Dealership Good News Story - S5 Convertible S-Tronic Gearbox

General Forum for Warranty, Dealers, Servicing, Insurance, Breakdown, etc
rookie
Neutral

Dealership Good News Story - S5 Convertible S-Tronic Gearbox

Post by rookie » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:16 pm

So I've had a bit of a nightmare with my S5 over the last few months.

I had to replace my thermostat and water pump (using genuine parts) as it started to overheat - £550

Then I had issues with my convenience control module dying following a battery replacement. Brand new genuine unit installed -£564 (sigh)

So you can probably imagine my frustration when 3 days after getting my car back from the latest repair I get the dreaded gearbox malfunction error followed by the car dropping out of gear when the car pulled to a stop. I could get the car going after turning the ignition off and on again, but the error would reappear after a few miles. I was beginning to get fed up with what was my dream car.

Now one of the main reasons I purchased this particular S5 was because it had a replacement Mechatronic unit installed by Audi in January 2016, and this part had a 2 year warranty. I was aware that this was a fairly common (and expensive) failure on early s-tronic units.

I booked the car into Bromley Audi to have the gearbox fault diagnosed. This is my local dealer where I get my car serviced. I was initially told it was likely to be a Mechatronic unit failure and I needed to contact Southend Audi as the previous repair was done by them. I contacted Southend Audi to be told that as it was covered by an Audi warranty it could be repaired anywhere. So back to Bromley, and they then inform me that the issue with the gearbox could be related to a failure with the G676 gear selector sensor. I was told they were waiting for Audi technical to get back to them with a diagnosis. I was rather sceptical and concerned at this point...

I received a call from Bromley Audi a couple of days later. The chap I’d been dealing with told me he had good news. He informed me Audi had agreed to replace the entire gearbox under goodwill (at a cost of £10,336). I couldn’t believe it!

So a couple of weeks later I get the car back and it is running superbly. The new gearbox is awesome, my faith in Audi and my S5 restored. I had a minor issue with the tracking not being setup correctly; however as an apology for this the dealership gave me a lovely Audi sports watch!

I thought I’d post this up as I’m aware dealerships get a lot of bad press, yet many people don’t post when they have a good service. Bromley Audi have really looked after me and the staff there (especially a chap called Wayne) have been fantastic. If anybody does need to go to an Audi dealership, I’d wholeheartedly recommend them!

GrahamS4
Top Gear

Re: Dealership Good News Story - S5 Convertible S-Tronic Gearbox

Post by GrahamS4 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:28 pm

Great outcome. What year and mileage is the S5?
Present: 2010 Ice silver B8 S4 s-tronic saloon (standard)
Past: 1998 Agate grey B5 S4 saloon (MRC tuned)
Hers: 2011 Volcano red 8P A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI 170 sport quattro

rookie
Neutral

Post by rookie » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:31 am

Thanks!

It's a 2010 (3.0) with 61,000 miles.

Considered1
Neutral

Post by Considered1 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:39 am

Great news thanks for sharing and enjoy your ‘new’ car!
2009 RS6 Avant 5.0 v10 TFSI Quattro, Sepang Blue, Soft Close, BOSE, TV.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWAcpngwADk/youtube]

Return to “Audi S and RS Ownership”