Protection Film

Everything you need to know about cleaning products and general car care
nf2029
Neutral

Protection Film

Post by nf2029 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:16 pm

I recently picked up an B8 RS4 and whilst having it cleaned today I noticed as I walked back over that the windscreen looked filthy and as if it had loads of tiny chips in it. Upon closer inspection it has some sort of protection film on it, which is looking horrible but has obviously done an amazing job in protecting the windscreen for 3 years. I also was about to go out and buy some of that headlamp cleaning stuff as always thought they looked dull but can now see that they have this film on it as well. When I picked up the car I saw the front and 1/3 of bonnet + wings had PPF on it as there is a clear line on them but now I have noticed it is on the headlamps, windscreen and wingmirrors! In my opinion it is making the car look old.

What would be best way of removing this? Mainly off of windscreen and mirrors? Or should I invest and have it all redone? If so has anyone got any recommendations of where to get done? I am based in West London.

Cheers,

N

HYFR
Cruising

Re: Protection Film

Post by HYFR » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:35 pm

get it removed and fresh film reapplied - going to be a few hundred quid

if it wasn't there, you would be looking at a few grand paint job

SimonS4MTM
Top Gear

Post by SimonS4MTM » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:39 pm

If your car cleaner could not inform you it was there, it is probably best to keep some film as they are likely to cause damage to unprotected paint.
| RS4 - B7 | Phantom Black | Seit 2017 |
| S4 - B5 | Ebony Black | Seit 2002 |

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:37 am

Can't comment on the film, but when you say you were having the car cleaned - I hope that wasn't a normal hand wash!

Those places will ruin your car over time.

Proper detailer or do it yourself at home using 2 bucket method IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

nf2029
Neutral

Post by nf2029 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:44 am

It was a normal hand wash I am afraid. I usually get it done at Posh Wash in London where they do it properly but it was filthy and I didn't have a chance to get to town. Living in London with no hose access or anything it is very difficult to do yourself. I have emailed the guys http://www.elitedetailing.co.uk to see if they can help. I will then take it to get cleaned there on a regular basis. The more I think about it I think the owner must have tracked it, hence the PPF as there are so many chip marks on the windscreen film now I have looked closely.

Sammyb349
3rd Gear

Post by Sammyb349 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:39 pm

Where are you in west London?

Honestly I would not use elite detailing /liquid car care. I got mine done there when I first got it. I paid up for the top clean and was left very disappointed. There was a lot more expensive cars getting done and mine had streaks and the grill had been forgotten (costing £150). The cars are washed in a garage with no natural light and there are 150+ vloggers running around trying to take clips of P1s etc.

I ended up going onto the detailers accredited site (http://www.pro-valets.co.uk/) and found someone on there. Have been very very happy. Now get the car cleaned once a month for £40 where the guys is there for a good 3 hrs getting it looking gorgeous. Pics and link in my detailing thread.
Current:
- Audi B8 RS4 - Panther Black
- VW High Up! TSI - Red with Black Roof
Previous:
- BMW R56 Mini JCW - Black with Red Roof
- Peugeot 306 1.6 GLX - British Racing Green
- Ford Fiesta 1.1 Popular Plus - Sky Blue

nf2029
Neutral

Post by nf2029 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:56 am

Hi Sammy,

Thanks for the feedback. I am in Brentford. To be fair from the quote that I have received from Elite I won't be doing it. They have quoted £895 + VAT and want the car for 3 days. I have had better quotes. Thank you for the link, I will check it out. Who do you use?

Sammyb349
3rd Gear

Post by Sammyb349 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:51 pm

I use David @ Solo Vehicle Valeting. He machine polished and applied gtechniq for half what elite detailing wanted to clay the car (I'm joking but he was very reasonable) he came back twice to apply the exo finish and spent a full day polishing getting the car looking fantastic.
He lives in Kent so has to travel a fair bit.
There was a guy at Imperial Wharf who I was impressed with as well, but again it was in a garage and was on the pricey side.
That website is really good as you get honest hard working folks I think. Not a place where people with more money than sense seem to go.
Current:
- Audi B8 RS4 - Panther Black
- VW High Up! TSI - Red with Black Roof
Previous:
- BMW R56 Mini JCW - Black with Red Roof
- Peugeot 306 1.6 GLX - British Racing Green
- Ford Fiesta 1.1 Popular Plus - Sky Blue

SLC Detailing
4th Gear

Post by SLC Detailing » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:21 pm

I'm based in Kent www.slcdetailing.co.uk

Let me know if I could be of help.

mrbubba
Neutral

Post by mrbubba » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:13 pm

Sammyb349 wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:39 pm
Where are you in west London?

Honestly I would not use elite detailing /liquid car care. I got mine done there when I first got it. I paid up for the top clean and was left very disappointed. There was a lot more expensive cars getting done and mine had streaks and the grill had been forgotten (costing £150). The cars are washed in a garage with no natural light and there are 150+ vloggers running around trying to take clips of P1s etc.

I ended up going onto the detailers accredited site (http://www.pro-valets.co.uk/) and found someone on there. Have been very very happy. Now get the car cleaned once a month for £40 where the guys is there for a good 3 hrs getting it looking gorgeous. Pics and link in my detailing thread.
Top post, found a nice local detailer for my new car :thumbs:

Return to “Cleaning & Car Care”