I just bought this............

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
iR8V10
Top Gear

Post by iR8V10 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:32 pm

Condor24 wrote:Just after I bought the car in 2003, I had QST fit uprated brakes which came with red calipers engraved with RS6.

:beerchug:
They'll be mtm or mov-it brakes from QST.
Current: R8 V10+ Gen2: Dynamite Red
SOLD: R8 V10: Exclusive OEM + Spec: http://forum.rs246.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=103976
SOLD: S3 8L: The daily: http://forum.rs246.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... y+noggy+s3

chunky79
Cruising

Post by chunky79 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:07 pm

Carlson wrote:Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the advice and the welcome.

I picked up the car today and immediately had to do about 100 miles in it on motorways and around London.

What has immediately struck me is just how tight and new the car feels.The interior still smells new and driving the car feels as if it has done
far less than the 56k on the clock.This example has one owner and a full VAG history.

It is awesome,far faster than my 305bhp Pro Drive Impreza,but also far more relaxing to drive.

At the time of purchase i spoke in detail to the salesman at Fontain about the warranty and it is their platinum warranty and has
a £2000 limit for each individual claim.

I asked specifically about DRC failure,and if they would try to say that this was 'wear and tear' to relinquish responsibility.

I was told categorically that if the DRC failed they would replace the suspension under warranty with H&R coilovers.

The salesman told me if anything failed on the car within the 12 month period,to bring the car back to them and it would be fixed
under warranty.

Having read all of your responses today i began to get a little paranoid so decided to drive to the original owners house to ask him about
his experiences with the car.

I drove to one of the most expensive area's in London,to an absolutely huge,stunning house but unfortunately there was no one there.
However,sitting on the drive was a brand new Jaguar XFR Saloon.

Having seen this,and felt the way my RS6 drives i am feeling quite confident that the first owner was a certain type of person,the type of
person i would not have minded owning a car before me.And that he obviously had a genuine reason for sale.(An RS6 he considered old,
that he'd had since new and the purchase of his new vehicle).

Regarding the comments that buying a standard car is perhaps not as wise as buying one from here that has had militech,coilovers,remap etc.

I'm going to be brutally honest here,that is the kind of stuff that owner number 2 or 3 generally does.The type of owner who is an enthusiast
and someone more likely to drive the car to its limits.

The sort of person i hope owned the car before me is someone with a fair bit of money who wanted to buy a top of the range A6 that would comfortably
transport his family across continents quickly and safely and be able to cruise at high speeds when the conditions allowed.

I may eat my words in the future but these are my thoughts..................nay,hopes.LOL

Thanks again for the welcome and you all drive a FANTASTIC car.

Carlson
Sounds like you have got yourself a cracker. Bet you haven't stopped smiling yet and how many time's have you just had a quick look out the window at it???
previous- Pug 205 gti, 306 gti, 309 gti Goodwood.
Audi S3, S4 V8 avant.
Porsche Macan Turbo.
Gone but NEVER forgotten - C5 RS6 Misano red avant.

Now - Empty garage

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there!

SimonY
2nd Gear

Post by SimonY » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:07 am

Carlson,

Lovely looking car and welcome.

I bought my RS6 from Fontain back in May 07 when it was just 3 years old. They were recommended to me by a mate who's in the trade and said how "they knew their product".

Always found Marcus and the guys down there very helpful and knowledgeable. Having paid top money for mine at the time, partly because it had only covered 19k miles and in near perfect condition, I was somewhat hacked off when the DRC failed in the November and Fontain put it down to wear & tear at the time and made it clear that it wasn't covered under the warranty.

As a compromise, they did however install my Bilsteins and waived quite a considerable amount of the labour charges at the time, partly because they had not done a coilover conversion before then so I was bit of a guinea pig. Marcus even rang me at the time to check that I was happy for him to take it home that night so that it could bedded down before they did the geo setup the next morning.

3 years on and apart from a replacement top mount, which were all done at the time, the car has been fantastic.

My only suggestion is get something in writing from them re the DRC. I can only assume that they've changed things after mine and probably a few others!

Anyway, this experience has never spoilt my 3 and a half years of ownership and I'm just wondering what I will have next when I eventually have to replace it!

Enjoy, as the old sceptics would say!
Current
1985 Ur quattro in Alpine White

Previous
2004 RS6 Mugello Blue Avant | Milltek Non-Res | Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers | Hotchkis ARB | Black Optics Kit | RS6+ Coloured Alloys (Sold but never forgotten)
2015 RS4 in Riviera Blue
2016 RS6 in Utopia Blue
2002 S3 in Imola Yellow

Carlson
2nd Gear

Re: I just bought this............

Post by Carlson » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:03 pm

Six years on,now on 92K

The car has been stunning.

It has taken me and my family to the Alps six times and as i write we are here again.

Great journey which began 3 days after the car returned from MRC for a 20K service
(it has been serviced annually with MRC for the last 5 years,
with an earlier service by Fontain in 2011 and then a monster cambelt service in 2012
with Unit 20 - gearbox service,cambelt,discs,rebuild intercoolers).

The service it has just finished at MRC encompassed cambelt (for the second time in my ownership and the third time in the cars life),
gearbox service (second time in cars life).There was also a coolant leak that MRC dealt with mentioned in a previous thread that slowed down
the service and took it worryingly close to the family holiday.The car was also remapped for Shell 98 (having previously been mapped for BP 97),
and MRC squeezed another 24bhp out of it,taking it up to 530- not bad for a car with standard exhausts.

The drive to the Alps with the missus in the passenger seat and three adult sized kids in the rear seats with a fully packed boot was faultless.
I also travel with a C5 spare alloy with tyre in the boot as i got caught out once htting debris on the motorway that blew a tyre so badly the gel
would not fi it.

Here are a couple of pics showing how low it sits on its Bilsteins when fully loaded.It is fitted with Michelin PSS,i don't bother with winter tyres as it is
generally only the last 10km in snow and the car always copes fine being driven carefully.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:53 am

That's what I love about the RS6, too. I was driving mine in slippery and wet conditions the other day and it always boggles my mind how sure footed it is. Especially compared to the M3.

Still looks awesome. Daytona FTW. 10mm spacers would look very nice on yours. Brings the wheels out just the right amount to fill the arches.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Carlson
2nd Gear

Post by Carlson » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:36 pm

After some bangs from the gearbox while the missus was on a motorway drive,and then going into limp mode the next day, at 93K the RS6 has been trailered to Unit 20 to have its gearbox assessed and probably swapped out.

I'll keep you all posted.

bam_bam
Cruising

Post by bam_bam » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:45 pm

This has got to be one of the most sporadic long-term reports ever. Best of luck with the new gearbox, certainly a keeper.
No matter where you go, there you are.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:03 am

Needs spacers. :P
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Carlson
2nd Gear

Post by Carlson » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:16 pm

UPDATE-

It wasn’t the gearbox, Unit 20 found the issue was the gearbox ECU and fitted a new one. Since getting it back All has been good and the car went back to its usual most excellent garage for the annual service at MRC.

MRC really do go above and beyond and I class them as excellent.

The car did its usual high speed fully loaded trip from London to the Alps and back. It performed faultlessly.

Cruise control was set to 140kmh which is a speed I feel is achievable for hours on end in France without attracting plod. Obviously there were little sections where it got an extra squirt ;-) but generally we are able to do the journey from Richmond to Merribel in 11hrs on cruise, stopping only briefly for a fill up of super unleaded every 300 miles.

I’m the 2nd owner of the car, the first kept it regularly serviced as per the schedule at Audi main dealers.

I’ve done all my servicing annually at MRC primarily and Unit 20 for a couple of stamps. I haven’t spared any expense so as I hit the benchmark mileage today the car feels smooth, very quick and pulls like a train.

It will be fitted with a non resonated Militek by MRC next week, just because I’ve always fancied one.

Here is a pic of today’s benchmark-
Last edited by Carlson on Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Carlson
2nd Gear

Post by Carlson » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:17 pm

Carlson
2nd Gear

Post by Carlson » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:25 pm

Carlson
2nd Gear

Post by Carlson » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:32 pm

Just one more thing-

For those that know the Alps, the gendarmes have a road block at the bottom of the mountain in Moutiers, demanding drivers stopped and put their snow chains as it was snowing heavily. I wound down the window and after uttering one word I was allowed to pass the cordon while everyone else was stopped-
“Quattro”.

The drive up the mountain was great, the car felt incredibly sure footed despite not being on Winter tyres (it was shod in new Michelin PSS).
Last edited by Carlson on Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:39 pm

Try PS4S next time, they are awesome.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:47 pm

Maybe they thought you said "Cointreau" and were expecting you to pull up and offer them some orangey naughtiness.

benh999
3rd Gear

Post by benh999 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:06 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:47 pm
Maybe they thought you said "Cointreau" and were expecting you to pull up and offer them some orangey naughtiness.
:thumb: :thumb:

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”