B7 or B8 RS4?

General Forum for Warranty, Dealers, Servicing, Insurance, Breakdown, etc
PaulHH
Neutral

B7 or B8 RS4?

Post by PaulHH » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:05 pm

I’ve heard a lot of guys say that the B7 is the last of the proper RS4’s and I maybe misunderstanding the comment but why is the B8 not as good as the B7?

s3_irl
Neutral

Re: B7 or B8 RS4?

Post by s3_irl » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:14 pm

The Last RS with a manual gearbox.
I think the way forward is the felt-spec double-bluff!

PaulHH
Neutral

Post by PaulHH » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:21 pm

Cheers for the reply mate, is that the only real difference making the B7 better. I know the B8 has the newer software and bit more power. I’m just starting to look at the B7 and just wanted to be sure I shouldn’t stretch for a B8.

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:39 pm

Steering feel along with the mentioned manual gear box are key contributors to the B7 feeling a bit more driver focused.

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:42 pm

Having owned both and done over 50k across two B7's and now 17k in a B8. I like to think of the B7 as - The first of the proper RS4's.

The B7 is a great all around car and has aged very very well. But overall. My verdict is that the B8 is a better car, and performs better for its market position/target audience.

B7 Positives:
Hydraulic steering rack - Steering feel is better.
A good manual gearbox - If that's what you really want.
Body shape options - Avant, Saloon and Hairdresser.
Cheaper - almost half the price.

B8 Positives:
Faster - more power and faster S-Tronic gearbox .
Sounds even better - Twin intakes and sports exhaust.
Handles better - Better weight distribution, larger track width & tyres, torque vectoring and Audi Sport differential.
Looks meaner - A subjective aspect, but the boxed arches look better and the bumpers are sportier.
Greater Technology - But less included as standard.
Comfort - Changeable damper rates, gives far greater range of ability.
Seats - Sport Seats are much better than the B7's comforts and Buckets for the die hards were still available.
Gearbox - 7 speed S-Tronic suits the engine better. Lazy auto around town and then bangs through the gears when pushing on.
Economy - Returns around 5-8 mpg more and therefore increases the fuel tank range to just about acceptable.

Moving to the B8. I thought that I would really miss the manual gearbox, bucket seats and steering feel from the B7. Looking back, I can honestly say that I only miss the steering feel but that said. You can still place the B8 perfectly well on the road.

The satisfying part is that both examples turn heads, attract positive comments and appreciation from the public. All that whilst being practical and a hoot to own in my experience.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

PaulHH
Neutral

Post by PaulHH » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:01 pm

Very substantive reply Sam and very appreciated for taking the time. Do you know if the DRC more reliable on the B8?

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:14 pm

You’re welcome.

Love the DRC system and never had a problem with any of mine. You see more issues in the B7 section but they're getting on a bit now and less B8's were made. So not entirely fair.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:31 pm

B7 for me all day long as it's a saloon and manual. Faster? I raced a brand new one in mine in Germany from 50 to 190 mph and we were neck and neck and I doubt if it was standard as it had no limiter. The B8 though is newer, more efficient with better tech, but I really don’t like the bread van. If there was a B8 or B9 saloon I would buy one immediately. So if you like an Avant then go for the B8.
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:01 am

Man up and get an Avant Cov.

Faster...yes. I've been walked over in my B7's by B8's and then carried out the walking over B7's in my B8. 30 -150 and I've been a good 5+ car lengths in front. All my favourite roads I can carry greater speed in the B8 compared to my previous B7's, try it...you'll like it.

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:41 am

Dont get me wrong I like all RS4's inc B8 & B9, I know from Doug that the B8 can achieve 475BHP so yes it should be faster. I will have to take one for a drive.
Given you like Avants, the simple fact is that the B7 in now an old car and there are pleanty of young B8's around, so to me it's a no brainer, go for the B8. Better car in many ways and less hassle in the long term.
Last edited by Covkiller on Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:56 am

When driving the B8, the steering really put me off. That said, I bought a CLA45 AMG shooting brake as the steering feel, turn in etc is pretty good, but I’m not a massive fan of that car either. Both 7 speed dual clutch cars. I’ve had an SMG E46 M3 before and loved it, so the lack of manual wasn’t the be all and end all for me.

That said I missed the B7 that much, I bought another to compliment the 45.

I would imagine it will be much easier to find a decent B8 now, given they aren’t that old. There are a lot of rough B7’s out there, so you’d need to drive a well maintained B7 to get a decent comparison. I would definitely recommend getting a good, long test drive in both around some nice roads though before making a decision.

PaulHH
Neutral

Post by PaulHH » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:18 pm

B8 bought. Cheers for all the help 👍

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:05 pm

Tell us more.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:48 am

Surrey Sam wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:42 pm
Having owned both and done over 50k across two B7's and now 17k in a B8. I like to think of the B7 as - The first of the proper RS4's.

The B7 is a great all around car and has aged very very well. But overall. My verdict is that the B8 is a better car, and performs better for its market position/target audience.

B7 Positives:
Hydraulic steering rack - Steering feel is better.
A good manual gearbox - If that's what you really want.
Body shape options - Avant, Saloon and Hairdresser.
Cheaper - almost half the price.

B8 Positives:
Faster - more power and faster S-Tronic gearbox .
Sounds even better - Twin intakes and sports exhaust.
Handles better - Better weight distribution, larger track width & tyres, torque vectoring and Audi Sport differential.
Looks meaner - A subjective aspect, but the boxed arches look better and the bumpers are sportier.
Greater Technology - But less included as standard.
Comfort - Changeable damper rates, gives far greater range of ability.
Seats - Sport Seats are much better than the B7's comforts and Buckets for the die hards were still available.
Gearbox - 7 speed S-Tronic suits the engine better. Lazy auto around town and then bangs through the gears when pushing on.
Economy - Returns around 5-8 mpg more and therefore increases the fuel tank range to just about acceptable.

Moving to the B8. I thought that I would really miss the manual gearbox, bucket seats and steering feel from the B7. Looking back, I can honestly say that I only miss the steering feel but that said. You can still place the B8 perfectly well on the road.

The satisfying part is that both examples turn heads, attract positive comments and appreciation from the public. All that whilst being practical and a hoot to own in my experience.
I know I'm a bit late to the party especially give that you've bought a B8 now but I thought I'd give it my 2 cents worth.
Sam, of course you give a good review having owned both variants, and as I've never driven a B8 my opinions are limited. However, I have to disagree about the B8 looking meaner.
Looks; I think the B7 is much more aggressive and the B8s lack of aggressiveness versus the B7 was one of its biggest pitfalls.
Comfort; The B7 didn't need switchable suspension modes as it did comfort and sporty so well in one mode. I miss this perfection simplicity.
Seats; buckets were a major selling point for the B7, personally I don't understand why everyone didn't get them in the B8.

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:39 pm

Indeed Mike, the B7 bucket seats should have been standard on the B8. A major extra I looked for when searching RS4 B8's and very few had them. I am absolutely baised on the RS4 B7, it's one of the greatest cars ever made. When it was made it was unique. Time has moved on now and they are ageing including mine. It is the only RS4 saloon ever made and will remain a perfect car in my eyes.
Last edited by Covkiller on Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Audi S and RS Ownership”