Oil spraying from filler cap!!!

1.8 I4 20v turbo - 207bhp
1.8 I4 20v turbo - 222bhp
shineydave
Cruising

RE: Oil spraying from filler cap!!!

Post by shineydave » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:58 pm

i'm no expert but from what i remember shouldn't the exhaust valves be light brown colour? they look very oily, correct me if i'm wrong
Dave

"if that's the Turbo Fairy knocking tell her i'm not in"

http://www.ukchat.com/home/setnick.asp?room=RS2346

BlackS3
2nd Gear

Post by BlackS3 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:55 am

Yes was one of the first things we noticed, a lot of oil inside engine! Goes someway towards explaining the high oil consumption. Spoke to Audi customer services, very nice sounding lady, let me know that even if I proved the fault was from manufacture Audi would still do everything to avoid paying a penny towards repair. At least I'm clear on their position.

BlackS3
2nd Gear

Post by BlackS3 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:25 am

I'm thinking of rebuilding with a new short engine (bottom end). I don't want to get a 2nd hand engine and end up with possibly the same problems again. The car is reasonably low mileage for it's age so I think a new engine would help keep it's value better. So I'm now looking at where to have the work done local to me and how to have it rebuilt. I'm pretty sure turbo will need work, I've heard about changing the internals for better spec (K16)?? People have said fix it and sell it but I feel if I'm going to be spending so much on it I might as well keep it for a while. The missus wants to go back to Bmw and i haven't got much of an argument at moment.

DuncS3
Top Gear

Post by DuncS3 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:29 am

Where are you based?

JBS Autodesigns in Chesterfield or Jabba in Peterborough are your best bet for building engines - I would talk to Jabba about IHI tubo

Dunc

BlackS3
2nd Gear

Post by BlackS3 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:14 am

My dad is having an adjustable boost controller fitted to his Jabba'd Octavia 4x4 there now. Didn't realise but he has taken my head up there which Jabba are going to sort. May only need the odd valve replaced which is a bonus. They reckon the turbo should be ok looking at the head. If all goes well I might have it towed up for them to look after. They are thinking it's possibly the MAF that has caused the detting on cyl 3. Either way the car will have to be running again to fully diagnose problem.

DuncS3
Top Gear

Post by DuncS3 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:35 am

Jabba have a great repuatation for the 1.8T lump - wont go wrong with them - stick some stronger valves in there, 2.0L conversion - new conrods and pistons with IHI - 350-400bhp

Dunc

DavidT
Cruising

Post by DavidT » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:41 am

It must have run very hot. The piston damage explains the high oil consumption. I wonder if there is an issue with that injector too.

I feel for you as I know what unexpected, expensive car repair bills feel like.

Best of luck with it.

DuncS3
Top Gear

Post by DuncS3 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:54 am

Piston damage as in oil getting space to move all over the place or getting on top of the piston and getting burnt?

Dunc

DavidT
Cruising

Re: RE: Oil spraying from filler cap!!!

Post by DavidT » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:03 pm

DuncS3 wrote:Piston damage as in oil getting space to move all over the place or getting on top of the piston and getting burnt?

Dunc
Exactly, oil getting past damaged piston rings into the combustion chamber and being burned.

Lean (too little fuel in the mix) = hot running = ultimately damage to pistons, valves and plugs.

BlackS3
2nd Gear

RE: Re: RE: Oil spraying from filler cap!!!

Post by BlackS3 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:37 pm

I'm in the Cambridge area so not too far from most places. It would be nice if Jabba do the work. They like my dad's octavia 4x4, with just a remap they made 232bhp 257lbft out of a standard 150bhp 1.8t 03 reg. It's also getting a new remap they've been working on to smooth out spiking better. I can only imagine the wonders they could work on an S3

BlackS3
2nd Gear

Post by BlackS3 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:11 am

Jabba had a look at photos of engine and believe that the bore on cyl 3 is ok. From what they can see the piston being a softer metal has melted and been plazma welded to cylinder. When I got home last night I tried scraping the bore with a screw driver and bits of metal came off suggesting the bore should be ok. This as you can imagine is great news as I won't need a complete bottom end now. I will still need new pistons but by the look of it should get away without needing to bore out cylinders. Jabba can then run the car on their rolling road to find out what caused the problem once it's up and running again. I'm saving desperately now, will get the cam belt, tensioner and water pump done at the same time and hopefully it will come away with a jabba custom remap to top it all off.

kivo
Neutral

Post by kivo » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:24 pm

I have had the same problem last night on highway road while I was driving with 220 km/h

I just got it towed to local garage and they will check it tomorrow , I hope there wont be too much expense :(

kivo
Neutral

Post by kivo » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:30 pm

today my local mechanic checked the engine. And we have seen that first piston has melted and no damage occured to the others.
We have replaced that with new piston and I will get my car back tomorrow :)

JaseS3
1st Gear

Post by JaseS3 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:44 pm

was there a definite answer for what happened? i have a S38l 225 with 70k on the clock. i have a wee bit of oil around the oil fiiller cap but my local chap said its where the last guy couldn't fill it properly......

suggestions on a postcard......
Audi S3 8L 2002
Audi A4 Avant 1.9 Quattro Sport 2004

david7m
Top Gear

Post by david7m » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:20 pm

Jase, clean it off with a rag (you can take plastic engine cover and the plastic collar into the engine) and monitor every week or so. With 70k, it should be fine though. Mine is on almost 100k and its as strong as ever!

Dave
APR 270bhp S3, Mixer K6 750

Cheap performance tip - lie the rear seats flat Image

Return to “S3 (Typ 8L) 1999-2003”