Snowfoam

Everything you need to know about cleaning products and general car care
MikeFish
Cruising

Re: Snowfoam

Post by MikeFish » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:20 pm

Bloody hell, I wish you lot would speak english; WTF is the LSP and QD?

So, all this time I've been doing it wrong? All the how-to's I read said to blast dirt off 1st before snow foam!!!

Pistolpete2543
3rd Gear

Post by Pistolpete2543 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:25 pm

To be fair Mike, I think if the car is completely caked in dirt then yes, it is probably best to get rid of the worst with a pressure washer rinse first, otherwise the snowfoam will not break down the build-up on the paint surface. But if it is just a weekly or 2-weekly maintenance wash and removal of road traffic film and light coating (which I'm sure most RS owners will be doing as we look after our cars very well), then I personally think it is best to snowfoam a dry car and let it dwell before rinse and then 2-bucket wash. My Nilfisk pressure washer instructions also state to apply snowfoam to a dry car and work from bottom to top.

QD = quick detailer
LSP = last surface protection = wax

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:29 pm

Thanks Pete!

Harris.
4th Gear

Post by Harris. » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:37 pm

RossDagley wrote:Some misinformation here :/

Snowfoam will fall off a wet car and not lift dirt. Should be done dry.
Snowfoam will NOT remove any lsp/wax (if designed not to - some generic noname crap from halfords might, but I don't use anything other than ph neutral).
I contactless clean for 4-5 washes before I use a mitt. When you have a decent lsp and foam/rinse frequently (don't allow a big build up of dirt) this is all that's needed.

Process for contactless:

Treat wheels first.
Snowfoam whole car.
Dwell foam for approx 5 minutes.
Jetwash car.
Rinse with 0ppm water.
Dry with compressed air/blower.

That's IT. For a top up, I might use a QD but normally only need that on cleans 3-5 when I'm close to needing an actual tbm wash.
Trust me when I say I have a clean car.
I detail. A lot. I've been using this method a long time.

The key is the LSP.
Well that's not very good then as the instructions say different , see picture . either way im happy with how my car looks (needs a machine polish to remove some swirls ) and all my other cars always receive comments how clean they are .

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:51 pm

Harris. wrote: Well that's not very good then as the instructions say different , see picture . either way im happy with how my car looks (needs a machine polish to remove some swirls ) and all my other cars always receive comments how clean they are .
I'd hazard a guess that the foam Halfords sell is a more aggressive product i.e. leaning more towards either an Alkaline or Acid. Therefor they minimise risk by stating that it should be applied to a wet car, as the average Halfords customer is not a detailing enthusiast who knows the basics of car paintwork care.

Just be cautious when stating things as fact. Certain products are designed to be utilised in different ways, even if they fall within the same product group. If you're happy with the Haslfords product and the finish it gives you, then stick with it.

I tried a few foams over the years and ended up with Bilt Hambers Autofoam. It's not the foamiest of snow foams but from my experience, it removes/softens dirt the best.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

Pistolpete2543
3rd Gear

Post by Pistolpete2543 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:55 pm

I'll be trying the Bilt Hamber foam next as their products are excellent. Had a bird dropping on the roof whic the claybar wouldn't shift and thought I was going to be left with an etching in the lacquer. A quick dab of neat Bilt Hamber Surfex HD and it was gone. Plus I've done the whole underside of my Mk1 Golf GTi restoration using their products and have been very impressed.

Harris.
4th Gear

Post by Harris. » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:12 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:
Harris. wrote: Well that's not very good then as the instructions say different , see picture . either way im happy with how my car looks (needs a machine polish to remove some swirls ) and all my other cars always receive comments how clean they are .
I'd hazard a guess that the foam Halfords sell is a more aggressive product i.e. leaning more towards either an Alkaline or Acid. Therefor they minimise risk by stating that it should be applied to a wet car, as the average Halfords customer is not a detailing enthusiast who knows the basics of car paintwork care.

Just be cautious when stating things as fact. Certain products are designed to be utilised in different ways, even if they fall within the same product group. If you're happy with the Haslfords product and the finish it gives you, then stick with it.

I tried a few foams over the years and ended up with Bilt Hambers Autofoam. It's not the foamiest of snow foams but from my experience, it removes/softens dirt the best.
I'll give another brand a try and see what happens .

Return to “Cleaning & Car Care”