autocar's road test of the new RS4 and the acceleration comparison to the the C63 AMG was interesting; RS4 gets off the line and up to 30 very quickly, neck and neck to 60mph, then the AMG destroys it up to 150mph.
I have read about the RS4 being 'limited' (torque?) in 1st-3rd gears, if this limit is removed do they feel much quicker?

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”