Annoying non-start issue

2.7 V6 30v biturbo - 251bhp
2.7 V6 30v biturbo - 261bhp
Tarmageddon
Neutral

Annoying non-start issue

Post by Tarmageddon » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:03 pm

Hey there,

I've got a problem with the S4, and wondered if anyone had seen (and hopefully fixed) it before?

Vehicle is a 2001 Avant with some modifications, none of which I think will be affecting this.

I went to Euro Car Parts the other day and didn't lock the car because my hands were full. When I got back in I turned the key but there was literally nothing from the starter. Everything else flashed up ok, the dash lights, radio, fan etc but the starter did nothing. No "click" like you get with a low battery or a duff starter, no cranking, nothing at all.

I figured it was something to do with the car having been unlocked... a security system maybe... I locked the car, unlocked it again, opened and closed the door and tried again and it worked straight away.

Drove into town to another Shop, this time I locked the car, came back to it and got the same problem. This time no amount of locking, unlocking or opening and closing doors would change things.

One thing I did figure out is that it definitely knows the key is going round to the "start" position because if I turned the headlights on they come on at position "2" and went off when I pushed the key round to start (as they should)

Returned to the car the next day (yes I know :x ) and tried again. The first 10 or so attempts yielded nothing and then it started up like nothing happened.

I drove it straight home and put it on the drive, I was hoping it would fail again so that when I fix it I know that I've fixed it, but now the bloody thing is starting every time. I daren't take it out in case it fails again, but even if I "do stuff" I won't know whether I've fixed it or not.

I've been told to check the connections on the starting circuit, but I thought I'd also ask on here just in case you can give me a head-start at fixing it.

Many thanks in anticipation

Nobby
Top Gear

Re: Annoying non-start issue

Post by Nobby » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:55 pm

Check the battery connections (nothing loose) and the earth straps. If it was immobiliser it would probably crank over and but not start. Is the ignition barrel worn or anything?
Daytona RS6 Avant
Rule #36 - At least one gear shall be dropped for every tunnel travelled

** NOW AVAILABLE ** C5 RS6 Cambelt Tool kit rental (also fits other models 3.7/4.2 V8 engines)

Return to “S4 (B5 Typ 8D) 1997-2002”