Windscreen damaged by service centre

General Forum for Warranty, Dealers, Servicing, Insurance, Breakdown, etc
elchet
2nd Gear

Windscreen damaged by service centre

Post by elchet » Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:59 pm

My B9 RS4 went into Harold Wood Audi recently for diagnostics on the distance radar, which they completed and reported on. Shortly after collecting the car, and after triggering the windscreen wipers, I noticed what looked like a new crack in the windscreen. At that point I was on the M25 and couldn't have a proper look.

On getting home, I investigate discover that it's actually a massive gash that's been scratched on the inside of the windscreen, presumably in a layer of polarising film or something as part of the HUD. Someone must have had something sharp and rigid like a screwdriver in their hand while holding the steering wheel. I'm not even sure a set of keys could do this unless you were really going for it.
scratch2.jpg
This was categorically not there when the car was dropped off - it's right in the driver's line of sight and impossible to miss. The only reason I didn't see it the second I sat in the car on collecting it was because the windscreen was dirty (they'd left the car outside next to their cleaning bays so it'd caught lots of spray)

I reported this to the service centre immediately, and despite chasing repeatedly it's taken two weeks for them to come back and say it didn't happen while in their care and if it had, it would have been reported already. They've offered to pay the excess for an insurance claim for a replacement windscreen. It'll need the proper part from Audi anyway for the HUD and sensor camera compatibility.

This is pretty absymal and a huge let down from an Audi official dealer/service centre. Does anyone have any tips or contacts for escalation with Group 1 Auto, or has anyone experienced a similar scenario? I can go to the ombudsman but that feels like a long and slow path.
2018 B9 RS4 Daytona Grey

Return to “Audi S and RS Ownership”