B7 S4 higher at front?

4.2 V8 40v Naturally Aspirated - 339bhp
TJS
Neutral

B7 S4 higher at front?

Post by TJS » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:41 am

Hi all I've just bought a late 2006 B7 S4 Avant. I have a quick question as its really bugging me. Is it normal that the front of the car appears higher than the rear of the car? I have measured the gap between the top of the tyre and the centre of the wheel arch and it's higher at the front. I measured the distance from the (level) floor to the top of the wheel arch, the front and rear sits equally left to right but the front was approximately 15mm higher.

The car is on standard shocks and springs.

It's the gap at the that's most obvious to me.

I have tried to find info on this but there's nothing conclusive, I've seen some say it's to bring the front splitter higher and its allows for turning at the front? Or to do with arch design?

I also looked at a few on auto trader and they seems the same but it's hard to know if they are sitting level.

I will try and get an image up later, hopefully I'm worrying about nothing.

Any knowable advice greatly appreciated.

TobyRS4
2nd Gear

Re: B7 S4 higher at front?

Post by TobyRS4 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:55 am

Iv had a B7 S4 previously and mine sat exactly the same, arch gap was around 10-15mm higher on the front than the rear, seems to be a standard set up id have thought to allow for the travel on the front suspension with a heavy V8 sat almost on top of the axle.

I didn't ever check mine to see if the vehicle was level as i did the seem thing and looked around and it seemed normal.

Worth though for piece of mind having the rear springs checked just to ensure you don't have any damaged springs or compression causing sag.
Sprint Blue B7 RS4 - Black/Titanium optics, Anthracite OEM 19's, De-resonated OEM Exhaust, TTRS FBSW, MRC Stage 2 De-flapped manifold, Full Carbon Clean, MRC Stage 2 Re-map, 431.5 BHP...... must...not...spend....more...

cobraBLACK
3rd Gear

Post by cobraBLACK » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:54 pm

Yeah, that's right. I put B5 spring perches on mine to lower the front.

I had to replace the rear dampers at the same time and that seems to have lifted the back so I might have to lower the back a little too.

Audi S4 Avant (B6, 2004) in Goodwood Green.

TJS
Neutral

Post by TJS » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:44 pm

Thanks for the info, I don't think there are any issues with the rear shocks, there are no nasty noises and one of the (rear) springs was replaced less than 20k ago.

Here's a few images, sorry about the poor lighting, and the general dirt - its getting a full exterior valet once I've finished inside.

its sitting on fairly flat ground here

Side

Font

Rear

So normal then?

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:26 am

Koni yellow adjustable dampers and H&R springs are c.£550 for the B6/7 S4 and will allow you to set the ride where you want it. They'll also firm up the ride which is well needed. I'd strongly recommend upgrading your anti roll bars too (H&R 32mm front (I think), 24mm rear. The car will handly brilliantly. Not that you asked fo,r thT. :biggrin3:

ASC
3rd Gear

Post by ASC » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:44 pm

That does look a bit high at the front tbh. This is my old S4 below, sorry it's not the best photo. First pic is just after I bought it, totally standard OEM springs/shocks. The 2nd pic is lowered on H&R Sport springs (25mm drop).

Current - 07 Sprint Blue RS4 Avant Black optics / Buckets / FBSW / MRC Stage 2 / De flapped Manifold / CAF / BMC filter / Decat / Non Res Miltek / Bilstein B16's / Tarox discs, pads and lines / H&R ARBs / 19x9.5 Ispiri ISR1 wheels / MPSS tyres / DTM carbon splitter
Previous - 06 Sprint Blue B7 S4 Avant JHM 91 tune / 2.5" Custom Cat-less DP's / Miltek Non Res Cat back / BMC filter / H&R springs / 19" Fox MS007 wheels/Good Year F1's / EBC TG discs / Yellow stuff pads

TJS
Neutral

Post by TJS » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:36 pm

ASC wrote:That does look a bit high at the front tbh. This is my old S4 below, sorry it's not the best photo. First pic is just after I bought it, totally standard OEM springs/shocks. The 2nd pic is lowered on H&R Sport springs (25mm drop).

Those wheels totally transform the look of the car, what are they?

TJS
Neutral

Post by TJS » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:45 pm

I a bit of online digging and found these

Both B7s and seem the same?

ASC
3rd Gear

Post by ASC » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:54 pm

Yeah I loved those wheels, I'm actually looking at a similar style for my RS. They were Fox MS007 - 19x8.5 ET35.

Re the gaps, it's hard to tell from those pics. Is it possible to take a side on shot? Similar to the angle I posted?
Current - 07 Sprint Blue RS4 Avant Black optics / Buckets / FBSW / MRC Stage 2 / De flapped Manifold / CAF / BMC filter / Decat / Non Res Miltek / Bilstein B16's / Tarox discs, pads and lines / H&R ARBs / 19x9.5 Ispiri ISR1 wheels / MPSS tyres / DTM carbon splitter
Previous - 06 Sprint Blue B7 S4 Avant JHM 91 tune / 2.5" Custom Cat-less DP's / Miltek Non Res Cat back / BMC filter / H&R springs / 19" Fox MS007 wheels/Good Year F1's / EBC TG discs / Yellow stuff pads

TJS
Neutral

Post by TJS » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:30 pm

So I ended up needing a battery over the bank holiday and my local Audi dealer had one on the shelf so I went over and collected it (nightmare to fit, but that's another story). While I was there they got the car up and checked all the shocks and springs heights and confirmed all was as it should be. All gen Audi and all correct springs and heights. To be fair I had looked myself but it was good to have it confined by Audi themselves and FOC, bargain!

TobyRS4
2nd Gear

Post by TobyRS4 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:44 am

A work colleague of mine has just dropped a set of 20mm springs onto his, and despite the inherent larger gap on stock springs after the new springs (cant remember make) car sits if anything a touch nose down so im guessing longer travel on factory springs front to back, worth doing id say.
Sprint Blue B7 RS4 - Black/Titanium optics, Anthracite OEM 19's, De-resonated OEM Exhaust, TTRS FBSW, MRC Stage 2 De-flapped manifold, Full Carbon Clean, MRC Stage 2 Re-map, 431.5 BHP...... must...not...spend....more...

vr6 lee
Neutral

Post by vr6 lee » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:14 am

TJS wrote:
ASC wrote:That does look a bit high at the front tbh. This is my old S4 below, sorry it's not the best photo. First pic is just after I bought it, totally standard OEM springs/shocks. The 2nd pic is lowered on H&R Sport springs (25mm drop).

Those wheels totally transform the look of the car, what are they?
Car looks amazing
Lee
Corrado VR6 Storm
BMW 335d xdrive
On lookout for S4 B6 or RS4 B5

Return to “S4 (B6 Type 8E/8H) 2003-2005 / (B7 Typ 8E/8H) 2005-2009”