Possible dead engine :( edit: new engine on way :)

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Rs4mar
2nd Gear

Possible dead engine :( edit: new engine on way :)

Post by Rs4mar » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:56 pm

Hi,

I'm new to this but thought I'd put a post up and hopefully get some feedback.
I was driving my rs4 last night and all of a sudden I heard a noise, then the engine died and I noticed a lot of smoke in the rear view mirror. So I managed to roll into a lay-by and parked up, got out and noticed lots of smoke coming from under the car. I popped the bonnet but couldn't see anything, so had a look under the engine and all the engine oil was on the floor :(.
Managed to have the car recovered to my local Audi dealer but not expecting to hear much from them till Wednesday/Thursday. I'm no mechanic but I'm pretty certain it's gonna be something serious, just hoping my warranty covers it. Anyone else had something similar to this happen or have any ideas what might have caused this? Would be much appreciated, thanks
Last edited by Rs4mar on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2014 rs4 riviera blue

Madmonkee
4th Gear

Possible dead engine :(

Post by Madmonkee » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:48 pm

Oil cooler pipes gone? Driver side puddle of oil?

RIV
Cruising

Re: Possible dead engine :(

Post by RIV » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:57 pm

Oil cooler Pipes gone? Driver side puddle of Oil?
+1 was thinking the same, let's hope the engines not buggerd, just had mine replaced it's an important thing to check!!!

Rs4mar
2nd Gear

Post by Rs4mar » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:08 pm

I was driving at about 60-65 when it happened and by the time I pulled over the oil was completely covered on the underside of the car and on the rear bumper, the puddle was so big it was hard to say where exactly it has come from, with it being bout 10 o'clock last nite its impossible to see anything from the top or the underneath of the car. I never knew about the oil cooler pipes until today so ill be checking them out ASAP, I'm hoping that the engine cutting out when it happened may have saved it but more realistically it could've seized from the lack of oil. My fingers are tightly crossed for a positive outcome.
2014 rs4 riviera blue

adsgreen
Cruising

Post by adsgreen » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:20 pm

smoke likely to be the oil hitting hot engine parts - quite lucky not to have a fire.
does sound like oil pipes and should be obvious once the undertray and bumper is off.

Did you not get any oil pressure warning light or oil level warning?

What we really need is a couple of valves that can shut if the pressure on the inlet and outlet cooler pipes is different (within a tolerance) and then isolate the cooler.

Or a slightly less <beep> cooler design.

Rs4mar
2nd Gear

Post by Rs4mar » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:27 pm

I had no warning of it at all just a noise like something fell off and the engine cutting out straight away. There was so much smoke I actually thought it was on fire but yes very lucky it wasn't. I checked the oil level 2 days ago and it was about 3 quarters and it was serviced about 3000 miles ago so I know the engine has been running good. The thing I don't understand is the engine cutting out and won't even 'turn over' now? Is this something the ecu would do?
2014 rs4 riviera blue

Madmonkee
4th Gear

Post by Madmonkee » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:33 pm

I would like to think as soon as you had pressure loss the ecu shut down the engine to ensure no terminal damage can be caused. I don't think an engine will seize as soon as its oil source gets depleted, it "should" continue to run for quite some time.

Madmonkee
4th Gear

Post by Madmonkee » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:34 pm

Not advised to run like this of course ;)

Rs4mar
2nd Gear

Post by Rs4mar » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:41 pm

Thx for all your advice, I'm hoping to hear from Audi on Wednesday with some news so I will keep u all updated.
2014 rs4 riviera blue

adsgreen
Cruising

Post by adsgreen » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:58 pm

Madmonkee wrote:I would like to think as soon as you had pressure loss the ecu shut down the engine to ensure no terminal damage can be caused. I don't think an engine will seize as soon as its oil source gets depleted, it "should" continue to run for quite some time.
very true.
You find that the bearings generally fail first and you get a very noticable knocking noise.
Think back to when Clarkson was driving a Masserati Merak and how it sounded like a bag of nails before it grenaded.

On the flip side, I've never seen a car engine auto shut down due to loss of oil pressure based on a sensor.

Just done some googling and yes, there are some makes and model that shut down the fuel pump in the event of no oil (guess is that no oil could be an accident).

Rs4mar
2nd Gear

Post by Rs4mar » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:04 pm

image.jpg
This is before the oil issues
2014 rs4 riviera blue

Rs4mar
2nd Gear

Post by Rs4mar » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:17 pm

image.jpg
And another one
2014 rs4 riviera blue

cherub72
2nd Gear

Post by cherub72 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:20 pm

Last time I had my car serviced by the stealers they said there was a recall notice on the oil pipes because of the way they were routed and did a load of work on them for free. If you've just had a service they should have picked up on that if it applied to your car. I'd be having a few words with them
RS4 Cabriolet - Phantom Black with Exclusive interior

RIV
Cruising

Post by RIV » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:51 pm

Thinking back to when my car had this so called recall,all they did was cable tie the pipes away from each other, this was done to mine nearly 4 years ago

adsgreen
Cruising

Post by adsgreen » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:59 pm

cherub72 wrote:Last time I had my car serviced by the stealers they said there was a recall notice on the oil pipes because of the way they were routed and did a load of work on them for free. If you've just had a service they should have picked up on that if it applied to your car. I'd be having a few words with them

Hahahahahahah.
The tsb says 'cable tie out of the way to prevent rubbing'

"Loads of work"

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”