The latest on the ignition conversion

2.2 I5 20v turbo - 230bhp
4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 326bhp
AndyH-R6S
1st Gear

The latest on the ignition conversion

Post by AndyH-R6S » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:17 pm

The latest on the ignition conversion:

I received the new spark plug leads from ‘034 Motorsport’ and all the equipment fitted OK

I have taken the car for a blast or three, up the motorway and there is quite a difference, even just by changing the ignition system. There is no miss-firing at all, at any engine speed, unlike the mild miss-fire the car had previously. I would even say that the car is more responsive as well. I put all the new plug leads in some heat resistant tubing, to protect them from the heat in the camshaft cover, etc.

So, no more coil pack worries, ignition now OK and the coil packs are running almost cold compared with the previous system. A full write up will be available in the New Year. If any body is interested, I have one spare coil mounting bracket available to enable another car to be converted. Laser cut ‘3mm’ Stainless Steel and it looks superb, just get the rest of the kit from ‘034 Motorsport’. (Please note though, the plug lead lengths are different than the ones supplied for a ‘USA’ car. I have all the measurements, so if you are interested send me an email.)

Have a nice Christmas,

Andy H.
Attachments
DSCN1043.JPG
DSCN1043.JPG (127.58 KiB) Viewed 7897 times

AndyH-R6S
1st Gear

Metal Removal

Post by AndyH-R6S » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:03 pm

I finished off removing alloy from the cam and ignition cover and it now looks quite smart. The protective covering to the leads is quite bulky but the metal I removed from both items has allowed a nice snug fit, etc. Only need to replace some small clips when the local Audi dealer opens next week. Apart from having the main cam cover powder coated silver (or maybe Red?) in Jan, I am looking at getting hold of some ‘S6 Plus’ front discs and callipers as they are slightly bigger than the original kit and I will have the discs G88 Tar-Ox’ed and probably fitting the increased sized front anti roll bar as well from the ‘S6 Plus’. ((S6+ 323*30 opposed to S6 314*30) only for a good price though) Apart from the obvious increase in size of the discs the calliper is slightly bigger. I will see how I go with this one though.

The yellow rings on the ignition cover are where I removed the alloy spigots, lugs and earth bond, to stop the new leads being damaged.

The new ignition module kit is fitted on to the bulkhead. (Opposite side to the brake reservoir, etc)

More pictures on demand.
Attachments
Audi Eng Fin 1.JPG
Audi Eng Fin 1.JPG (86.6 KiB) Viewed 7888 times
Audi Cam Cov 6.jpg
Audi Cam Cov 6.jpg (61.65 KiB) Viewed 7888 times
Audi Cam Cov 5.jpg
Audi Cam Cov 5.jpg (67.04 KiB) Viewed 7888 times

Return to “S6 / S6 Plus”