Audi UR S4 & S6 Ignition Conversion.

2.2 I5 20v turbo - 230bhp
4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 326bhp
AndyH-R6S
1st Gear

Post by AndyH-R6S » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:00 am

It’s been a few months now, since I started the conversion due to being away because of my job but the project is nearing completion. (End of November to middle of December max, I hope)

I have attached a few pictures to let you all know what potentially the final solution too getting rid of the bulk head mounted POS amplifiers (The bracket with the two black Bosch amplifiers) and the spark plug cover mounted coil packs will look like.

There are only a few problems with the installation and what you find when you take parts to bits. With all cars that are 10 years old, you will find issues. The main one on my car is the cracking vacuum hoses, flanged brake line minor leak and some other very minor issues.

Installation issues; where do you fit the coils and mounting bracket? Well since my car is a ‘UK’ (Right Hand Drive) the only area available and it’s a tight fit, is where the originally mounted ‘POS’ amplifier bracket is mounted on the bulkhead. I spent two days getting this bracket right and the final ‘production’ item is perfect. (3mm bent Stainless Steel) The new amplifier/coil packs sit in this new bracket and the whole lot is mounted directly to the bulkhead. I had to drill three ‘M 6.5 mm’ holes in the bulkhead to put some extra fixings in, as there are only two bulkhead studs left over from removing the old ‘POS’ bracket and the bracket/amplifier combination weigh in, just under ‘3kg’ so it needs to be fixed correctly. (Used Stainless Steel fixings and Waxoyled the interface joint before securing together) The bracket clears all but one pipe/hose and this can easily bent out of the way. I will be fitting a longer Goodyear fuel hose to get it looking right.

Obviously there are no coil mounted amplifiers fitted now, so replacement plug leads are needed and these should turn up in a weeks time of so. The control harness sits below the new bracket in the space I made and every fixing that has the potential to interfere anything will be fitted with dome head nuts and the new control harness should be here at the same time as the spark plug leads.

The only bit I will not be fitting back is the plastic cover that is fitted to the bulkhead, as it will now not fit but I will make a new stainless steel item in the future.

If you have any questions, please ask and I will try to help but it will all be covered as I go along. I will up-date the web page as I get further into the conversion.

All the best,

Andyh-R6S.
Attachments
Audi Amp 45.JPG
Audi Amp 45.JPG (148.73 KiB) Viewed 8244 times
Audi Amp 43.JPG
Audi Amp 43.JPG (128.88 KiB) Viewed 8244 times
Audi Amp 41.JPG
Audi Amp 41.JPG (130.1 KiB) Viewed 8244 times

AndyH-R6S
1st Gear

Post by AndyH-R6S » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:02 am

More pictures.
Attachments
Audi Amp 49.JPG
Audi Amp 49.JPG (109.08 KiB) Viewed 8242 times
Audi Amp 46.JPG
Audi Amp 46.JPG (158.67 KiB) Viewed 8242 times

AndyH-R6S
1st Gear

Post by AndyH-R6S » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:28 pm

I had the car running for the first time in a few months today, with all the kit sat on top of the engine, as I am waiting for lengthened spark plug leads to arrive from ‘034 Motorsport’ in America. The engine kicked into life first time and runs very smoothly and there basically is no heat generated from the ignition amplifiers, unlike when they were in the spark plug cover. I have tided up all the hoses, cables and it looks very neat indeed, it looks just as good if not better than when it came from Audi.

Return to “S6 / S6 Plus”