Snowfoam

Everything you need to know about cleaning products and general car care
Harris.
4th Gear

Re: Snowfoam

Post by Harris. » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:30 pm

doodlebug wrote:No. Snow foam does not strip, not unless you're using thinners to foam. That's the whole point. You shouldn't jet first as all that does is drive the grit into the paint.
So clearly the instructions are wrong then as it clearly says do not use on a dry car ,the body needs to be wet .

And it does strip as it takes the finish back to standard hence why detailers use it then after they machine etc, I noticed it with my car then had to do a full polish + wax again .

doodlebug
Cruising

Snowfoam

Post by doodlebug » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:32 pm

I've never seen that on a foam product. And all of the detailers I've used have foamed first. Foaming on a wet surface reduces the impact of the foam.

Foam lifts the dirt just as bubbles in your washing up do. If you had to polish and wax after every use you'd be through the lacquer after a couple of months.

Harris.
4th Gear

Post by Harris. » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:34 pm

MikeFish wrote:This is my routine now for a zero contact clean:

Jet wash to blast dirt off.
snow foam for pre-wash, leave for 20 mins
jet wash
car shampoo / wax (meguiars) in a foam lance (no rubbing)
jet wash
rinse with water from filter
drive round the block

pat dry any bits left over if I have to although as its filtered water it shouldn't leave any marks so I normally leave it.
Hi Mike that's the correct way to do it , although I don't drive it round the block .

The reason why you hit the car with water first is to remove as must loose dirt / grime as possible , then while the car is wet hit it with the foam which will then run with the water removing even more .

Key to not scratching is keeping the car as wet as possible .

doodlebug
Cruising

Snowfoam

Post by doodlebug » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:36 pm

Why would you jet wash a car covered with grit? High pressure water on to grit on painted surface. If you were to wet it with a hose first I might understand, but driving grit into the paintwork isn't something I'd want to do!!

Harris.
4th Gear

Post by Harris. » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:37 pm

doodlebug wrote:I've never seen that on a foam product. And all of the detailers I've used have foamed first. Foaming on a wet surface reduces the impact of the foam.

Foam lifts the dirt just as bubbles in your washing up do. If you had to polish and wax after every use you'd be through the lacquer after a couple of months.
Not at all hence why I use non resin polish so I don't thin the paint .Ive been doing it for years on all my cars and never had a problem .

Wet is key !

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:39 pm

Harris. wrote: The reason why you hit the car with water first is to remove as must loose dirt / grime as possible , then while the car is wet hit it with the foam which will then run with the water removing even more .
This is what I learnt from a detailers how-to guide.

doodlebug
Cruising

Snowfoam

Post by doodlebug » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:44 pm

Harris. wrote:
doodlebug wrote:I've never seen that on a foam product. And all of the detailers I've used have foamed first. Foaming on a wet surface reduces the impact of the foam.

Not at all hence why I use non resin polish so I don't thin the paint .Ive been doing it for years on all my cars and never had a problem .

Wet is key !
Sure, but if you're not removing even a few microns then you're not actually achieving a polish. You have to remove something in order to remove the defects ergo thinning is inevitable. If you don't measure the depth then there surely could be a surprise one day.

A brief video on foaming from Autofinesse. Foam on to a dry car. James has detailed many of my cars, though he's doing less of this spending more time on his products. He's one of the best out there, I'm happy to take his word for it!

https://vimeo.com/120611258
Last edited by doodlebug on Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harris.
4th Gear

Post by Harris. » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:53 pm

But your not going from start to finish then . jet the car , snow foam the car , jet again then while its wet use a claybar which removes grit etc . then polish and wax

The clay is one of the most important bits .

doodlebug
Cruising

Snowfoam

Post by doodlebug » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:55 pm

Harris. wrote:But your not going from start to finish then . jet the car , snow foam the car , jet again then while its wet use a claybar which removes grit etc . then polish and wax

Agreed, but you shouldn't have to clay every time, and claying itself is a bit of an art. Like anal, use plenty of lube.

Harris.
4th Gear

Post by Harris. » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:09 pm

Harris.
4th Gear

Post by Harris. » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:10 pm

doodlebug wrote:
Harris. wrote:But your not going from start to finish then . jet the car , snow foam the car , jet again then while its wet use a claybar which removes grit etc . then polish and wax

Agreed, but you shouldn't have to clay every time, and claying itself is a bit of an art. Like anal, use plenty of lube.
I don't clay after every wash ,I maybe do it once a quarter .

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:17 pm

It's absolutely pointless foaming a wet car.

Water has an inherent property called surface tension; this is what pond skaters utilise to move across the water surface in a natural wildlife pond and not sink. If you foam a wet car, then the foam will slide across the wet panel doing virtually sweet FA because of this surface tension!

A good quality snow foam will not remove any LSP previously applied the paintwork, the vast majority are PH neutral products. The design of the foam is to agitate and lift dirt away from the surface, so that water can move it away from the paint. Also, don't be fooled by the - more foam = better clean, way of thinking. Letting a foam dwell for more than 10 mins is also asking for trouble; you should not let any cleaning product dry out onto the paintwork.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

doodlebug
Cruising

Post by doodlebug » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:18 pm

^this!

Harris.
4th Gear

Post by Harris. » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:38 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:It's absolutely pointless foaming a wet car.

Water has an inherent property called surface tension; this is what pond skaters utilise to move across the water surface in a natural wildlife pond and not sink. If you foam a wet car, then the foam will slide across the wet panel doing virtually sweet FA because of this surface tension!

A good quality snow foam will not remove any LSP previously applied the paintwork, the vast majority are PH neutral products. The design of the foam is to agitate and lift dirt away from the surface, so that water can move it away from the paint. Also, don't be fooled by the - more foam = better clean, way of thinking. Letting a foam dwell for more than 10 mins is also asking for trouble; you should not let any cleaning product dry out onto the paintwork.

Its not pointless at all . it clearly states on the above picture jet car first . This is how i've always done it , and it takes the 10 minutes to work so its not asking for trouble or doing any harm as long as it don't dry . Yes I agree with the inherent comment but anyone who thinks just using the foam will give you a clean car is wrong .

The Detailing on any car doing it properly is 2/3 days / I can easily spend a day doing my car and it don't get that dirty

RossDagley
Top Gear

Post by RossDagley » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:11 pm

Some misinformation here :/

Snowfoam will fall off a wet car and not lift dirt. Should be done dry.
Snowfoam will NOT remove any lsp/wax (if designed not to - some generic noname crap from halfords might, but I don't use anything other than ph neutral).
I contactless clean for 4-5 washes before I use a mitt. When you have a decent lsp and foam/rinse frequently (don't allow a big build up of dirt) this is all that's needed.

Process for contactless:

Treat wheels first.
Snowfoam whole car.
Dwell foam for approx 5 minutes.
Jetwash car.
Rinse with 0ppm water.
Dry with compressed air/blower.

That's IT. For a top up, I might use a QD but normally only need that on cleans 3-5 when I'm close to needing an actual tbm wash.
Trust me when I say I have a clean car.
I detail. A lot. I've been using this method a long time.

The key is the LSP.
Believe only the man who has nothing to gain from what he says.

2017 BMW M4 Competition Pack - Mineral Grey - 530ps by bootmod3, JCWeldfab exhaust.
Previously:
Renault Megane R26 - Liquid Yellow - 275ps.
2015 Audi Exclusive RS4 B8 - Merlin Purple - JCWF Exhaust
2009 Audi RS6 C6 - Phantom Black - 730ps MRC Tuned
2008 Audi RS4 B7 - Phantom Black - 449ps MRC Tuned
2002 Peugeot 106 Gti - Mauritius blue - 430ps Home built.

Return to “Cleaning & Car Care”