Newbie about to buy an S4 Avant

2.2 I5 20v turbo - 230bhp
4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 280bhp
coco
Neutral

Newbie about to buy an S4 Avant

Post by coco » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:43 pm

Hi everyone, am new to this site and am possibly buying a 1993 S4 Avant in the next few days.

Can folks give me an idea as to how much i should be expecting to pay, its on a K plate, done 170k miles, 5 months mot left on it, new shockers and tyres all round, starts and drives well and only real problems are fuel gauge and oil temp gauge not working.

Paintwork is slightly dull and should hopefully polish up, leather interior is in good condition also. Engine and box seem fine and drives without any real concerns. Prices seem to vary quite a bit for these cars and thought this would be the place for some advice as to a rough guidline on how much i should be paying.

Also is there any problems i should be on the look out for with these models ??

Cheers folks and any info / help will be greatly received. :wink:

AndyH-R6S
1st Gear

Post by AndyH-R6S » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:44 am

Hi,

I would replace all the boost hoses (*3 Samco) unless you know they are new and potentially replace all the vacuum hoses and clamps as well. (I speak with recent knowledge in this area!!) Check for oil leaks, etc and see if there are any miss-fires under full and/or partial engine load. (Audi ignition kit very dear to replace. Changed mine to external coils from ‘034 Motorsport’, far better and runs cool) Check to make sure all gauges work correctly and look at boost level to see if the car has been modified. Don’t touch anything that smokes unless it’s cheap. (Very cheap) Soon as you get it, change all plugs, filters, oil (Mobil 1, etc) and find out when it had its cam belt changed. While you have the plug cover off to change the plugs, look at all the coil wires and check for no cracks in the insulation, especially where the cables go into the coils and at the point they come out of the cover. All the extender plugs from the coils should show signs of damaged. Before removing the plugs, check to see if the area around the plug looks wet with oil. If so, when removing the plug, if it moves easily, then potentially the plug was not tightened down correctly when installed. (Re-torque the plugs after a couple of hundred miles then every ‘2500 miles’) If plug was ‘tight’ to move, then get a new cam cover gasket fitted. Look for uneven tyre wear, if it’s got it, get it aligned.

Have fun, as these cars are great.

Regards,

Andy H.

quattrokid1
Top Gear

Post by quattrokid1 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:11 pm

hi coco,

welcome to the forum, nice to have another S4 (potential owner) aboard... it get quiet on the S4 areas of this forum!!

Anyway I sold my S4 last year with 200000 miles on it to a fellow quattroforum member, he replaced the oil every 3k miles, I have an auto box so he changed the gearbox oil as well, changed the hoses to Samco, recharged the aircon, replaced the trackrod ends as mine had siezed, changed the rev counter because mine developed a tear in it, and a few dash bulbs as well.He also changed the wheels to the S6 Plus version which didnt come to the UK market so I have 5 spare Avus rims going if your interested as well

If your interested there is an A6 like our dash boards in my local breakers, perhaps these could be of use to you?

Where are you anyway? if you need opther parts contact All Audi in Bristol who usually have a selection of S4/6 cars in for breaking/ salvage.
Oh I have bought back my UrS4 because I missed it sooooo much. Its a great car.
Misano red B5 RS4 710 D/V's SERVICED BY EL GRIZZMO:).... Wife's !!
Tornado red WR quattro :):)
UrS4 saloon auto:) resurected by Unit20
Audi S3 8L Imola yellow

Audi B6 S4 Cabrio SOLD :( :(
Audi 100 2.2E SOLD
Audi 80 cabrio 2.6 V6 (SOLD)
Audi 90 quattro SOLD

coco
Neutral

Post by coco » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:35 am

quattrokid1 wrote:hi coco,

welcome to the forum, nice to have another S4 (potential owner) aboard... it get quiet on the S4 areas of this forum!!

Anyway I sold my S4 last year with 200000 miles on it to a fellow quattroforum member, he replaced the oil every 3k miles, I have an auto box so he changed the gearbox oil as well, changed the hoses to Samco, recharged the aircon, replaced the trackrod ends as mine had siezed, changed the rev counter because mine developed a tear in it, and a few dash bulbs as well.He also changed the wheels to the S6 Plus version which didnt come to the UK market so I have 5 spare Avus rims going if your interested as well

If your interested there is an A6 like our dash boards in my local breakers, perhaps these could be of use to you?

Where are you anyway? if you need opther parts contact All Audi in Bristol who usually have a selection of S4/6 cars in for breaking/ salvage.
Oh I have bought back my UrS4 because I missed it sooooo much. Its a great car.

Hi mate, am a fellow Scot like yourself and am from Poolewe way up in the Highlands !!!
Bought the car yesterday and am collecting it tomorrow so looking forward to getting it home and seeing exactly what its like, bought it from a local guy i know and i have mot'd it for the past couple of years so have a fair idea what its like and it was that cheap i would have been crazy to miss out on it !!! Thats why i was wondering what kind of money these things go for ????

Cheers for the welcome and info guys. :wink:
I left her with a face like a painters radio.......

coco
Neutral

Post by coco » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:57 pm

Have taken the car back in part exchange on another car i had and unfortunately am having to sell it again as my wife is not too keen on it and much prefers the newer A4 she has !!!!

Thought i might try it on Ebay and see how much it makes, any idea how much it might go for people ???

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=017
I left her with a face like a painters radio.......

quattrokid1
Top Gear

Post by quattrokid1 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:44 pm

your kidding us??? have it a day then sell it again!!!!

referee!!

pity as these are great cars when you find a nice example. For what you paid for it you may as well have kept it for those " 20v'er" moments. I sold mine last year for 1400 quid, but mine has 200k miles on it, cant give them away these days unless its for a 20v engine conversion in Ur quattros sad as it is to say!!
Misano red B5 RS4 710 D/V's SERVICED BY EL GRIZZMO:).... Wife's !!
Tornado red WR quattro :):)
UrS4 saloon auto:) resurected by Unit20
Audi S3 8L Imola yellow

Audi B6 S4 Cabrio SOLD :( :(
Audi 100 2.2E SOLD
Audi 80 cabrio 2.6 V6 (SOLD)
Audi 90 quattro SOLD

Return to “S4 2.2 / S4 4.2”