B7 vs B8 - running and maintenance costs

General Forum for Warranty, Dealers, Servicing, Insurance, Breakdown, etc
chive90
1st Gear

B7 vs B8 - running and maintenance costs

Post by chive90 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:18 am

Now that these are crossing over in price (a good, low-mid mileage B7 seems to be similar money to a mid mileage B8) I'm curious to know how they compare in day to day and annual costs.

Running costs, MPG etc I assume are quite similar but what about maintenance costs and any nasty bills?

Typical B7 issues/expenses seem to be DRC, Oil Cooler pipes, brakes, regular carbon cleans but otherwise the engine and manual box seem to be pretty solid.
How does the B8 compare? Assume it's huge money if there are any engine/gearbox issues but on the flip side haven't heard much regarding oil pipes/carbon cleans etc so assume these were rectified.

Has anyone owned both and can give an example of the annual running/maintenance costs? I've always fancied a B7 and still do but it's hard to ignore a ~7 year newer car for the same price, so I'm curious on the costs and experiences.

Thanks

JamesBaby
3rd Gear

Re: B7 vs B8 - running and maintenance costs

Post by JamesBaby » Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:06 pm

I've had both. The B8 has lower maintenance costs because of the age of the B7 needing more upkeep. As long as the the B8 has had the S-tronic oil service every 20k miles, plus the gearbox and final drive oils every 40k miles you will be fine. It's the neglected ones that could cost you more. So check the history for proof.

DRC can go on the B8 too but it is rare and limited to the flexi's or the struts from what I see online. My B8 had zero faults up to me selling it at around 58k miles.

The B7 is a drivers car and I love it more than my B8, However it has cost me already as I can't stand little niggles or noises. I'm too OCD so if it squeaks or rattles it gets replaced lol :) So costs depend on your own tolerance for imperfections.

chive90
1st Gear

Post by chive90 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:31 pm

Thanks - interesting yet not overly surprising that you've had both and rate the B7 higher. What do you miss from the B8? Assume more the tech and the extra power (does it feel much quicker?) as opposed to driving feel etc which is surely better in the B7.

I'd be the same regarding the OCD element, which is why I'm finding it difficult to locate a good example. I'd never even considered a B8 but have been on the lookout for a good B7 for so long that the B8's have started to catch my eye/come into price. I think if I went for one though I'd always be thinking why didn't I go for the B7. I need to drive both really.

JamesBaby
3rd Gear

Post by JamesBaby » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:24 pm

The tech was ok in the B8. The B7 when lowered on DRC is as comfy as the B8 in comfort mode. The B8 is undriveable in Dynamic, it known for rock hard bouncyness.

Get on the RS4 B7 Owners page on Facebook. There'd recently been some stunning examples up for sale by members.

chive90
1st Gear

Post by chive90 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:14 pm

JamesBaby wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:24 pm
The tech was ok in the B8. The B7 when lowered on DRC is as comfy as the B8 in comfort mode. The B8 is undriveable in Dynamic, it known for rock hard bouncyness.

Get on the RS4 B7 Owners page on Facebook. There'd recently been some stunning examples up for sale by members.
Thanks - I must be doing something wrong because when I go on that page it shows the last post as December 2021 and doesn't seem to be much else on there... is it the correct group or do I need to register or something?

JamesBaby
3rd Gear

Post by JamesBaby » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:27 am

The group is called Audi RS4 B7 Owners and you have to click on it and request membership first. There's also a buy & sell page in addition so try that as well.

Micknova
Neutral

Post by Micknova » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:46 am

JamesBaby wrote:

I'm a B8 owner, I must agree dynamic is undriveable on UK roads. However i can't say I miss it, I have mine in individual mode so have that nice V8 sound without the stiffness.

Mines high mileage and only just now after 18months I have issues. Which surprise surprise is bushes by looks of it. I'll find out for sure tomorrow.

I use mine as a daily driver which was one reason I went with the B8, the auto box is so much better for everyday use and as for performance a manual box has no chance against it
I run alot at the drag strip and compared to even modified B7s I'm way ahead and it's due to the gearbox mainly.

I do love a B7 though but they are starting to age now.
Ideally I'd still love a B5 😉

I do find the B8 seems to have less of a following and is harder to find parts ect. But I've found jumping into the RS5 sections works wonders as it's basically identical except the RS4 has a fat ass which we love 😁

I'm sure either one you choose will be great. I love the RS Avant's. Practical supercars 😜

Stevie1982
2nd Gear

Post by Stevie1982 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:17 pm

Micknova wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:46 am
JamesBaby wrote:

I'm a B8 owner, I must agree dynamic is undriveable on UK roads. However i can't say I miss it, I have mine in individual mode so have that nice V8 sound without the stiffness.

Mines high mileage and only just now after 18months I have issues. Which surprise surprise is bushes by looks of it. I'll find out for sure tomorrow.

I use mine as a daily driver which was one reason I went with the B8, the auto box is so much better for everyday use and as for performance a manual box has no chance against it
I run alot at the drag strip and compared to even modified B7s I'm way ahead and it's due to the gearbox mainly.

I do love a B7 though but they are starting to age now.
Ideally I'd still love a B5 😉

I do find the B8 seems to have less of a following and is harder to find parts ect. But I've found jumping into the RS5 sections works wonders as it's basically identical except the RS4 has a fat ass which we love 😁

I'm sure either one you choose will be great. I love the RS Avant's. Practical supercars 😜
Mick, have to ask as I'm due to collect a B8 next week. What do you find are the best settings for individual mode. Day to day driving etc.

Sammyb349
3rd Gear

Post by Sammyb349 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:06 am

For me auto on everything, except suspension I have comfort and exhaust I have dynamic. This means when you pootle around it’s basically comfort with the better exhaust notes and when you have a more spirited drive the engine and gearbox are dynamic to support
Current:
- Audi B8 RS4 - Panther Black
- VW High Up! TSI - Red with Black Roof
Previous:
- BMW R56 Mini JCW - Black with Red Roof
- Peugeot 306 1.6 GLX - British Racing Green
- Ford Fiesta 1.1 Popular Plus - Sky Blue

Stevie1982
2nd Gear

Post by Stevie1982 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:34 am

Sammyb349 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:06 am
For me auto on everything, except suspension I have comfort and exhaust I have dynamic. This means when you pootle around it’s basically comfort with the better exhaust notes and when you have a more spirited drive the engine and gearbox are dynamic to support
Hi Sammy

Thanks for that, so from that i take it that items are left to auto when the car is driven those items will change to suit the driving style/input at the time?

Sammyb349
3rd Gear

Post by Sammyb349 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:26 pm

Correct it goes from comfort to dynamic depending on driving style. Only rarely is it annoying and holds onto revs when you just want to do a single overtake but 99% of the time I think it works well
Current:
- Audi B8 RS4 - Panther Black
- VW High Up! TSI - Red with Black Roof
Previous:
- BMW R56 Mini JCW - Black with Red Roof
- Peugeot 306 1.6 GLX - British Racing Green
- Ford Fiesta 1.1 Popular Plus - Sky Blue

Return to “Audi S and RS Ownership”