New member- your honest views

2.7 V6 30v biturbo - 251bhp
2.7 V6 30v biturbo - 261bhp
Royce
Neutral

New member- your honest views

Post by Royce » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:38 pm

Hello all,

Currently breaking my 360bhp 4wd mk4 golf, it was brilliant while it worked however reliability was beyond ridiculous! Gave it a fresh rebuild costing around £2000. Fired it up and its smoking like mad, compression test says theres fluid going into cylinder 4. I took this as the final straw and im now stripping it as of this weekend.

As crap as that is, it has now given me the oppurtunity to look elsewhere in the vag world for a fast car. This is where i find the audi b5 s4. Quite understated, quite rare at car shows but yet fast and sound a whole lot better than any 1.8t 4 cylinder haha.

Im going to view a couple of s4's on sunday and whilst ive read page after page about there reliabilty issues im still very nervous about finding the "right" car. I am confident with the usual checks like fluid levels and worn bushes, you know the generic parts to look out for. What id like to ask, are there any little tricks i can do to really spot a dog for example, andengine can look as clean as anything but internally be shagged to hell.

One car im looking at has 170,000 miles on and looks mint but its still on original k03s, will it be a case of buying it then preparing to replace turbos soon or it will be fine if it is as mint as it looks?

Maybe im so scarred from the reliability my golf gave me that anything turbo is now unreliable lol

Are they really as bad as there made out to be or is it just internet trolls :FIREdevil:

Royce
Neutral

Re: New member- your honest views

Post by Royce » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:40 pm

Thought id update this for others reference.

I bought a different s4 in the end, the mileage put me off. I went for a 100k model, really clean interior for its age.

So far its been spot on engine related, ive replaced a wheel bearing, cv boot, front brakes.

Also had a custom 3" exhaust made for it, coilovers on and sprayed the wheels.

For those in doubt idsay to just trust your instincts, if it feels right then go for it :biggrin3:

Turbo_T
Neutral

Re: New member- your honest views

Post by Turbo_T » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:54 pm

Hi mate i see your in or near southend from the photo :) i just got my S4 last week and work and live in sunny southend will keep a look out for yours

Tony

Return to “S4 (B5 Typ 8D) 1997-2002”