Injector cleaning - should I bother?

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Nobby
Top Gear

Injector cleaning - should I bother?

Post by Nobby » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:13 pm

Evening all

I’ve been collecting parts in the last few months in preparation for an ultra ultra service. All the bells and whistles this time round, cambelt, all aux bits, PS pump, gearbox service, plus some bits that I haven’t seen anyone do on the RS6 yet. More on that another time.

I’ve also acquired a small 3 litre ultrasonic cleaner and after cleaning some small metal tools I’m amazed at how well it works. So, whilst the old girl is apart is it worth sticking the injectors in for a buzz? I’ll probably get some new seals which look common across the VAG range. Question is if I do it should I submerge the whole thing or just the tip? She’s running fine but every little helps eh….

Cheers
Chris
Daytona RS6 Avant
Rule #36 - At least one gear shall be dropped for every tunnel travelled

** NOW AVAILABLE ** C5 RS6 Cambelt Tool kit rental (also fits other models 3.7/4.2 V8 engines)

TechNick
5th Gear

Re: Injector cleaning - should I bother?

Post by TechNick » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:56 pm

Nobby wrote:...should I submerge the whole thing or just the tip?
< childish snigger >

Appreciate you're going full DIY, but would it be worth getting them flow tested (before and after cleaning), both for peace of mind and to determine if it's made any difference?

Place I've used before fitted new baskets too, as part of a full refurb process (although it's the flow/spray pattern testing that's the real acid test, IMHO).

Nobby
Top Gear

Post by Nobby » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:09 am

It doesn’t count if it’s just the tip eh Nick? :bigblink:
Daytona RS6 Avant

** NOW AVAILABLE ** C5 RS6 Cambelt Tool kit rental (also fits other models 3.7/4.2 V8 engines)

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:44 pm

FWIW I bought this machine 3 years from now :https://www.ebay.fr/itm/255703126227?mk ... edia=EMAIL

It allowed me to identify a couple of weak injectors so I'm glad I did buy the thing.

As far as tip vs full is concerned :
if you put the full injector in the bath, there is a 'chance' you could damage the delicate inner mechanism, but cleaning will obviously be better. For me the strategy was to bath only half of the injector, make a flow measurement after that, and if is still weak then only I give it the full bath, at the risk of breaking it. Throughout all injectors I've done for me and my local RS friends (30-40 injectors?), I've lost two in the process.
RS6 C5 Avant 2003 Daytona Grey
Loba 650 turbos - Wagner IC - 200 cells cats - Milltek cat-back - Hotchkis bars - Bilstein B16 - MTM Wheels - oem coolant cap

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:52 pm

^Good info. :thumbs:
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:41 pm

Glad it helps. Of course filters and white plastic noses have to be removed before ultrasonic cleaning (otherwise some dirt may stay inside...) and changed for new ones after the fact.
You'll find those on Ali for a penny, or here (https://www.ebay.fr/itm/121834983756?mk ... edia=EMAIL) if you're in a hurry, but price is very high for what it is worth..
RS6 C5 Avant 2003 Daytona Grey
Loba 650 turbos - Wagner IC - 200 cells cats - Milltek cat-back - Hotchkis bars - Bilstein B16 - MTM Wheels - oem coolant cap

Nobby
Top Gear

Post by Nobby » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:55 pm

Thanks Classik!
Daytona RS6 Avant

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”