4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Felix2566
1st Gear

Refit DRC

Post by Felix2566 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:33 am

Hi All,

New RS6 owner.

My car was previously owned by member of this forum.
viewtopic.php?t=138724

Loving the car so far, so much fun to drive. My main complaint with the car is the ride quality, currently it is fitted with PSS9 coil overs. Seems to be the choice to fit when removing the DRC system. I know everyones tastes are different, but for me the ride quality is a real let down to the rest of the car. As a side note I have driven a friends RS6 saloon with brand new PSS9 and all new front arms etc and it felt the same. It has a lot of harshness to the ride that I really dont like and feel takes away from the general greatness of the car.

My thoughts are either is there a better/more compliant damper available or is it possible to refit the DRC system? I have not had a chance to look underneath and see how much of the system is still there. I would like to hear from any owners who still have DRC fitted that is working properly as to their experience of the ride quality.

Thanks.

srichards
4th Gear

Re: Refit DRC

Post by srichards » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:30 am

I think the DRC system was quite firm as well.

KW do a fully adjustable system but I have no idea whether it will do the impossible and be compliant on bumps without rolling like a pudding.

https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-bran ... di-rs6-c5/

I think the PSS9 from what I can gather is the least awful of all of them, unfortunately.

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:46 am

I Have the KW and can tell you they are also pretty hard. I don't have anything to compare them against, but to me at least they are pretty harsh.

srichards
4th Gear

Post by srichards » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:55 am

Is it the springs or damper choice that causes the problem? I can get custom springs done if I can have a spec that would work. Or maybe with a full spec it might be possible to find an alternative that suits those of us that want a more compliant ride and don't rag the arse off the car so just want something that is more comfortable but not completely out of hand when pushed a little.

Felix2566
1st Gear

Post by Felix2566 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:17 pm

Thanks for the feedback on options so far. I will be getting the tracking checked and the suspension a very good checking over before firing the parts cannon at it.

Its a shame that so many of the options available for our cars seem to be on the harsh side. To me its much more of a GT car than an all out sports car and should ride a bit softer.

Felix2566
1st Gear

Post by Felix2566 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:19 pm

srichards wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:55 am
Is it the springs or damper choice that causes the problem? I can get custom springs done if I can have a spec that would work. Or maybe with a full spec it might be possible to find an alternative that suits those of us that want a more compliant ride and don't rag the arse off the car so just want something that is more comfortable but not completely out of hand when pushed a little.
I will chat to the guy who will be setting it up for me. He did the set up on my Evo V and it is perfect to drive. He knows his onions and for sure will be able to make some suggestions as to improvements. Will bear you in mind if it comes to getting new springs made.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:03 pm

Pss9 set to 4 is a good ride IMO. I drove mine back to back with a friends b7 RS4 on factory (tested good) DRC and the ride comfort was remarkably similar.

If your PSS9 are set to 9 or 1 they will be crashy and horrible.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Felix2566
1st Gear

Post by Felix2566 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:19 pm

Thanks @shoppinit, will check what the settings are

Capt Ric
3rd Gear

Post by Capt Ric » Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:21 pm

Felix
For what it's worth my car is still on DRC, only having changed the front shocks and a flexi hose and maybe centre valves by previous owner.
Been happy with it, and never really understood why so many people changed to coil overs which seem to eventually have issues.
I supect the reason may be difficulty in finding parts especially hoses and centre valves ( wonder if ones off later cars would work?)
Good luck with trying to getting DRC reworking, but I supect you may be better trying new springs and dampers.

Felix2566
1st Gear

Post by Felix2566 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:06 am

Thanks @Capt Ric. Great to hear from an owner still on DRC suspension. If/when Im over your way would be very interested to have a ride in your car to see how it feels compared. I think considering how much of a flagship car it would have been when new it must drive better than on the aftermarket dampers.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:35 am

Dunno. Find the Top Gear review with Clarkson when it first came out. He said it was a bone shaker or similar.

/This one I think:
https://youtu.be/GlysPqLTRQo
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

srichards
4th Gear

Post by srichards » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:26 am

On my car the DRC was leaking by the first MOT with just under 40,000 miles on the car so that's another reason they'd have been dumped. Poor ride and poor longevity.

There are air kits for the RS6. They are tempting. I think this is the same company Jonny Smith used for his Jonny Cab air conversion.

https://airride.co.uk/air/shop/air-susp ... ride-gold/

Capt Ric
3rd Gear

Post by Capt Ric » Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:06 am

Felix2566 wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:06 am
Thanks @Capt Ric. Great to hear from an owner still on DRC suspension. If/when Im over your way would be very interested to have a ride in your car to see how it feels compared. I think considering how much of a flagship car it would have been when new it must drive better than on the aftermarket dampers.
You would be most welcome. I'm near Watford, and often attend the MK meets on the first wednesday of the month.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:18 am

What meet is this?

Weiß-sechs
5th Gear

Post by Weiß-sechs » Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:06 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:18 am
What meet is this?
This one most probably

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=132774

Bit of a trek for me unfortunately.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”